Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The DH rule should happen.

Starting extra innings with a runner on 2nd base? Fold the league right f***ing now because that is so... six year old style baseball..... I might stop watching if the MLB thinks so little of itself.

The MLB is shooting itself in the foot with an AT-4. Ratings may be down but do not embarrass the rich history of the sport with juvenile rule changes.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The only rule I vehemently dislike is the second base runner starting with the extra innings. Literally how would that work? Is it automatically the next man up who gets skipped in the batting order, and goes directly to second as if he hit a double? Seems like a really, really bad situation, especially if you happen to have a known home run producer starting off the tenth inning.

I maybe could see doing this in a very, very late inning during the regular season. I get that there’s no good that comes of a 3 AM game on a Sunday night/Monday morning when both teams have to leave town to play the next day. But starting out on second base just feels wrong. I’d rather end a game on a tie.

The DH for the National League needs to happen. It’s ridiculous to have two different games being played, and the DH is infinitely more interesting than watching pitchers attempt to bat, and the added “strategy” of NL managers playing 3-card Monte with their batting order to skip pitchers.

I understand that the implementation could be problematic, and I’d be happy to give the NL this year to adjust their roster, and start it in 2020. Hell, I’d even say it’s reasonable to automatically give the NL the home field advantage in the World Series for the first year following the change as “compensation”.

As far as the other things - yes, please do anything to make the game move faster. Stop all the idiotic, ritualistic shit that batters and pitchers do in the name of “preparation”. You’re in the majors now, bud. If you can’t get prepped in seven seconds, you’re on the wrong stage. If I want to see a grown-ass man touch himself multiple times, I’ll watch Michael Jackson’s “Black or White”.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Baseball been going 100 years but this new group of computer junkies feel need to mess with it.Same with hockey rules .

These rules aren't being changed by "computer junkies"

If anything, they're a reaction by the old guard to the ways in which statistical analysis have influenced the game (pitching matchups and shifts - which Manfred supposedly also was looking into banning). The game has constantly evolved strategically. The way it's evolved in the last two decades has made for more stoppages for pitching changes and longer games, so the league is trying to make the games shorter at the expense of actual strategy.

Reactions: dabid

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I really, really like most of the proposed rule changes.

- DH: I am leaning towards yes, but it's not a huge issue for me if it wasn't coming for the NL. While I get their argument that it is "pure" having the pitcher bat, almost every other league has moved on from that concept.

- Single deadline: Yes. Feels like 31st of July is too late. Question is how it impacts the amount of trades due to teams not willing to sell if they still feel like contending for that 2nd WC spot. But I am also leaning towards yes on this. The waiver-suff is annoying anyway.

26 man rosters: I get their thinking, but one more roster player could lead to even more BP options. I'd agree to it if they also made a rule that bullpens can not feature more than 6-7 pitchers max.

Reduced mound visits by one: Big yes

Batter minimum for pitchers: Torn on this one. I dislike the time it takes to change pitchers and all, but I'd rather - as I said above - limit the players you can have in your BP on a nightly basis. The issue with pitching changes is that there is a commercial break in between. Manager walks to the mound (like it's a walk in the park on sundays), has to take the ball, makes the sign, reliever walking from the OF to the mound. And gets quite a few warm-up pitches after already having thrown like 100 in the bp before.
It's the long amount of time that pisses off people, not the tactical part. Teams are trending going away from the 1 out LOOGY anyway. You need to make BP-spots even more precious, so teams cannot waste away roster spots for LOOGYs like candy.

Pitch clock: YES x 1000. Would be the best rule change ever. I am sick and tired of pitchers standing around forever doing nothing. Take the BALL and THROW IT. There is no need to wait a lifetime. It's the lack of urgency that is pissing off people. Football is a tough sport. Imagine that sport not having a clock of 40 seconds. Imagine the NFL not having a play clock? Some plays would take forever due to waiting for RBs or other players to recover in order not to sit out a play.
I can't guarantee the MLB would see s spike in ratings due to games not lasting so long, but I have to imagine it will have a positive impact. NFL games are lasting too long as well and they also will have to adapt when their ratings keep declining.

Extra inning runner on 2nd base: TERRIBLE. I am absolutely against anything gimmicky (I also very much dislike the shootout in the NHL and 3 on 3 play). I get that people growing up with US-sports don't like the concept of a draw, but why do we always need a definite winner in every match? Sometimes a draw is the fairest outcome. Just call it a draw after 9 Innings OR make it a draw after 12 Innings during the reg. season if you want to go the NFL-way

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Don't mind any of the proposed changes.

The way the 2nd base runner works is whomever made the previous 3rd out gets put on 2nd, if I recall correctly.

I'd only start this one after the 12th inning, and only in the regular season.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Don't mind any of the proposed changes.

The way the 2nd base runner works is whomever made the previous 3rd out gets put on 2nd, if I recall correctly.

I'd only start this one after the 12th inning, and only in the regular season.

Even better. Reward the player who made the last out.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Imagine bringing in a lefty to face another lefty hitter and you're required to leave him in for 2 right handed hitters after lets say judge and Stanton. What a mess. I agree with 22park, leave the game alone

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Imagine bringing in a lefty to face another lefty hitter and you're required to leave him in for 2 right handed hitters after lets say judge and Stanton. What a mess. I agree with 22park, leave the game alone
They should focus on pace of play and DH if anything. The rest are changes that no one wants.

Go to bed at 1am if you must. That game that went until 8am (slight exaggeration) is something to remember for a while win or lose. Tradition is practically synonymous with baseball.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
They should focus on pace of play and DH if anything. The rest are changes that no one wants.

Go to bed at 1am if you must. That game that went until 8am (slight exaggeration) is something to remember for a while win or lose. Tradition is practically synonymous with baseball.

They need bigger rivalries. I think a team in Montreal in Bostons division creates a rivalry with Toronto and NY. I like the pitcher batting tbh. I could live with a pitch count I guess. Baseball declined I believe bc less of the small towns in America play it like they used to. When i drive through NH and VT you see a lot of abandoned fields. Montreal as well

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't get the heated opposition to the 2nd base runner extra innings rule.

The NHL and NFL have modifications for overtime, and fans got used to them. Games need to end, especially where there are 160 of them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Considering the average game has nearly doubled in duration over that period, it's about time they do something about it.

pretty simple.

get rid of TV. Its TV that inflates the game duration. 5 minutes of commercials every half inning, every pitching change, and now even on some reviews adds up pretty damn quick

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
The only rule I vehemently dislike is the second base runner starting with the extra innings. Literally how would that work? Is it automatically the next man up who gets skipped in the batting order, and goes directly to second as if he hit a double? Seems like a really, really bad situation, especially if you happen to have a known home run producer starting off the tenth inning.

I maybe could see doing this in a very, very late inning during the regular season. I get that there’s no good that comes of a 3 AM game on a Sunday night/Monday morning when both teams have to leave town to play the next day. But starting out on second base just feels wrong. I’d rather end a game on a tie.

The DH for the National League needs to happen. It’s ridiculous to have two different games being played, and the DH is infinitely more interesting than watching pitchers attempt to bat, and the added “strategy” of NL managers playing 3-card Monte with their batting order to skip pitchers.

I understand that the implementation could be problematic, and I’d be happy to give the NL this year to adjust their roster, and start it in 2020. Hell, I’d even say it’s reasonable to automatically give the NL the home field advantage in the World Series for the first year following the change as “compensation”.

As far as the other things - yes, please do anything to make the game move faster. Stop all the idiotic, ritualistic **** that batters and pitchers do in the name of “preparation”. You’re in the majors now, bud. If you can’t get prepped in seven seconds, you’re on the wrong stage. If I want to see a grown-ass man touch himself multiple times, I’ll watch Michael Jackson’s “Black or White”.
It's called the "International Tie Breaker" rule in softball. In softball, the runner is the player who made the last out the prior inning.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The new rules will just drive more people away imo. Doubt it brings in more casual viewers. Seems like a headache to keep track of. Is somebody going to start magically watching baseball bc of a pitch clock and guy at 2nd base in extras

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The new rules will just drive more people away imo. Doubt it brings in more casual viewers. Seems like a headache to keep track of

agreed.

All they're going to do is piss off the existing fans and attract no new ones. People who dont like baseball, for the most part dont like it because of the game itself. At its core its brief periods of "action" and is a thinking/strategy game.

its like boxing vs MMA.

Boxing is long fights, often with periods of little action. There's a lot of strategy involved and most fights involve a lot of patience

MMA is short fights. Most are over in under 10 minutes, and the longest only go 5 rounds. Lots of quick action, not as much focused on strategy and planning.

you dont see boxing adding artificial rules like "fighters must throw at least 1 punch every 10 seconds" or "you lose points if you tie up more than once per round" or "if the fight hits round 10, the ring shrinks in size"

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

The NHL and NFL have modifications for overtime, and fans got used to them. Games need to end, especially where there are 160 of them.
Let's just make games 6 innings like Little League.

Or perhaps 4. Too many injuries.

It's called the "International Tie Breaker" rule in softball. In softball, the runner is the player who made the last out the prior inning.

Softball is a great place for it to stay!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Love the MLB playoffs but for me to get into baseball games in reg season they have to get rid of the time between innings.
When teams are switching between inings, should be no more than a 2/3 minute delay. That would shave off at least half an hour.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I get up at 5am every weekday, if I want to watch an 18 inning regular season game I stay up if not I go to bed, why add a stupid little league rule because some people arent smart enough to decide when to go to bed.

If they are concerned about playoff games running long stop the pre game nonsense, start on time whether it is 7 or 8, pretty simple

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

The second one concerns me.

I would think you’d start seeing a ton of fake injuries to get guys off the mound because that proposed change gives the team batting a ton of advantage in terms of matchups.

It would start to look ridiculous (and obviously like the fakery it was) rather quickly, but how can an umpire prove a guy being injured or not injured? God forbid you force a guy to continue and he ends his career. Lawsuit time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad