Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Interesting move. Dewey getting his number retired?

oof, I hope not.

He was a hell of a player, but definitely not "number retirement" worthy. Really it should be a very special case to have your number retired without being a HOF'er, or MVP/Cy Young winner.

As much as it got eye rolls, I'd argue Cedric Maxwell did more to justify a number retirement than Evans did

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
oof, I hope not.

He was a hell of a player, but definitely not "number retirement" worthy. Really it should be a very special case to have your number retired without being a HOF'er, or MVP/Cy Young winner.

As much as it got eye rolls, I'd argue Cedric Maxwell did more to justify a number retirement than Evans did
Finals MVP guaranteed it plus Max and Red had an interesting relationship.

I do agree with you on the retirement requirements. I'd like Eck's number up there but I don't think he played here long enough.

Aside from Pedroia at some point, Clemens is the only guy I can justify being up there at this moment

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

I do agree with you on the retirement requirements. I'd like Eck's number up there but I don't think he played here long enough.

Aside from Pedroia at some point, Clemens is the only guy I can justify being up there at this moment
Oakland already does that in regards to the Eck so Boston doesn't have to....

Reactions: Alicat

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

yeah, agree on Eck. Wasn't here long enough for it. If he had some of his great closer seasons here I could make a case, but only Oakland sounds right.

If it wasnt for the roids I'd say Manny would be up there.

I think Clemens goes up soon, he's mended fences with the org. And agree that Pedroia probably goes up eventually.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
yeah, agree on Eck. Wasn't here long enough for it. If he had some of his great closer seasons here I could make a case, but only Oakland sounds right.

If it wasnt for the roids I'd say Manny would be up there.

I think Clemens goes up soon, he's mended fences with the org. And agree that Pedroia probably goes up eventually.
100% agree on Manny. He'd be a lock if he hadn't done the roids.

The only other guy I'd be ok with them retiring is Jason Varitek.

Nomar would have been up there if he had stayed a Sox and hadn't tapered off.

When you really think about it, there aren't many guys out there that are worthy of a number retirement.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
100% agree on Manny. He'd be a lock if he hadn't done the roids.

The only other guy I'd be ok with them retiring is Jason Varitek.

Nomar would have been up there if he had stayed a Sox and hadn't tapered off.

When you really think about it, there aren't many guys out there that are worthy of a number retirement.

Forgot about Varitek. Yeah, could see him going up for his play and being "the captain" and his locker room presence. Like a Pesky or O'Reilly

Current roster, i think Betts is the only one trending that way. Even then he'd need to keep this level of play for another 10 years at least

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m pretty sure i saw varitek and swihart in a picture at the super bowl together. I love that he’s still involved with the team

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Huge Dwight Evans fan but he doesn't deserve to have his number retired. Was never a dominant player and not in HOF. Great player, great Red Sox but you start to devalue the number retirement process if you have one a year for the sake of having one.

Could do it like Maple Leafs do or find another way to honor the player besides the team HOF for players like Evans.

Agree Clemens should be up there, dominant player for many years with the Sox and easily would have broken 200 wins with some bullpen help his last couple seasons in Boston.

Reactions: DKH

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m pretty sure i saw varitek and swihart in a picture at the super bowl together. I love that he’s still involved with the team
Makes sense as Tek played at Georgia Tech and lives in that area at least part time.

Love that he, Pedro, Wakefield and Papi are all still involved

Reactions: CDJ

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Owners/GMs have either:

A) realized free agency is a losing bet
B) colluded to try and lower the salaries league-wide while raking in record revenue

I tend to lean towards B

I never thought about it like that..

I agree with you on B

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I never thought about it like that..

I agree with you on B

or they just dont want to pay a .240 hitter $400 million dollars.

Harper and his agent have completely over rated his value and as of yet haven't moved from it.

The Nationals offered Harper the largest free agent contract in American sports history, 10 years, $300 million. He said no

Machado is going to wait for Harper to sign. That way the teams that "missed out" on Harper will be more desperate to sign him and he can get more $$ out of the deal

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLB may have some MAJOR rule changes in 2019

upload_2019-2-6_12-9-2.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...s-create-universal-dh/?utm_term=.19ef4a631acf

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The NL definitely needs to adopt the DH for once. This crap of watching pitchers being automatic outs is so boring. The rest of the changes I'm kind of meh about, but the DH needs to have been done years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad