Mitch Marner or Johnny Gaudreau

Mitch Marner or Johnny Gaudreau

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
JG. He’s a proven top player for several years now.
The only reason Marner will likely win the poll is that there’s way more Leaf fans on here than Flames fans. Take out the home team bias and I think it’s still close but edge to JG.

If we subtract voters like you (who habitually vote anti leaf) with the homer leaf voters we would get a fair # but that's never going to happen.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
JVR and Bozak were productive players before Marner.

I'll post this again:
Since 2014-15 at 5v5

Monahan with Gaudreau:
157 points in ~4,385 mins
2.15 p/60

Monahan without Gaudreau:
40 points in ~1,645 mins
1.46p/60
Marner was a teenage rookie when he played with them, not the Gaudreau comparable he is today

Marner w Tavares - 452:34 toi, 4.38 GF/60
Marner w/o Tavares - 65:45 toi, 4.65 GF/60
Tavares w/o Marner - 74:07 toi, 1.62 GF/60

Marner is the line driver there, not Tavares. And yes this is a small sample, its still growing in the same fashion though

Without Gaudreau:
Monahan 5v5 p/60 1.46
Lindholm 5v5 p/60 1.40 (last 3 years in Carolina)

Those are 3rd line production levels...

But tell me how Tavares + who cares is worse than that...
just did, see above

And you're going to throw out Lindholm's numbers without acknowledging the parade that Flames fans have been having for the utter steal they believe they got because he flipped a switch when he got there?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Mar 26, 2010
JG. He’s a proven top player for several years now.
The only reason Marner will likely win the poll is that there’s way more Leaf fans on here than Flames fans. Take out the home team bias and I think it’s still close but edge to JG.

If we subtract voters like you (who habitually vote anti leaf) with the homer leaf voters we would get a fair # but that's never going to happen.

He is the anti-leaf.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Funny I went through ~10 polls regarding two players and not once was salary brought up.

Now all of a sudden salary is the biggest concern for some.

I wonder why that is...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Marner was a teenage rookie when he played with them, not the Gaudreau comparable he is today

Marner w Tavares - 452:34 toi, 4.38 GF/60
Marner w/o Tavares - 65:45 toi, 4.65 GF/60
Tavares w/o Marner - 74:07 toi, 1.62 GF/60

Marner is the line driver there, not Tavares. And yes this is a small sample, its still growing in the same fashion though

just did, see above

And you're going to throw out Lindholm's numbers without acknowledging the parade that Flames fans have been having for the utter steal they believe they got because he flipped a switch when he got there?

I never said Marner wasn't the line driver, but you might want to to throw out the 74 min sample size lol...

Also - why do you think Lindholm "flipped a switch"? And how do you explain Monahan's numbers??

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I never said Marner wasn't the line driver, but you might want to to throw out the 74 min sample size lol...

Also - why do you think Lindholm "flipped a switch"? And how do you explain Monahan's numbers??
the sample size is what we have, but the effects are very visible for Marner the same way they are for Gaudreau, moreso in a small sample actually which is likely to be less exaggerated in a larger sample as it is with Gaudreau

on the Lindholm front, if Gaudreau was the sole source of his production why haven't we seen that kind of production with previous players in that position, and how did he convince an NHL team that he was worth a top 5 pick? There's no doubt that Gaudreau has an effect, but to just solely attribute that to Gaudreau is baselessly buying into a narrative that you want to be true. Monahan's numbers are up this year despite years of playing with Gaudreau, obviously he's better with Gaudreau over the long haul but he's better than he's been this year as well

So it's ok to just say "I like Gaudreau" without all the false narrative about about him having a greater effect on worse linemates. Those things are just empirically untrue

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Scoring more goals and getting less assists. If he were playing for the Islanders still I don't think anyone would be surprised by his current production - he was 16th in league scoring last year and currently sits at 23rd right now.
he's getting fewer assists because his time and role on the PP are greatly diminished, and his LW is arguably the worst top 6 finisher in the league. his 5v5 production, particularly goal scoring, is exceptional. Tavares is one of the best at getting himself into good scoring positions and deserves credit for that, but Marner is clearly the player who makes the line work.

Anyway, this is Marner. Flames fans laughed at the comparison last year, but now Marner is probably as good offensively while being stronger defensively, and is still a lot younger

Reactions: Rants Mulliniks

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
ddd

If you check the poll results in this subforum, you'll notice that he's almost unanimously always taking the opposite of the Leafs option. It's pretty great that the Leafs live rent free in his head.

And yet has the audacity to call other posters out rofl

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Scoring more goals and getting less assists. If he were playing for the Islanders still I don't think anyone would be surprised by his current production - he was 16th in league scoring last year and currently sits at 23rd right now.

Last year was one of only 3 times he's topped 70 points. He's on track for a career high of 89 while being on track to obliterate his goals total. There's a reason for that.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Last year was one of only 3 times he's topped 70 points. He's on track for a career high of 89 while being on track to obliterate his goals total. There's a reason for that.
Smaller pads?

Id imagine if Marner could shoot he would be able to best his career high by more than 3 points and get some assists.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Smaller pads?

I'm sure that helps everyone but the reason I was getting at is that there is one goal scorer per goal and one or two assists. With Marner and Tavares playing together and Marner being a weaker goal scorer but sublime passer, he's setting Tavares up for tap in after tap in.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
This is really close right now. But anyone saying Marner's production is a product of Tavares is deluding themselves. He was on a nearly identical pace last year the entire time playing with Kadri. Considering contracts, you take JG. Remove that, and Marner is younger and on the same level. So you take him. He won't be making 10 million but Gaudreau's contract will be superior to an 8+ mill contract all things considered.

Reactions: POVERTY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad