Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner can be “brilliant” but the problem is he’s also careless and often plays a game that is sometimes very specialized to a certain pace, temperature. In short he’s just extremely expensive.

Welllll he is 15th in the league in points per game and leads the leaf in that again. Matthews is not the leader and makes more money. Just be sayin ;)

Reactions: diceman934

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He might be a star but he sure as hell isn’t an 11 mil dollar player. Neither is Matthews

He scores more points than Matthews. Trade them both i guess because apparently you can’t please leaf fans any of the time. Everyone one here is so caught up on salary that its become a illusory correlations on just about every topic. It holds no water. 15th in the league in points per game and he is over paid. Well guess what salary cap and salary inflation are real. Last years and the previous years percentages change and next years will esculate again. Its apples and oranges. See where he ends up in team and league scoring at the end of the year. Many will be singing a different tune i believe. Just my thought on this. He will likely drive Tavares and Tavares will drive mitch to #1 and end 2nd himself for playing together.

Marner is producing 15 in the league at present and trending up. If that has to be argued when someone says he is a star, why bother because its always “welllll he makes an awful lot”. Wtf

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He scores more points than Matthews. Trade them both i guess because apparently you can’t please leaf fans any of the time. Everyone one here is so caught up on salary that its become a illusory correlations on just about every topic. It holds no water. 15th in the league in points per game and he is over paid. Well guess what salary cap and salary inflation are real. Last years and the previous years percentages change and next years will esculate again. Its apples and oranges. See where he ends up in team and league scoring at the end of the year. Many will be singing a different tune i believe. Just my thought on this. He will likely drive Tavares and Tavares will drive mitch to #1 and end 2nd himself for playing together.

Marner is producing 15 in the league at present and trending up. If that has to be argued when someone says he is a star, why bother because its always “welllll he makes an awful lot”. Wtf

lol 15th in the league in points per game you say? What an incredible accomplishment, I hope he gets a participation ribbon for this incredible achievement. What’s next? Are you going to tell me he ranks 17th in WAR?

For what we pay him, he needs to be far, far better. And he brought all of this on himself

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
lol 15th in the league in points per game you say? What an incredible accomplishment, I hope he gets a participation ribbon for this incredible achievement. What’s next? Are you going to tell me he ranks 17th in WAR?

For what we pay him, he needs to be far, far better. And he brought all of this on himself

Well to be fair he makes .7 million less than Matthews and Matthews has never finished better than 20th in points per game. Of course both are overpaid but I like what I see from Marner more often when Matthews should be our best player most nights.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Least hardest worker on the team according to the list Babcock got! Ha

You laugh, he will make all you “he makes to muchmoney”posters look pretty bad. Book it. He makes to much and thats all i have to say, I don’t care if he got 6 points in the last 3 games ( which he did) he makes to much. I don’t care if he is the best player on the team most nights, he makes to much ha wow.

Like a broken record ha

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He is the MVP of the team.. behind Freddy of course. Marner is the engine of the this team, and he plays in all situations and excels in all situations. If Dubas EVER thinks about trading Marner he should never step foot in the City of Toronto again.

We are very lucky to have Marner. He is a special player, who plays a 200 foot game. He is only going to get better.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
If Marner doesn’t show up on the score sheet he impacts the game in so many other ways. Matthews does not. Nylander does not.

People want to whine about Marners contract, but where you really get in trouble is paying guys like Kerfoot 3.5 million a year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Marner doesn’t show up on the score sheet he impacts the game in so many other ways. Matthews does not. Nylander does not.

People want to whine about Marners contract, but where you really get in trouble is paying guys like Kerfoot 3.5 million a year.

He's the straw that stirs the drink, and Matthews and Nylander are the spoiled brats that blow bubbles in their chocolate milk. :thumbu:

Reactions: ACC1224

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Dubas is infallible to some, the answer is certain before the question is even asked. Keep “working” the threads, the rest of the league knows he was walked by these agents!

The biggest mistake made by MLSE was letting Lou go before the big contract negotiations. I didn't give a rats ass about hunter, but I believe Lou handles these agents with ease.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The biggest mistake made by MLSE was letting Lou go before the big contract negotiations. I didn't give a rats ass about hunter, but I believe Lou handles these agents with ease.

The irony is that Dubas handed out those contracts like candy in the same manner that Shanahan handed him the Leafs' GM job.

Reactions: DanM

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Lou got walked over by Kovalchuk, Marleau, and Clowe worse than anything Dubas has done. We didn't really have a choice with Marner/Matthews, they were the team at that point. Kovalchuk, Marleau and Clowe were unforced errors. Komarov is already a healthy scratch 2 games in a row, Matt Martin is getting paid 2.5 mil to play 10 minutes a night.

The guy who bent over backwards to give a moody star 100 million as a vanity number only to get his team fined picks for the privilege isn't who I'd use for negotiations.

And honestly, Kadri and Rielly probably got a bit more than their numbers justified. They got similar money for less production when compared to guys like Schenn, Barrie, and Krug in the same RFA class. Lou gambled on term and won, but that's on Rielly and Kadri developing, not it being a steal when it was signed. Same with Andersen: .919 2.33 GAA got him 5x5 with a partial NTC in 4/5 years, Mrazek put up a .921 2.33 GAA season and got 2x4 with no NTC.

I get that an experienced GM would have been better for the negotiations, but Lou is definitely not that GM. I honestly can't think of a truly great contract he signed this decade. Market value at best.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

A bit of a different take than the so called leaf fans in this forum who said Marner was floating last game and were responsible for the GA

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Funny thing is I don’t think Marners line is going very well really and he has 10 points in the last 6 games. 4 goals/6assists. Tavares in a little funk last three and they are on for a bunch of goals lately.

Hoping and thinking a better attention to detail and controlling the puck a little better and this line will get consistently better in the next couple months.

Marner starting to rev up again :)

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
He might be a star but he sure as hell isn’t an 11 mil dollar player. Neither is Matthews
Completely disagree. Both are still getting better... both have the ability to completely take over a game, both have 100 point potential. Everyone forgets how Mackinnon started off... now he is arguably the second best player in the world. Give the kids time, they're just starting to enter their primes. The deals aren't amazing, but I don't think they will prove to be all that bad in the long run.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Amazing talent. The criticism was deserved early on but I think we have an idea why his play was off before. Keefe came in and Mitch is a perfect match for this system.
A star. It's that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad