Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 7 (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Continued

Friendly warning, if you want to participate in the main board discussion feel free that’s why they’re here. If you don’t want to participate or have nothing of value to add to the current discussion then don’t post.......participation is voluntary.....not mandatory. If you can’t follow this rules you can be removed from the thread permanently.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And then Dubas will say Marner plays with Tavares and Matthews plays with some combo of Kapanen and Johnsson and Brown. And then Marner's agent will say, um...ahhh… good point.
No...Marner's agent will say that "Marner was on a 93 point pace the last 30 games to end the 2017/18 season. This past season showed that 30 game sample was not a fluke. It was a peek into the future of what he was capable of. And if you remember, we wanted to do a long term deal last summer based off that sample and you said no. You wanted him to prove it. Well, he did"

Reactions: FourRings

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
Yes he wanted him to prove that he was worth the 8.5 that they asked for at the time he wasn't now on a 5 year 9m to 9.5 no more

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Burke on SportsNet just claimed the Leafs offered 8 years at 10 million and Marner turned it down.......If I was Marner I wouldn’t take that deal either over 8 years.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Burke on SportsNet just claimed the Leafs offered 8 years at 10 million and Marner turned it down.......If I was Marner I wouldn’t take that deal either over 8 years.
For eight years you would have to think he would be getting Matthews money . Idk what it would take to get him to take 10aav for term . 4 years or under ?

Reactions: Hunter368

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This past season showed that 30 game sample was not a fluke.
No it didn't. They were under completely different circumstances.

Also, even when he wasn't playing with Tavares, he still played with good players and a bunch of 30+ goal scorers, and got the benefit of much less responsibility while playing #1 PP. That good 30 game sample came not long after a horrible 33 game sample in which he had one goal and bled goals against and really struggled. Marner's hot streak also just so happened to coincide with a time in which the PP was hot and JVR was on absolute fire. You can't just eliminate part of the season or eliminate context.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
My reply would be fine take the qualifying offer or go to the KHL. Add up now much we could cost you if we wanted to be real dicks. Want to risk that for the sake of a million a year more?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I've actually brought up alot of points about Marner... not just leading the team in scoring...
You've mentioned it repeatedly and used it as your default response when people explain to you why he is worth less.

If I qoute all of your posts from the last 6 parts... it would be 99% negative non sense towards Marner? Why? I have no idea...
Not negative; realistic and informative. If somebody is trying to artificially inflate Marner's contract in here, and using flimsy arguments and false premises to do it, then somebody disproving those arguments will likely feel like negativity.

I've said repeatedly how great Marner is, and I both want him back and expect him to be back. That said, many things bring his contract valuation lower than Matthews. He's still going to be paid like one of the best wingers in the league.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It's pretty clear that he's already turned down offer sheets over 7 years worth more.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My reply would be fine take the qualifying offer or go to the KHL. Add up now much we could cost you if we wanted to be real dicks. Want to risk that for the sake of a million a year more?
Leafs wanna miss the playoffs over holding a star player out over a million a year ?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leafs wanna miss the playoffs over holding a star player out over a million a year ?
"Only a million" you could keep extending that more and more. You have to have a line that you cant cross reasonably. If Marner thinks he is worth 13 million on a long term deal he will have to find it somewhere else.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
10 million dollars could buy some pretty good D. Add a 10 million dollar player in Mitch's place, I'd take that chance.
How are you getting a good 10 million dollar player if marner is in Europe? Like maybe if he was offersheeted you could trade all your picks for one .

But looking at the free agent market I don't really see who you're getting other than Gardiner

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
"Only a million" you could keep extending that more and more. You have to have a line that you cant cross reasonably. If Marner thinks he is worth 13 million on a long term deal he will have to find it somewhere else.
He probably could get 13 on a 4 year deal from the KHL that's 13 in total.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You could just lower the term from 8 years . I'm sure the leafs and him will figure something out that works

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Notsince67 said:
Do you know what driving a line means?
Here are some stats I posted recently.
Not sure what that first image is even trying to show, but if your stat says that Kadri is a better player than Matthews and Tavares, there's something wrong with your stat.

2nd one pretty much just says that Marner passes good. I'm shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad