• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Both high quality young wingers. Really comes down to preference in terms of sniper v. playmaker. Can't go wrong.

For context, over their last 41 games, here's how each player stacks up against arguably the two hottest young players in the league:

- Barzal 41 GP / 12G / 35A / 47Pts (18:19 aTOI)
- Laine 41 GP / 28G / 14A / 42Pts (16:43 aTOI)
- Marner 41 GP / 17G / 24A / 41Pts (16:50 aTOI)
- Boeser 41 GP / 18G / 15A / 33Pts (18:09 aTOI)

I give a slight edge to Marner because of the higher production in less aTOI. Both teams should be ecstatic to have them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Both high quality young wingers. Really comes down to preference in terms of sniper v. playmaker. Can't go wrong.

For context, over their last 41 games, here's how each player stacks up against arguably the two hottest young players in the league:

- Barzal 41 GP / 12G / 35A / 47Pts (18:19 aTOI)
- Laine 41 GP / 28G / 14A / 42Pts (16:43 aTOI)
- Marner 41 GP / 17G / 24A / 41Pts (16:50 aTOI)
- Boeser 41 GP / 18G / 15A / 33Pts (18:09 aTOI)

I give a slight edge to Marner because of the higher production in less aTOI. Both teams should be ecstatic to have them.

Why did you omit the entire season? It's like you cut and pasted at a point of the season you wanted others not to see. If you want an accurate take on a player, you look the whole season. I think we all know Marner has played better in the 2nd half of the season if this was your entire argument by omitting other players first have of the year totals to stack the deck in your favour? Was this your plan?

Since you brought up Barzal, he didn't score a point until his 6th game. Do you want me to start there? Then he would be 20 goals, 55 assists, 75 points in 68 games. 1.10 PPG

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Boeser is easily the better goal scorer, but Marner will have the higher offensive peak. His tools are just ridiculous. Way better than last year. He's faster, somehow remembered he has elite of the elite edge work, and crazy vision. He's been above PPG since Matthews went down. Likely will finish with 70+ points this year despite his horrible start in which he was shooting like 3 percent for 30+ games.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if I had to bet right now, I would say Marner - bigger pedigree, has been the better player this year (similar offensive years, Marner having had a very rough start and spent lots of time on non-scoring lines, Marner having a hugely positive impact on the possession game where Boeser has been pretty neutral, Boeser shooting 6% higher than Marner with a very similar shot volume which might be sustainable because he's a great shooter but hard to say on that sample size)

won't be surprised if it's either, and won't be surprised if they tier together as top 20 offensive players. It's too early for both of them to make any reasonable conclusions

also might matter what pieces you have to put around them to maximize the synergy. If Toronto is looking for a long term winger for Matthews, Marner is probably a better fit. And conversely if Pettersson pans out, Vancouver probably wants a shooter to put with him

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I would say they’re close, but I’d give an edge to Boeser.

Since Boeser went down with an injury the Canucks have scored 7 goals in 7 games. Goes to show how little help he has, Horvat is the only other Canuck that can create anything.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marner with another multi-point night. 20 years old........after 61 points as a skinny 19 year old in the NHL against full grown men, he has a new career high in goals, assists, points........coupled with his good defensive play........all the while with no Auston Matthews on his line, or even on his team for 25 or so games. The kid is already a Superstar, dominating the league.

At what point do non Leaf fans concede that he's amazing?

Nothing against Boeser. His scoring pace has been unreal and he looks to be the real deal. But at the very LEAST, it should be neck & neck. I think Marner wins, due to his special hockey sense, and ability to slow down the game to control everyone on the ice.

Someone should do a "Matthews vs. Marner" poll. I'd vote for Marner.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Boeser AINEC. He doesn't have anyones coattails to ride around on.

This post just proves you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to the Leafs. I guess Oiler fans have alot of free time on their hands instead of watching their dumpster fire of a team suck on a nightly basis.

Too early to choose imo. I want to see Boeser's sophomore season before picking a favorite.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Sure.

Ovechkin is great.

Crosby is greater.

I wouldn't say Marner is a Crosby type of player, Crosby is a force in way more ways then his playmaking and flashy puck skills. He's almost like a superstar grinder is some respects and imo that is how he really controls the game.

I think Marner has far more potential than just being a 60-70 point player (which is still extreamly good) but physically he just isn't ready to dominate yet.

Reactions: DanM

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To me, this is more "what the team needs". Both are very good players, but Marner is clearly a better playmaker and Boeser is a better goal scorer. On a team like the Leafs, who have a lot of goal scorers, Marner is clearly the guy they'd want. On a team that doesn't have a lot of goal scorers, Boeser would probably be the better choice.

Point wise, I think Marner has a higher ceiling of the two, but who knows.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Very different players in terms of style and contributions

Need to see more of Boesser before we can see where each is trending. Would also like to see what happens when Boesser is less sheltered, right now his zone starts and other splits compare more to the way the Leafs utilize JVR than anything.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I wouldn't say Marner is a Crosby type of player, Crosby is a force in way more ways then his playmaking and flashy puck skills. He's almost like a superstar grinder is some respects and imo that is how he really controls the game.

I think Marner has far more potential than just being a 60-70 point player (which is still extreamly good) but physically he just isn't ready to dominate yet.
What do you mean by dominate physically? This is Marner we're talking about, not Ferland.

He's not built to dominate physically, his greatest assets are his vision, skating, and puck handling which are only getting better. He's also gotten stronger this year on his feet (stronger core) and will get stronger in the coming years once he gets his man strength.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Will have to take Marner as of right now. Boeser is a much better sniper however it is his rookie year.

For 2 players that are the same age (same draft year) I think the advantage should go to Marner for putting up back to back 60 point seasons. Once we see a bigger sample size of Boeser he can close the gap or over take Mitch but right now Marner is more known commodity in the NHL at the same age.

Reactions: Cotton

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
What do you mean by dominate physically? This is Marner we're talking about, not Ferland.

He's not built to dominate physically, his greatest assets are his vision, skating, and puck handling which are only getting better. He's also gotten stronger this year on his feet (stronger core) and will get stronger in the coming years once he gets his man strength.

In my opinion, he's still too lanky and young to be able to dominate the game like similar sized forwards before him currently. I didn't mean that he's all of a sudden going to be dishing out hits or anything, but it takes years of experience playing against grown men for smaller, skilled players like Marner to be able to dominate his peers in a way I think he will be able to in a couple years.

These years of experience against defenceman older, stronger and more experience than him are going to pay dividends when the tables are reversed and he's playing against people his age and younger in his prime. He's still a really good player, but these are growing pains most young skilled players have to go through.

This is all I meant.

Reactions: MattySnipes

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
In my opinion, he's still too lanky and young to be able to dominate the game like similar sized forwards before him currently. I didn't mean that he's all of a sudden going to be dishing out hits or anything, but it takes years of experience playing against grown men for smaller, skilled players like Marner to be able to dominate his peers in a way I think he will be able to in a couple years.

These years of experience against defenceman older, stronger and more experience than him are going to pay dividends when the tables are reversed and he's playing against people his age and younger in his prime. He's still a really good player, but these are growing pains most young skilled players have to go through.

This is all I meant.
Thats fair dude.

You guys get any update on McAvoy and Bergy?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Thats fair dude.

You guys get any update on McAvoy and Bergy?

Thanks! Even though it's a rival team, the Leafs young players are fun to watch.

If Bergeron is cleared by his doctors, he could return to the team within the next couple of games. Whether or not that happens will be the deciding factor.

As far as McAvoy goes, he's going to likely be out untill a couple games before the playoffs. No need to rush a young player back from any sort of MCL strain, especially with the playoffs having already been clinched. I'd anticipate they would want him to get a couple of games under his belt before the playoffs, but other than that I wouldn't expect him back till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce