OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I feel like Hughes has 100x more marketability than Kakko. Not a reason to pick one player over another, but if everything else is equal that does mean something, especially for rival franchises.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
After the news that the Mets GM has been managing games from home and directing the staff when to pull pitchers, I will no longer support the Mets until the ownership is gone.

f*** the Wilpons for running this team into the ground. Absolutely embarrassing they are not one of the best teams in the league year after year in this market without a salary cap in baseball. Much like the Yankees and Dodgers.

f*** them and I wish they joined Bernie Madoff in prison.

I'll support the players and root for them, but I refuse to support the team, go to games, watch games, and spend money on them. I'm done. I honestly wish they were the ones relocating to Montreal and not Tampa. f***ing assholes

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
After the news that the Mets GM has been managing games from home and directing the staff when to pull pitchers, I will no longer support the Mets until the ownership is gone.

**** the Wilpons for running this team into the ground. Absolutely embarrassing they are not one of the best teams in the league year after year in this market without a salary cap in baseball. Much like the Yankees and Dodgers.

**** them and I wish they joined Bernie Madoff in prison.

I'll support the players and root for them, but I refuse to support the team, go to games, watch games, and spend money on them. I'm done. I honestly wish they were the ones relocating to Montreal and not Tampa. ****ing *******s

if you feel the need youre completely welcome to ditch them to join me as a cubs fan. i waited since i was 10 to see the '16 win and it was worth it… and they blasted the mother f***ing braves tonight too :thumbu:

cant stand them

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
if you feel the need youre completely welcome to ditch them to join me as a cubs fan. :thumbu:

Nope, I just won't root for a team, except the Rays because they've always been my second favorite. But f*** them too since they're relocating.

I will continue to root for the players and cheer them on, I just won't continue to watch games and buy tickets and merchandise.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Nope, I just won't root for a team, except the Rays because they've always been my second favorite. But **** them too since they're relocating.

I will continue to root for the players and cheer them on, I just won't continue to watch games and buy tickets and merchandise.

it was half joking…..no fan can just switch teams like that.

i was lucky to latch on to my teams as a kid and thats it. its a part of me

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I was at the game last night and totally lost my f***ing shit when they put him and Adam Sandler on the scoreboard. Total surprise for me.

I had a Devils hat on (intentionally) and immediately started screaming "LET'S f***ING GO BABY WE GOT 'EM!" followed by getting a few others in the left field bleachers to join in an LGD chant.

The girl three rows in front of me was *visibly* disgusted and got a few other noticeable glares when I started high-fiving the two guys near me who were also from Jersey. :laugh:

Reactions: Patrik26

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

**** the Wilpons for running this team into the ground. Absolutely embarrassing they are not one of the best teams in the league year after year in this market without a salary cap in baseball. Much like the Yankees and Dodgers.

**** them and I wish they joined Bernie Madoff in prison.

I'll support the players and root for them, but I refuse to support the team, go to games, watch games, and spend money on them. I'm done. I honestly wish they were the ones relocating to Montreal and not Tampa. ****ing *******s

I pretty much quit the Mets years ago. I can't even support the minors considering how MLB treats those players. I read about them and watch highlights just so I can have something to chat about to some baseball fanatics at work.

When they hired Van Wagener as GM, I burst out laughing. What could go wrong hiring a player-agent as GM? Especially a player agent who has multiple clients on the team. Fans should be pining for the days of Omar Minaya at this point.

I wonder if Mickey Callaway is doing bullpen mismanagement on purpose to stick it to Van Wagener. Callaway wins either way. Either he gets fired and gets a nice payout for doing nothing or VW gets canned.

Either way, Jeff Wilpon is THE problem. He's a typical trust fund baby. I think he sees the team as a source of entertainment for himself. Looking at the problems the Mets have, I have no idea why Jacob deGrom signed a long term deal. They're just as much of a tire fire as the Knicks.

If fans want the Wilpons to sell the team, a Tampa Rays attendance rate might help

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Rays moved to New Jersey, how many of you would switch allegiances? Or at least buy season tickets?

A) They wouldn’t, it’s either Montreal or bust
B) The Mets are making that hypothetical decision harder by the year :P

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So in regards to the current state of the Met's, what is the major gripe with the Wilpons? Is it because they were suckered by an agent's sales pitch?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
So in regards to the current state of the Met's, what is the major gripe with the Wilpons? Is it because they were suckered by an agent's sales pitch?

I think the biggest issue is that they've been frugal since the Madoff scandal and continue to say that they won't spend the money because the "team" is in dire financial straits. Everybody knows that's bullshit. They seem to have enough money to develop the new Belmont arena for the Islanders, though.

Fred has had his issues, but I think it's been Jeff's involvement in the day to day activities of the team has been obvious. He personally pits his manager against the GM, the GM against the players, the players against the manager, etc. The medical staffs (plural!) have been jokes. The Willie Randolph firing. Throwing money at shit players (Mo Vaughn, Tom Glavine, etc.)

Go to Deadspin and search for LOLMets. That will give you a nice history. Or read this

A Complete History of Media Reports Chronicling the Wilpons’ Meddling in New York Mets Baseball…

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The whole situation has to make you look at how Calloway has been handling the bullpen in a different light.

How much of the mismanagement has actually been him and not the GM?

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
July 6, Yankees @ Rays, first row on the left field wall by the 370 sign ran me only $117 with fees for two tickets on the primary market... I dunno whether that's a good or bad thing.

Regardless, so taken aback by the affordability for first row seats against a marquee opponent on a Saturday late afternoon that I told my buddy not to worry about it and just buy the beers.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
If Rays moved to New Jersey, how many of you would switch allegiances? Or at least buy season tickets?

Ah, yes, the test of loyalty that Rangers fans from Long Island went through in 1972 and from New Jersey in 1982.

Seeing as the Yankee tradition in my family goes like this...

Grandpa: Babe Ruth
Dad: Mickey Mantle
Me: Derek Jeter

... there's no alternative.

I also believe that the Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and perhaps even the Red Sox (don't get me started on why there's so many Sox fans in North Jersey nowadays) would all take serious umbrage.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Jersey will never get a baseball team.

But if that were to happen I'd switch immediately and never look back, and I'm a lifelong Mets fan whose been in Brooklyn for 20 years.

F the Wilpons. That's how bad they are.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
July 6, Yankees @ Rays, first row on the left field wall by the 370 sign ran me only $117 with fees for two tickets on the primary market... I dunno whether that's a good or bad thing.

Regardless, so taken aback by the affordability for first row seats against a marquee opponent on a Saturday late afternoon that I told my buddy not to worry about it and just buy the beers.
Dang, did he kick your dog or something?

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Dang, did he kick your dog or something?

I'm confused. :laugh:

No, he just offered to pay for his ticket (we're still in our mid 20s and have the broke kid mentality) before I bought them and I was shocked that it was that cheap.

(I know beers are expensive at games but I don't think I can drink $60 inside considering we'll obviously be pregaming, haha.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the biggest issue is that they've been frugal since the Madoff scandal and continue to say that they won't spend the money because the "team" is in dire financial straits. Everybody knows that's bull****. They seem to have enough money to develop the new Belmont arena for the Islanders, though.

Fred has had his issues, but I think it's been Jeff's involvement in the day to day activities of the team has been obvious. He personally pits his manager against the GM, the GM against the players, the players against the manager, etc. The medical staffs (plural!) have been jokes. The Willie Randolph firing. Throwing money at **** players (Mo Vaughn, Tom Glavine, etc.)

Go to Deadspin and search for LOLMets. That will give you a nice history. Or read this

A Complete History of Media Reports Chronicling the Wilpons’ Meddling in New York Mets Baseball…

It's not that they don't spend, it's (other than the Omar era, pre-Madoff and pre-Jeff being the everyday guy) they don't spend on premium talent compared to the other biggest-market teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox when given their market they should be. Nor will they spend on managers or staffing the analytics department - supposedly the Yankees have like twenty guys on staff compared to the Mets' three.

They'll overpay second-tier guys to feint at spending and overpay over the hill players like Cano for obvious reasons (Cano being Brodie's former client, them 'saving' money on the contract by giving the Mariners Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak each of who's now more productive in the NL East than Cano seemingly will ever be as a Met) but won't ever get in on Machado/Harper types.

And Jeff is every bit the airhead James Dolan is and even more meddling day-to-day. He and the organization PR blunder their way to death, from when Citi Field opened and it was more a shrine to Fred's Brooklyn Dodgers than it was to the Mets. The whole organization right now is a gong show in large part cause everyone wants to do their job and someone else's that they aren't qualified for. Jeff's an owner playing GM, Brodie's an agent who shouldn't be GM that's also playing manager, Mickey's the manager who just wants to be one of the guys in the locker room.

Reactions: tr83

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm confused. :laugh:

No, he just offered to pay for his ticket (we're still in our mid 20s and have the broke kid mentality) before I bought them and I was shocked that it was that cheap.

(I know beers are expensive at games but I don't think I can drink $60 inside considering we'll obviously be pregaming, haha.)

;)

Reactions: New Jersey

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not that they don't spend, it's (other than the Omar era, pre-Madoff and pre-Jeff being the everyday guy) they don't spend on premium talent compared to the other biggest-market teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox when given their market they should be. Nor will they spend on managers or staffing the analytics department - supposedly the Yankees have like twenty guys on staff compared to the Mets' three.

They'll overpay second-tier guys to feint at spending and overpay over the hill players like Cano for obvious reasons (Cano being Brodie's former client, them 'saving' money on the contract by giving the Mariners Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak each of who's now more productive in the NL East than Cano seemingly will ever be as a Met) but won't ever get in on Machado/Harper types.

And Jeff is every bit the airhead James Dolan is and even more meddling day-to-day. He and the organization PR blunder their way to death, from when Citi Field opened and it was more a shrine to Fred's Brooklyn Dodgers than it was to the Mets.
Personally I wanted no part of the Harper or Machado deals.

To me Cano looked like such a bad move right off the bat, bringing in the last 4 years of a mega contract, those are the years you know are going to bite you in the azz. But it was money spent, just not well spent. People wanted to say it was worth it because of Diaz, but that doesn't seem to be holding up well either. Familia is another just putrid contract. And those 3 players, especially the relievers, are killing the Mets.

So I look at the current state of the Met's and I think the issue is BVW. Now do we want to pin that on the Wilpons for hiring him? I can see it, like the Cano deal, I didn't like the idea of bringing in an agent, and his early tenure of favoring his former clients seems to back that up. The early stages of the BVW era could not look much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad