OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Herrera called up from AA. WHAT?! That's awesome but so unexpected seeing how the Mets have handled their prospects.

Apparently Herrera was going to be rule 5 eligible this offseason so they picked him to replace Murphy since they had to add Dilson to the 40-man roster either way.

BarbaraAlphanse

Apparently Herrera was going to be rule 5 eligible this offseason so they picked him to replace Murphy since they had to add Dilson to the 40-man roster either way.

Still. We may have had our difference on Reynolds but we're both pretty aligned in what we think about Herrera. I'm excited. I'm going tomorrow. Hope Colon is gone and Montero or Syndergaard is making the start w/ Herrera at 2b. :yo:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Still. We may have had our difference on Reynolds but we're both pretty aligned in what we think about Herrera. I'm excited. I'm going tomorrow. Hope Colon is gone and Montero or Syndergaard is making the start w/ Herrera at 2b. :yo:

I was under impression that Syndergaard wasn't going to pitch this season. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
That move reeks of wilpons saving money on a left fielder but covering it up by them saying they are worried about concussions for TDA

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That move reeks of wilpons saving money on a left fielder but covering it up by them saying they are worried about concussions for TDA

Well, if d'Arnaud is in fact capable of playing a serviceable outfield, it wouldn't be the worst thing. His bat looks like it has 20 HR, .750-.800 OPS potential for sure. There's not much out there on the free agent market that could produce those numbers, and what is out there will probably require a stupid contract. It would be like signing another Curtis Granderson if we go the UFA route. That's not good for any organization, particularly one with questionable finances. Doesn't look like there's much on the trade market either. Lots of teams looking for hitting at the moment.

The skeptical Mets fan in me agrees that it does somewhat reek of Wilpon being a cheap-ass. This is also the first I'm hearing of it. And when you think about it, it's not terrible idea. Again, assuming d'Arnaud is willing/able to play the OF.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

I don't get why people want them to just go out and spend money for a left fielder. Free agents aren't that good anymore and do we really need another big long contract which is what you get most of the time in free agency.

I mean, what is the plan for the outfield. Lagares is our center fielder, and Grandy is our rigthfielder with a bad contract. We have Nimmo who will be ready sometime next year and Conforto who could also be ready as early as late next year.

I don't get it. Why move TDA to the outfield. Why sign somebody just for the sake of signing and "making a splash." I don't give a rats behind how much a team spends, as long as they spend wisely. I think the Mets signing another free agent or making a huge trade for CarGo etc. would actually be a step back.

Let's see what these kids have in them first. I'm very high on Nimmo and think at worst he will be an avg LF. I think he could definitely see a few AS games.

I'm one of the few fans, who actually don't care that they are losing the last couple years. They are going about a full rebuild pretty well right now, and in a year or two could be very dangerous. Gutting the youth for a big time trade for a 30+yr old is probably the worst thing they can do. And signing a free agent OF to another bad contract is probably the second worst.

I am excited to see Herrera play this year though. If he plays well enough, than trade Murphy, but for more prospects (and I love Murphy).

The only position I would actually make a signing for in the offseason is SS because we don't have one in the system that is near ready. I don't think Reynolds is the answer. I think the answer is about 3 years away and in Brooklyn right now. Rosario. Kid could be a stud if he puts it all together. Should start next season in low A and might end in high A.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
It literally makes infinite more sense to platoon Travis and Duda. Travis can hit lefties well enough. Play him at C against righties, and play him at 1B every other/every few LHP. That will let Travis get rest AND allow Plaw into the lineup.

Unless it is a cost-saving move and not a move to field the best team. In which case, **** the Wilpons.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It literally makes infinite more sense to platoon Travis and Duda. Travis can hit lefties well enough. Play him at C against righties, and play him at 1B every other/every few LHP. That will let Travis get rest AND allow Plaw into the lineup.

Unless it is a cost-saving move and not a move to field the best team. In which case, **** the Wilpons.

I don't know that I agree. What will be easier to find--a RH platoon complement to Duda, or a corner OF who has a bat comparable to d'Arnaud?

Corner OF production is a bigger problem in my eyes that a platoon partner for Duda. If d'Arnaud can fill the need, it's not a terrible idea.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't know that I agree. What will be easier to find--a RH platoon complement to Duda, or a corner OF who has a bat comparable to d'Arnaud?

Corner OF production is a bigger problem in my eyes that a platoon partner for Duda. If d'Arnaud can fill the need, it's not a terrible idea.

Again if you move TDA to LF than where does that leave Nimmo and Conforto? Unless the Mets aren't that high on either.

If you have Nimmo manning left next year (mid season) and Lagares in center with Grandy in right you will have a great defense as well.

I just don't see moving TDA to the outfield working out that well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Again if you move TDA to LF than where does that leave Nimmo and Conforto? Unless the Mets aren't that high on either.

If you have Nimmo manning left next year (mid season) and Lagares in center with Grandy in right you will have a great defense as well.

I just don't see moving TDA to the outfield working out that well.

It's not a bad problem to have.

However, do you want to go into next season hoping that Nimmo is ready mid-season? What if he's not? Who plays LF? What if Granderson continues to decline? Are we EVER going to be a competitive club, or are we okay having a black hole in LF until Nimmo is ready? I think (if he's capable) then you can give TDA a look in left. If Nimmo comes knocking, great--you can platoon TDA and Duda at 1B with TDA also getting starts at C with Plawecki picking up the scraps. And if Nimmo isn't ready, that's okay because you have TDA in LF.

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves worrying about Conforto and where he fits. I don't buy any of the hype that he's going to have any impact next season. He's playing good but not great in SS ball. That's fine, but a far cry from the majors. I understand he's advanced, blah blah... Way too early to shuffle things at the ML level in anticipation of his arrival. When he actuallt gets close to prime time you can start worrying about where he fits.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
It's not a bad problem to have.

However, do you want to go into next season hoping that Nimmo is ready mid-season? What if he's not? Who plays LF? What if Granderson continues to decline? Are we EVER going to be a competitive club, or are we okay having a black hole in LF until Nimmo is ready? I think (if he's capable) then you can give TDA a look in left. If Nimmo comes knocking, great--you can platoon TDA and Duda at 1B with TDA also getting starts at C with Plawecki picking up the scraps. And if Nimmo isn't ready, that's okay because you have TDA in LF.

You're right it's a good problem to have. And I have less problem about moving TDA to LF than going out and trading for CarGo or another bad FA signing (the spending money approach). But I'm not sure that Plawecki (whom I love) is going to be an improvement over TDA. Plawecki is not going to develop the power that TDA has, and I think that Nimmo has much more power potential than TDA has. And if Grandy declines further (I hope not) than we are stuck with another untradeable contract.

And truthfully I don't really see us as contenders until 2016. We might be a .500 team next year but, I don't see us making the big leap until 2016. That team should have a developed Syndergaard and Matz to go along with Harvey and Wheeler. Also Nimmo will have some big league time under his belt and Herrera will as well.

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves worrying about Conforto and where he fits. I don't buy any of the hype that he's going to have any impact next season. He's playing good but not great in SS ball. That's fine, but a far cry from the majors. I understand he's advanced, blah blah... Way too early to shuffle things at the ML level in anticipation of his arrival. When he actuallt gets close to prime time you can start worrying about where he fits.

True and I don't think he will have any impact next season, but he could be a surprise callup in Sept. I think he will start in St. Lucie next year and be moved up to Binghamton after the first half.

Most likely he is a mid 2016 call-up.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I miss the days of really good players hitting UFA.

Not that Wilpon would open up the checkbook. :(

Teams are going to get sick of getting burned on massive extensions and it'll swing back the other way eventually.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I def don't want anymore aging bad FA contracts either I just hate we are never in on any of he Cubans or we wont trade for young players with bigger contracts..It seems we are stymied at every move...With Nimmo and Conforto coming soon with Plawecki I looks like more bad baseball for a few more years just in time for Harvey to leave

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Now talk of TDA moving to left to get Plawecki in the line up next year

As a Blue Jays fan, given TDA's injury problems in the minors and the general risk of injury for catchers and having a bat as highly touted as his, I didn't think he would stick at C. How's he been for you guys, BTW?

BarbaraAlphanse

Herrera has some power. Know he hit into a DP and struck out but he's dangerous at the plate.

BarbaraAlphanse

Also, tDa has built a relationship w/ this pitching staff. His bat is coming alive but it still isn't as powerful as a corner OF's bat should be. His value is at C. He has the potential to be an above average to star C. He'd be an average to slightly above average corner OF if slotted there.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BwP6sibIUAA0MFs.png

hahahahahahahaha

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yankees are like your ex girlfriend who refuses to get close to you, but yet refuses to leave you alone as well.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
TDA moves well for a catcher but it'd be silly to move him to LF.

Also agree with BlueshirtBlitz about platooning TDA at 1B.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

You can always get a guy on the short term. Someone like Cuddyer who's been injured this year. He benefits from Coors but is still a solid hitter.

BarbaraAlphanse

You can always get a guy on the short term. Someone like Cuddyer who's been injured this year. He benefits from Coors but is still a solid hitter.

I'd rather we signed Markakis. Then when Conforto or Nimmo was ready, shipped Granderson and had an OF of Markakis, Lagares, Conforto/Nimmo.

MArkakis isn't the ideal option, but he's the best corner OF of the bunch this offseason. I'd rather we signed a true #2 hitter anyway. Markakis hits for much better average than Granderson. Gets on base more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad