Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 11 (Mod Note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Unless Marner decides to sit out. Not saying he will, but the leafs have a huge hole to fill if he does.

They could also land on a low cost bridge deal at that point. Say 8.5 mil for a year or two. Puts them right back where they are tho for next year. Not ideal for either.
I don't see him wanting to sit out. That doesn't exactly increase his leverage. One year off, less development, doesn't exactly endear him to other teams and villainizes him in the eyes of the fan base. He isn't stupid and neither is his agent. He wants to be the face of the Leafs or at least one of them. I don't think he risks that. Especially if the reports are true and the Leafs have a long term contract on the table around 10 million give or take. That would be endorsement suicide. If there was anyone that thought he was worth Matthews money, he would have signed an offer sheet to that and call it a day.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
NHL employees? Let's see these multiple predictions then. NHL teams do not comment on other team's player negotiations.

We know Ehlers signed for 6M x 7 years under the same cap %. Nylander held out and got 6.96M x 6 years, one year less. Holding out paid off for him and his agent. Marner and Ferris knows how Dubas will move closer to their number by waiting him out and making him bend and cave.

This is the precedent he has set as an easy NHL negotiator few Agents have reason to fear.

Google Matt cane. He works for the devils.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Millions of dollars..... not enough?

Mitch Marner is part of a labor union. He has a moral obligation to his union to seek fair compensation for his services. If he signs for below market value it depresses the salaries for all players.

Once again, this is a business and an employee-employer contract negation. The fact that it’s for an entertainment conglomerate that you have an emotional attachment to is irrelevant.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Or The Jets signed Ehlers early knowing the cap was projected to go up to 79.50. This was not a surprise to most smart managers. This is an example of astute management. The proof is in the pudding. Negotiate early, you get Ehlers at 6 for 7 years, negotiate for Dec 1, you get Nylander at 6.96 for 6 years, one less UFA year that were under the same cap %. It's not rocket science the longer negotiations go, the prices may go up.

You do realize GM's don't have 100% of the say in this right? Players and agents also have agendas and more and more are realizing exactly what you're stating: it makes financial sense for them to delay signing contracts because as the cap goes up so does their salary. You don't think the GM's for Rantanen, Point, Laine, Tkachuk, Boeser, Connor, Konecny, MvAvoy, Werenski, and Provorov all tried to negotiate early only to end up exactly where Marner is right now? Of course they did. You can throw Aho in that mix too because he didn't work out a deal with his own GM; he went through MTL to do it.

Are all those GMs as incompetent as you're trying to make Dubas look? This is the way the league works now; it's a star driven league and players hold a lot more leverage than they did years ago. I don't see you on the boards of all these teams relentlessly bashing their GM's like you do the Leafs. I wonder why....

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Mitch Marner is part of a labor union. He has a moral obligation to his union to seek fair compensation for his services. If he signs for below market value it depresses the salaries for all players.

Once again, this is a business and an employee-employer contract negation. The fact that it’s for an entertainment conglomerate that you have an emotional attachment to is irrelevant.
He has a moral obligation to take a contract that satisfies him and his family. He does not have a moral obligation to sign a contract that resets the entire RFA market like he wants to do. That is not an obligation that is a want. Very different things. Aho just signed for 8.5 and we have reports of Marner wanting 10 over 3....moral obligation my ass lol.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I haven't seen a single person wanting him to sign below market value.

Unless of course you are an insane person who thinks that 11x5 is fair market value for him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I haven't seen a single person wanting him to sign below market value.

Unless of course you are an insane person who thinks that 11x5 is fair market value for him.
The poor guy is only being offered to be one of the highest paid wingers in hockey and not literally the highest paid winger in hockey. The horror I am not sure how he is going to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad