OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Some world class managing here. Took Hill for no reason and now it's tied.

I tend to agree. Hill should've pitched to Holt then Boston most likely pinch hits with a lefty Moreland first. That's when you bring in Alexander with 2 outs.

He also had Baez in the pen. Post game Roberts said Baez wasn't available. Why? Because he pitched 2 innings last night? So did Jansen. Roberts is full of shit.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Some world class managing here. Took Hill for no reason and now it's tied.

Hill was at 91 pitches (he's never thrown more in a postseason game in his career) and gave a free pass to the lead off batter....really?

Then Alexander walks his only guy on 4 pitches....

I guess you can criticize bringing in Madson but you can't criticize taking out Hill.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hill was at 91 pitches (he's never thrown more in a postseason game in his career) and gave a free pass to the lead off batter....really?

Then Alexander walks his only guy on 4 pitches....

I guess you can criticize bringing in Madson but you can't criticize taking out Hill.
Hill also told Roberts he was fading prior to the inning. Which even if you argue Hill should have had more of a leash, it's not exactly common for pitchers to say that to their managers, and basically never happens in such a big spot. I mean if my guy tells me that I get a guy up then and probably pull him after the free pass to open the inning.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
What are your other fan affiliations? We've had interesting combos over the years but I can't recall any Red Sox fans.
I'm a Red Sox fans, Giants fan for football and OKC fan for basketball ( I live in Tulsa so I drive down and catch a handful of games a year with some buddies so it's easy to be a fan of them)
My whole family is from NY most of them are Yankees fan except for my father who is a Mets fan. I've been a Soxs fan since I was a kid and of course big papi is my favorite player.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I too pull my pitcher who has only given up one hit.

You can criticize both the Hill pull AND putting in Madson

This is the almost equivalent of using plus minus in a hockey argument. They were hitting balls at people. Maybe not smoking them but that's not a good way to evaluate a pitcher performance. He threw 91 pitches a postseason career high, the spin rate on his curveball was declining and he put the lead off guy on. It was the right choice.

If he left him in and Hill was the one who let up the Moreland HR, people would be bitching harder at not taking him out that point.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Things that are bad to watch: Red Sox winning the WS

Things that are also bad to watch: Machado winning the WS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad