OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Umps have been so bad this series. Just so bad.

Well there's that too lol...part of me thinks we just see umpiring as getting worse every year cause the technology chronologing their mistakes is better. But maybe they are actually getting worse cause it's not like there's some big pool of people who actually want to grow up to become umpires and that pool's probably diminishing by the year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So apparently the same ump who had the bad call tonight was involved in the doozy of an 'infield fly' during the 2012 Wild Card game with the Cards and Braves lol

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I dont understand why some people are saying this is a "bad call", unless they just dont know the rules.

And for the life of me I dont know why this review took so long. It seemed pretty obvious to me it was the correct call. My SUSPICION is the reason the review took so long is not to determine if it was interference, but to determine whether the runner was already safe by the time the "interference" occurred.

Call.jpg

EDIT: I'm actually even more shocked that so many people have no idea what the lines along first base mean, even people who claim to be baseball fans.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The argument against it being a bad call is it's just a bad rule. It's either that or bad judgement. Essentially Turner was penalized for the pitcher's bad throw, he's allowed to go for the base.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I dont understand why some people are saying this is a "bad call", unless they just dont know the rules.

And for the life of me I dont know why this review took so long. It seemed pretty obvious to me it was the correct call. My SUSPICION is the reason the review took so long is not to determine if it was interference, but to determine whether the runner was already safe by the time the "interference" occurred.

Call.jpg

EDIT: I'm actually even more shocked that so many people have no idea what the lines along first base mean, even people who claim to be baseball fans.

Yeah, you're not allowed to be an inch inside the foul line. Zero tolerance on the first base line, otherwise you'd see guys running way inside it to try to break up throws just like that. Obvious and correct call.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The argument against it being a bad call is it's just a bad rule. It's either that or bad judgement. Essentially Turner was penalized for the pitcher's bad throw, he's allowed to go for the base.

Well that's a separate argument, but there are definitely hoards of people calling it a "bad call", which it is not. And I dont think you can change the rule either, or the abuse would be mayhem.

Similar thing exists in hockey. People say the defensive zone D.O.G. penalty is "dumb", but those people either never played hockey or dont remember hockey 30 years ago. The D.O.G. is a wise rule, it's just unfortunate in the way it sometimes needs to be applied.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah, you're not allowed to be an inch inside the foul line. Zero tolerance on the first base line, otherwise you'd see guys running way inside it to try to break up throws just like that. Obvious and correct call.
Absolutely. I have no horse in this race and also have no idea what the controversy is.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
In that case pitchers from now on should always throw so the glove ends up on the base path since the base runner apparently has to run a mile around the bag to avoid running into it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
In that case pitchers from now on should always throw so the glove ends up on the base path since the base runner apparently has to run a mile around the bag to avoid running into it.

It's really not difficult at all to stay between the 2 lines.

th

The better question is, why is there no punishment for not doing so?

And that may be the most logical "fix" here, from now on make it mandatory to run between the two lines that you're......uhhhhh..... supposed to be running between.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It was labeled a judgement call, so not the black and white rules interpretation some have made it out to be. When the opposing manager says he doesn't think there's interference then you probably made a bad call.

And not for nothing but if you don't call something all year, don't call it in Game 6 of the World Series. It's like these refs are just looking for ways to show everyone they're involved in the game.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And Greinke, as good as he was til the HR, and company blow another big game
I don't put this on Greinke at all.

In fact I think they should have kept him in.

But you need to score more then 2 runs if you expect to win.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I've watched the Braves, Marlins (x2), Phillies and now the Nats win championships. Add on the Yankees 5 and thats 10 championships for Mets rivals in 25 years. Now that's suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad