Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope you are right. Always thought they would play great together.

I hope so too. Willy is better than any winger JT ever had on the Island and he ran them lines. I watched Tavares closely when he was with the Islanders too because he was always vocal and plotting with his linemates there. He’s a great communicator on the ice from what i have personally observed from him.

Long and short of it is that i think he teaches Willy to be smarter and grow his game more than the quieter and more equal peer of Matthews. I can see Willy looking up to him as a seasoned pro that plans and plots from what he see’s in game time real time scenarios.

thinking it will be great pair

Reactions: ZEBROA

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
More Marner fun facts!

Since 2007/2008 when these statistics started being tracked, Marner is...

(500+ ES min, 250+ PP min)

8th in even strength points per 60.
8th in even strength primary points per 60.
3rd in powerplay points per 60
6th in powerplay primary points per 60.

Only 3 other players are also top 8 in all four. McDavid, Matthews, and Pastrnak.

Pretty good company.

:popcorn:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Hooooleeeeee damn thats a post and a half. How anyone can be that off the mark is beyond me. The arrogance in it definitely deserves a calling out. I wouldn’t wantbto be the likes at the bottom of the post either ha

He always seemed to drink a glass of hateorade before making a post about Mitch.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Time for a Marner fun fact!

At ES, since 2018-2019, when he joined Tavares' line:..

Marner ranks 3rd in the league in points per 60, behind Kucherov and Marchand, both of whom play on a stacked super-line.
Marner ranks 1st in the league in primary points per 60.
Marner ranks 1st in the league in primary and total assists per 60.

Pretty good for some overpaid guy.

:popcorn:
Yet he’s chopped liver compared to matthews. Somehow.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yet he’s chopped liver compared to matthews. Somehow.
Certainly not chopped liver. Just has needed a bit more help than Matthews to get to that top tier production level (though still less than almost all others that reach it do), and hasn't sustained it as long.

They are both incredible players, and we are lucky to have them. If they stick on the same line in a puck possession system through their primes, then we are about to witness something very special. :thumbu:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Certainly not chopped liver. Just has needed a bit more help than Matthews to get to that top tier production level (though still less than almost all others that reach it do), and hasn't sustained it as long.

They are both incredible players, and we are lucky to have them. If they stick on the same line in a puck possession system through their primes, then we are about to witness something very special. :thumbu:
What all this does show, with other factors as well, his contract is fair relative to Matthews, less AAV, extra UFA year, completely in line with Auston. Not fair league wise, but internally, absolutely.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What all this does show, with other factors as well, his contract is fair relative to Matthews, less AAV, extra UFA year, completely in line with Auston. Not fair league wise, but internally, absolutely.
His contract is fair relative to Matthews, and they are both fair relative to the league. The only "problem" in all of this is people still using raw points to evaluate players and raw dollar amounts to evaluate contracts in 2019 (soon to be 2020). Better, more accurate statistics/methods exist, and they're pretty simple.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He seems to be all aboard the Marner train now at least. In this thread he recently just said Marner is our best player pretty much.
Kudos to him. At least he didn't disappear like minus mitch. Wonder which tag he goes under now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad