Mitch Marner vs Phil Kessel

Who would you rather have in their prime?

• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
leafs fans went to great lengths here to herald Kessel as a top 10 player in the leagues until the day he was traded. Then it was a whiplash 180 on the opinion.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
leafs fans went to great lengths here to herald Kessel as a top 10 player in the leagues until the day he was traded. Then it was a whiplash 180 on the opinion.

Seriously, Leafs fans are still suffering from PTSD from Kessel losing a few polls and being made fun of back in the day, yet now that he is being polled against a current Maple Leaf, he really was fat, lazy, bad defensively, and responsible for them losing...

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I don’t think he was EVER regarded as a top 10 player. Top 10 winger yes, Player No.

And he was great for us while we had him, he drove the teams offence playing with Tyler Bozak his entire time here. Most leafs fans wish him nothing but the best with the Pens and we’re happy fore him when he won the cup (twice)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's far from a fool proof way to measure success, Jamie Benn has as many art ross's as Ovie. I already addressed this quality of teammate business above. You really think that if Marner hits 100 points but doesn't maintain 6th or higher in the scoring that its not better than Phil's 82 point season? Also by the logic you are subscribing to I am interested to know if you think McDavid has ever topped Patrick Kane's peak? Seeing as Kane had greater distance between his peers and scoring was lower I am guessing not.

Edit: anyhow, just realized your first post in this thread was with the "career high 69 points" garbage, really not to interested in taking this any further. Anyway I think the answer here is Marner, so do most Leaf fans and whadda we know anyway? We only have like the last decade of our viewership for evaluation.

Point finishes should be taken into consideration, as should other metrics like adjusted points, quality of teammates, sample sizes, etc.

Right now Marner is on pace for 109 adjusted points, Phil Kessel paced for 99 in the lockout season and has had over 90 adjusted points in 3 other seasons.

You can’t ignore the scoring rates of this 2018-2019 season. As I recall, they’re much closer to the 2005-2006 season than they are to the 3 seasons where Kessel was 2nd in league scoring over the entire time frame.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Watching Phil Kessel in his prime was special. He had speed like Mackinnon, a shot like Danny Heatley and vision like Crosby. In "theory" he should have been a generational level talent.

I don't want to sound to hyperbolic here, but watching Kessel was different. His vision and ability to create out of nothing was almost godly. I always felt like Kessel had generational talent, similar to the level of Crosby. Watching his pure talent was watching someone on another level then Tavares. Kessel's ability to shoot and pass at such an elite level was unique.

For some reason, he peaked as a 90 point winger instead of a consistent 100 point player, which I felt was his real potential.

He always had concerns about his cardio, back checking and defensive play. Warranted or not, it was always talked about.

What made him a career 75-80 point guy instead of an elite top 3 player was consistency and lack of defence.

Marner is much better defensively then Kessel from what i've seen. He also may end up being the better player because of consistency.

But in terms of pure offence, there isn't many wingers I would take ahead of Kessel in a playoff series. Kessel won 2 cups and he's a huge reason why the Pens ended with 3 cups in that era instead of 1 or 2. I was shocked no team was willing to pay a little more to the leafs to get a player like that.

Reactions: Freedom

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Marner is currently 6th in points which Kessel has done twice over the course of a full season. He’ll have to maintain this just to match Kessel’s best seasons and that doesn’t even take into account that Marner is playing with Tavares while Kessel’s best seasons came with Bozak.

Wasn't his best season last year?

Both Marner and Kessel had the same linemates

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wasn't has best season last year?

Both Marner and Kessel had the same linemates

It depends on whether you look at just points or whether or not you look at adjusted points and goals, rank in points and goals, and consider other factors like quality of teammates and opponents, percentage of scoring that is done at even strength (if you believe ESP are more valuable than PPP), defensive play, playoff performance, etc...

Marner is currently playing with John Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad