Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Loving most, if not all, of those rule changes.....pending the actual details and Patriot's Day.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
i dont get why they think its the length of the game that's stopping some from becoming fans of baseball.

The issue some have is with the game itself. It has no clock. There are long stretches where "nothing" happens. It is a slow/thinking game.

Whereas football there's something happening every 30 seconds. It doesnt take as much effort/attention span to watch.

The average MLB game length = 2 hours 55 minutes
The average NFL game length = 3 hours 12 minutes

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Hate the idea of moving the TDL up, and I really don't like the runner starts on second base idea. The issue isn't length of game, it's the dead time during the actual game.

Other than that? Bring them all on, especially the NL DH, and requiring a pitcher to face 3 batters, as well as the pitch clock.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
i dont get why they think its the length of the game that's stopping some from becoming fans of baseball.

The issue some have is with the game itself. It has no clock. There are long stretches where "nothing" happens. It is a slow/thinking game.

Whereas football there's something happening every 30 seconds. It doesnt take as much effort/attention span to watch.

The average MLB game length = 2 hours 55 minutes
The average NFL game length = 3 hours 12 minutes

Bolded one is boring and the other provides constant action and motion

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Good

Universal DH (it's time)

Single Trade Deadline

Expansion of rosters by one

Reduced mound visits by one

Tweaks to draft order

Two-sport athlete rule

Bad

Batter minimum for pitchers

Pitch clock

Extra inning runner on 2nd base
I like them combinding the TDL's, but moving it up prior to the ASB is dumb. You want more action not less.

No issue with pitch clock. If a player is mad about having to throw the ball within 20 seconds after getting it back from the catcher, I don't know what to tell you.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like them combinding the TDL's, but moving it up prior to the ASB is dumb. You want more action not less.

No issue with pitch clock. If a player is mad about having to throw the ball within 20 seconds after getting it back from the catcher, I don't know what to tell you.

Kinda missed that part but totally agree, that's too early.

I'd love to see how many times a pitcher actually takes longer than 20 seconds to throw a pitch over the course of a season. I don't think it happens all that often (I could be wrong). To me if I'm a pitcher it's just one more thing I have to think about when deciding on what my next move is, making sure I do it before a clock runs out.

If it was an epidemic problem, I can see it, but I don't think it is.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I like the combined trade deadline, honestly any earlier than July 31 is too early, still almost 40% of the season left on July 31.

I hope the close the rule loophole which has allowed guys not on the roster all year to get called up in mid september and then suddenly end up on playoff rosters

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
  • Batter gets one timeout per at bat, otherwise get in the box and go. Don't like a hard clock on the pitcher; I don't care if they take 30 seconds sometimes if they don't make a habit of it.
  • No reason to increase roster size if you cut back on pitching changes, it'll just enable teams to play more roster games; but the 12 pitcher max is good. Better yet, 11.
  • Runner on 2nd is babyish.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Mound visits, expanded rosters, and pitch clock are fine by me.

Universal DH should be voted in but not go into effect until the 2020 season - it's unfair to NL teams to do it now, they had all offseason to arrange their team with no expectation of a DH.

The early trade deadline, extra innings runner, and the 3 batter minimum proposals are just awful in every way.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
For the most part, I generally like the proposed rules. Here are some quick thoughts:

DH - Just do it. The DH is used at virtually all high levels of baseball except in the NL. Waste of time having a guy stand in the box only to attempt a bunt with two strikes on him.

Three hitter rule - I know why they're proposing this and I like that they are trying to address the frequency of pitching changes. My issue is with loopholes being exposed like "ouch, I'm injured" and then we have to sit through an even longer process.

Pitch clock - Do it. Games in the minors MOVE. Throw the ball!

TDL - I like consolidating, but don't like moving to before the ASG. Keep it on the 31st of July.

Runner on second - I actually like this, but it needs to be in the 12th inning (or something like that). Japan has used this rule for a while. I do not like it for the playoffs though.

Major league contracts - This may be another loophole-filled rules. Now guys drafted out of high school will get a bunch of money to forego college because they are a "two sport" athlete. Not sure how this will be enforced.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The NL definitely needs to adopt the DH for once. This crap of watching pitchers being automatic outs is so boring. The rest of the changes I'm kind of meh about, but the DH needs to have been done years ago.
Maybe a universal dh is a precursor to non al/nl realignment

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Three hitter rule - I know why they're proposing this and I like that they are trying to address the frequency of pitching changes. My issue is with loopholes being exposed like "ouch, I'm injured" and then we have to sit through an even longer process.

Just make it a mandatory X day DL stint if they leave the game with an ouchie before facing the required # of batters.

Reactions: JRull86

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I hate the pace-of-game overcorrection that Manfred seems to be on

We definitely need to keep the Papelbons of the world from standing there for 90 seconds between pitches shaking off his catcher, stepping off, rubbing the ball, adjusting his cup, etc.

But baseball aficionados are able to recognize the importance of each pitch and can think through the strategy of the moment between pitches. I'm all for trying to make the game appealing to the populace, but not at the cost of ruining it.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Why would you take strategy out of the game by adding a three batter minimum? Ridiculous

I'd argue it adds strategy if anything. Right now, going lefty on lefty in late innings is often a no-brainer. Now, you'd really have to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad