Mitch Marner vs Brock Boeser

Marner or Boeser

• Total voters

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Boeser bleeds chances against, he’s not at all good defensively by most metrics. The sedins blew him out of the water last year. For example, Boeser 2.51 xga/60 while the twins had 2.22 and 2.21. Is marner awesome defensively? No not really. But I’m not convinced Boeser is better.
Twins got cushiest minutes in history

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Both very good players! I think I've seen this poll before but that's okay, because it's a close one!!

I'll go with Marner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
71 NHL games is not a sample size where I would lift Boeser over the high pedigree of Marner.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I'd take that bet for Matthews.

That would be a very close bet, would not feel comfortable taking either player

Went with Boeser, but can understand why one would go with Marner. Basically comes down to whether your team needs a goal scorer or playmaker, both are going to be consistent 70-PPG players throughout their respective careers

Reactions: Kelly

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Marner is in now way poor defensively. Are you just equating physical play to defence?

Other than that, your assessment seems accurate. Two great players.

Boeser
-goal scoring
-physical

Marner
-playmaking/vision
-skating
I'm not saying physical=defense, what I'm trying to say is that even if you give both players the even edge of every other defense aspect in the game, once you get to phyical play Boeser gets the edge just because of size.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’ll bet him $1000 BB outscores (GOALS) any of the holy 3.
So we're in the business of pretending 29 goal Brock Boeser is on the level of 40-goal scoring rookie Matthews eh? :laugh:

I'll bet Matthews outscores Boeser significantly and you never come back to this thread.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Boeser quite easily here. Have him at 6 in a 2015 redraft and Marner around 10

Reactions: Haatley

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think their strengths kind of even eachother out, Boeser is clearly the better goal scorer and more physical/defensive player, but Marner is the better playmaker and skater. Both incredibly valuable young players though.
Boeser may be more physical but Marner is definetely better defensively

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Also to add, in no way am I saying Marner is poor defensively, just that I give the SLIGHT edge to Boeser.
by the measurables, Marner was a considerably better defensive player this year. Much better Corsi/Fenwick, much better relatives of both, much better giveaway to takeaway ratio. Imo, it was also really evident to watch, Marner was incredible at stealing pucks back this year - regularly caught defensemen along the boards and came away with the puck and was very good at picking passes in the neutral zone

I think it also gets lost that Marner was expected to be a really good defensive player like Giroux, people fixate on his offense and that's he's small so they expect him to be a Drouin type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad