GBU Mittelstadt Mode - Win 3-1 over the NYI, 10/21/23

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
This is the team I expected to watch this season. The effort was there

Hopefully another game or two of cozens on the wing gets him going and can move him back to center. I've always thought cozens at wing is an all star today, the issue is that his potential at center far out weighs anything he can do on wing

Mitts is the game changer on this team, he can make this team an actual cup contender. If he continues to play the way he has and tage and cozens get back to what they should be. The sabres will be 3 centers deep

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tonight's performance was...
FB_IMG_1692669272639.jpg

Spotless!!!

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
G: -Not trading Mitts for scraps before he finally found his NHL game. It took some time, but he should be an important part of the top 6 going forward.
-Comrie showing what he can bring when healthy and behind committed team defense.
-Tuch finding a different way to contribute tonight.
-Eric Johnson. Solid and steady.
B: -Islanders.
U: -No call on Pelech kneeing Skinner. Seriously, NHL?

Reactions: dire wolf

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Greenway is exactly the type of established (Western Conference) pro that many of us imagined being inserted into our young lineup eventually. It's refreshing to see a guy playing a consistent, detailed, in-rhythm game in Sabre colors with effective bulk and reach to boot. He created a ton of useful space on the big boy line tonight. Johnson and Clifton appear to be in the same vein as vet adds, but TBD just how consistent all three will be.

I do wish Adams had added one more "Greenway" to the lineup in Vic's spot and I wouldn't rule out an addition like that in the New Year. Long-term I'd like to find an additional even better guy like that to play top 6 and I'm happy to consolidate some futures for it.
Complete effort. I wanna take my kid to a game and get seats next to the Sabres bench just so I can bring a "Greenway Section" sign.
Nice project actually.
1697954475770.png

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Greenway is exactly the type of established (Western Conference) pro that many of us imagined being inserted into our young lineup eventually. It's refreshing to see a guy playing a consistent, detailed, in-rhythm game in Sabre colors with effective bulk and reach to boot. He created a ton of useful space on the big boy line tonight. Johnson and Clifton appear to be in the same vein as vet adds, but TBD just how consistent all three will be.

I do wish Adams had added one more "Greenway" to the lineup in Vic's spot and I wouldn't rule out an addition like that in the New Year. Long-term I'd like to find an additional even better guy like that to play top 6 and I'm happy to consolidate some futures for it.

Nice project actually.
View attachment 756175

It’ll cost a lot, but Crouse is that other addition.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
G:

> easily the best team effort of the season
> thanks, Donny, for the quality line changes
> PK stellar again; on a roll
> no complaints about d-zone defense
> nice to see whipping boys Oly and Joki with solid games
> Comrie perfect in a fairly easy game, except for one bad handle behind the goal line
> frustration fight on Tuch's part, but glad to see him take it out on an opponent
> Buffalo Red-Blacks for the win

B:

>Cliffy, please save the end-of-game elbow for the Matt Martins of the league
> me, for doubting this team 4 games in

U:

> where you at, @Ace?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Still a little bummed, as someone who doesn’t live in Buffalo anymore, to see so many empty seats on a Saturday night. Was watching some of the other games on ESPN and Buffalo was a serious outlier with seemingly poor attendance.

I mean I’ve watched the team every night throughout the drought. But unless the city of Buffalo has taken out of love with hockey… that attendance was the only ugly part of the game.

Hope the fans start coming back… but I said that last year and I’m not feeling optimistic if this is where we are with a roster/expectations like this.
-Many people I know were at the Springville Fall Fest in the Southern Tier yesterday. The weather was passable in what has turned into a very wet and cool early Autumn.

-Not making the playoffs for 12 seasons and starting off badly does not instill much confidence in spending $100+ to go to a hockey game.

-As some others have said prices have priced other fans out of games, it seems to have mellowed out the atmosphere.

-The secondary ticket market remains a business for season ticket holders

-The arena is a dump now and seems like expanded food choices has not done much

-Inflation and recession are reality for some

-C'mon back and visit for a game, relatives, wings, etc,

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
-Many people I know were at the Springville Fall Fest in the Southern Tier yesterday. The weather was passable in what has turned into a very wet and cool early Autumn.

-Not making the playoffs for 12 seasons and starting off badly does not instill much confidence in spending $100+ to go to a hockey game.

-As some others have said prices have priced other fans out of games, it seems to have mellowed out the atmosphere.

-The secondary ticket market remains a business for season ticket holders

-The arena is a dump now and seems like expanded food choices has not done much

-Inflation and recession are reality for some

-C'mon back and visit for game, relatives, wings, etc,
I know how cheesy it sounds, but they need to do some f***ing promotions. They took it for granted for so long that people would come to games they don’t really know how to make it attractive. They should take notes from how non-traditional hockey markets got fans to games. And the last game I went to hadn’t changed the in-game entertainment since the aughts. Go to a Vegas game and see the stuff they do. It’s an extremely poorly run franchise on the business side.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
- E Johnson definitely bringing something this team has been lacking.
- More Comrie, please
- Thompson is fighting through it.
- Amazing what Granato is doing with Greenway. He may be the guy everyone said Adams didn't upgrade in the bottom 6 this past off season. Someone who can play up and down the lineup. DEPTH, baby.
- PK ranked 3rd right now at 97.4%
- Mittlestadt showing up early in this season, bringing that 8OA energy.
- Jost belongs in the lineup.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Would not make sense playing him on the wing in the long run with that contract. He had 100% faceoff win tonight. He is already a great 2way C.
I agree that putting Cozens to wing long term is not ideal, and I do think he will be a very good middle six center for the Sabres long term. However, whenever he gets in a funk and seems to be thinking the game to much, putting him at wing for a bit to simplify his game, play fast, and get the confidence back, is a good move. When he gets his mojo back, you can move him back to center.

Reactions: SonofHerb

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
For once I agree with Ray. Why is there not technology in the puck for a goal?

We still have a guy pressing a button.
It is kind of absurd when you think about it.

I think the reality is the league is way behind on tech-enablement for the same reasons there isn't consistency in disciplinary actions and officiating. Old boys, regressive thinking. They'd rather do it the old way and be wrong than having to adjust to objective evidence and changing the way they operate. They would need find reasons why the data was wrong or subvert more information to save face.

Just think about how off sides reviews work. You are telling the linesman that made the initial call to overturn his own judgement. They are walking into the situation with a bias. Forget about things like goalie interference. "Oh, the sensor said the puck crossed the line? Not enough evidence for me to change what I think I saw. The call on the ice stands"

They just don't want the headache.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It seemed like Thompson handled more time on wing than Cozens to me, but Greenway gives them both a cover. He had a nice game as the Hecht role on that unit tonight.
I noticed a switch a few times. But in general, I’ve always thought Cozens would be a better winger than center, unless we slot him as a defensive line center with offensive upside. I think he’s too talented for that though.

Cozens reminds me of a young Kreider with his speed, shot, and no nonsense north south game. I like that better for a winger.
I have had a solid read on him since his days in the W. He is a rock head. He doesn't fit with quick thinking players. What he brings you can get elsewhere cheaply and with more effectiveness. He is not anywhere near Mitts in potential or skill.
I didn’t compare Krebs to Mittelstadt for talent, just development path.

For now, I’ll take the opinions of Sabres scouts and guys like Mark Edwards, who have never seen Krebs as you describe.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That contract is still good for a winger, right? He’s in Boldy territory?
I looked it up - Cozens makes over a million more than Boldy and has about the same level of production while also being worse defensively. So the Boldy contract looks like much better value in that case? Part of it is that Boldy did sign it a year earlier, I think.

If Cozens is a winger, that does turn his contract from a potential steal to just okay value. Being a center really brings a ton of value.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I looked it up - Cozens makes over a million more than Boldy and has about the same level of production while also being worse defensively. So the Boldy contract looks like much better value in that case? Part of it is that Boldy did sign it a year earlier, I think.

If Cozens is a winger, that does turn his contract from a potential steal to just okay value. Being a center really brings a ton of value.
If Cozens becomes an effective winger, then he is a wing and center.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00