OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Dodgers won game 7 by hitting 2 big home runs. There is no right or wrong approach. A team that gets hot at the right time of the year tends to go on and win majority of the time. Plenty of teams have bashed their way through the postseason. Daniel Murphy went on a HR spree and took the Mets to WS.

Yankees downfall isn't their lineup. It's the lack of pitching. Starting pitching.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. The hitting philosophy and the starting pitching both need to be addressed.

Reactions: RGY

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The three finalists for the Mets' GM job are Chaim Bloom, Doug Melvin and Bradley Van Wagenen, a sports agent who runs some big firm. Literally three completely different backgrounds. Bloom is an analytics wizard and 35, Melvin is old school and almost twice Bloom's age, and the other guy is a f***ing agent (although presumably inclined). I'd obviously like Bloom, as he seems like he could be the next big thing, but I'm also intrigued by the agent. That would be a really outside-the-box, potentially innovative move which is not something the Mets are known for.

Which means Papa Wilpon will win out and it will be Melvin. Which, I mean f*** that, but he's pretty okay for an old school guy, I guess.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The three finalists for the Mets' GM job are Chaim Bloom, Doug Melvin and Bradley Van Wagenen, a sports agent who runs some big firm. Literally three completely different backgrounds. Bloom is an analytics wizard and 35, Melvin is old school and almost twice Bloom's age, and the other guy is a ****ing agent (although presumably inclined). I'd obviously like Bloom, as he seems like he could be the next big thing, but I'm also intrigued by the agent. That would be a really outside-the-box, potentially innovative move which is not something the Mets are known for.

Which means Papa Wilpon will win out and it will be Melvin. Which, I mean **** that, but he's pretty okay for an old school guy, I guess.
Isn’t that guy DeGrom’s agent

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Doesn’t the idea of a player being more or less ‘clutch’, not exist based on analytics??? Askin for a friend ty
Yeah that's what they say. Over a large sample "clutch" really isn't repeatable.

For my money, people frame clutch the wrong way. It doesn't have to mean elevating your game in tough spots. It can simply be maintaining your established level of success in tough spots. Like a guy doesn't need to see his average shoot up 50 points with 2-out and RISP to be clutch; if he's a .280 hitter and he hits .280 with 2-out and RISP, that to me is clutch, since you'd expect to see his numbers drop there.

The Red Sox just do their thing no matter the pitcher or the moment. That's clutch, in my book. They don't need to be doing better, just continuing to do the thing that won them 108-or-whatever games. The playoffs are supposed to be harder. Repeating what you did in the regular season is no small feat.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah that's what they say. Over a large sample "clutch" really isn't repeatable.

For my money, people frame clutch the wrong way. It doesn't have to mean elevating your game in tough spots. It can simply be maintaining your established level of success in tough spots. Like a guy doesn't need to see his average shoot up 50 points with 2-out and RISP to be clutch; if he's a .280 hitter and he hits .280 with 2-out and RISP, that to me is clutch, since you'd expect to see his numbers drop there.

The Red Sox just do their thing no matter the pitcher or the moment. That's clutch, in my book. They don't need to be doing better, just continuing to do the thing that won them 108-or-whatever games. The playoffs are supposed to be harder. Repeating what you did in the regular season is no small feat.

Or you can be the Yankees who hit .249 as a team and .253 with RISP. It marginally went up. Is that clutch? I guess by that definition it is.

Now the issue is less about clutch, and more about contending teams shouldn't hit .250.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Would you look at that....JD Martinez in an 0-1 count lightens up his swing by shortening up and punching a ball the other way. This team has so much better DISCIPLINE at the plate and it all starts with the APPROACH when they enter the batters box which is based off the PHILOSOPHY of the Team that is put forward by the hitting coach and head coach.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
LA should just throw the damn towel in... Just seems like any time you make any headway against this damn team they come right back and one up you. Enjoy another ring you scruffy looking f***s

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Would you look at that....JD Martinez in an 0-1 count lightens up his swing by shortening up and punching a ball the other way. This team has so much better DISCIPLINE at the plate and it all starts with the APPROACH when they enter the batters box which is based off the PHILOSOPHY of the Team that is put forward by the hitting coach and head coach.

Except Martinez is a hitter known to go the opposite way throughout his career so it's not Boston's coaching.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
When Boston inevitably completes the sweep, you just have to wonder how such a top heavy team won 108 regular season games and only 2 losses in the post-season.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Except Martinez is a hitter known to go the opposite way throughout his career so it's not Boston's coaching.
Their entire team excels at situational hitting, not just Martinez. Cora has brought over the lessons that he learned in Houston. The results speak for themselves.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Their entire team excels at situational hitting, not just Martinez. Cora has brought over the lessons that he learned in Houston. The results speak for themselves.

Or maybe Boston added one of the better hitters in baseball to a lineup that already had Betts/Bogaerts/Benintendi. People are acting like Cora is a wizard.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Red Sox are going to win the World Series in a year that the Eagles and Caps are defending champions. Why us?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm going to be in Boston this Saturday. Chances the Red Sox sweep I'd say are pretty good. I should bring my Rangers jersey and have every Bostonian I know touch it, and steal any locks of hair, dirt, make a capsule, bring it home, and bury it under the MSG ice.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
LA should just throw the damn towel in... Just seems like any time you make any headway against this damn team they come right back and one up you. Enjoy another ring you scruffy looking ****s

How I felt in the LA Kings series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad