Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 11 (Mod Note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I didn't say there was any issue, just that it changes the entire dynamic that the league has run on for a while now. Older players took low pay during their prime years expecting to get a payout during their UFA years. Now it looks like that won't happen for them (or at least not as much as they might have hoped for). It just presents a problem for teams based on how RFA deals work and young players developing rapidly. Teams are going to have to future proof themselves a lot more than they've needed to in the past due to RFA players wanting their payday now, rather than waiting for UFA.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but props for the well thought out post.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well it got done in the last 5 minutes before deadline in Nylander's case. There's plenty of time to get a deal done.

More likely, I expect him to miss only a handful of regular season games. You would think common sense will prevail this time...

There is a finite amount of cap space the Leafs have this year. I've read they don't have the luxury of doing the same thing as with Nylander. If Mitch starts missing games, the less he will be able to earn. Trading out other players is not really an option or else they would have done it by now. No, Mitch will have to come to his senses before camp if he wants max dollars (max that they Leafs will give him). I guess it could be a reasonable bridge deal mid season, but he won't get max money which we all know is what drives Mitch and his dad.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
There is a finite amount of cap space the Leafs have this year. I've read they don't have the luxury of doing the same thing as with Nylander. If Mitch starts missing games....., I guess it could be a reasonable bridge deal mid season, but he won't get max money which we all know is what drives Mitch and his dad.
If it goes to the end of Nov, it would probably end up with a 1 year deal and negotiations start all over again after the season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is untrue. Ehlers signed 14 months before Nylander under different information.

It's 100% factual Ehlers new contract kicked in just last season, same as Nylander's contract which was under the same Cap %.

The Jets GM signed him on October 4, 2017. Nylander signed Dec 1, 2018. That's why we are having this conversation on Dubas not learning from his previous mistakes which look very similar here for Marner as it happened last year for Nylander.

Reactions: TS Quint

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
It's an interesting stat I think is all I was saying

Overall I'm not sure which stats have more value than others or are allowed to be used

It's interesting because yes he got more time on a lesser team which means maybe more responsibility fell on him and he still produced under different circumstances
No doubt great player. I just wanted to pull back on the hyperbole a little bit. #1 Center, for sure. Franchise level guy, not quite.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's 100% factual Ehlers new contract kicked in just last season, same as Nylander's contract which was under the same Cap %.
But it was signed at a drastically different time under drastically different information, so their signing cap % was different. What they had each proven to date was also very different.

To present their signing conditions as equal is dishonest.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

The Jets GM signed him on October 4, 2017. Nylander signed Dec 1, 2018. That's why we are having this conversation on Dubas not learning from his previous mistakes which look very similar here for Marner as it happened last year for Nylander.
What would you have done with Nylander in Dubas' position? What would you do with Marner?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Complete opposite actually. If Marner really want to be with the Leafs, he must sign before October 2nd. If he doesn't, his offer goes down as the Leafs just wont have the space this year to prorate. The leverage of that date lies with Dubas, not Marner.

Unless Marner decides to sit out. Not saying he will, but the leafs have a huge hole to fill if he does.

They could also land on a low cost bridge deal at that point. Say 8.5 mil for a year or two. Puts them right back where they are tho for next year. Not ideal for either.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Ehlers signed when the cap was 75, Nylander 79.5 for Nylander. Yes, Ehlers signed a year in advance, but at the moment he signed, it was 75. Ehlers 8% at time of signing, Nylander 8.6%. I don't think they have a crystal ball at the time of signing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ehlers signed when the cap was 75, Nylander 79.5 for Nylander. Yes, Ehlers signed a year in advance, but at the moment he signed, it was 75. Ehlers 8% at time of signing, Nylander 8.6%. I don't think they have a crystal ball at the time of signing.

Or The Jets signed Ehlers early knowing the cap was projected to go up to 79.50. This was not a surprise to most smart managers. This is an example of astute management. The proof is in the pudding. Negotiate early, you get Ehlers at 6 for 7 years, negotiate for Dec 1, you get Nylander at 6.96 for 6 years, one less UFA year that were under the same cap %. It's not rocket science the longer negotiations go, the prices may go up.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
LOL. Sure his camp has talked to the Lions. Get real. If that isn't the biggest load of BS I've heard this summer I don't know what is. Like the player and his camp would risk playing anywhere else but the NHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Marner playing hardball.. Love it. He is looking after himself to get top dollar and looking out for his fellow RFAs to get top dollar so they all get paid.

Plus nowadays all these kids keep in touch, you know they are all texting and making sure Marner gets that cash to make the others even more rich.

Hes lookin out for his boys around the league!

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
This thread is proof that literacy rates are actually going down.

Dreger said he wouldnt be surprised to see him go there to TRAIN. TRAIN, IN EARLY SEPTEMBER, AS IN NOT SIGN A CONTRACT AND PLAY THERE.

Making jokes about Matthews money in Switzerland, or mocking Dreger for claiming he'll play in Zurich is only showing your own ignorance.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Marner playing hardball.. Love it. He is looking after himself to get top dollar and looking out for his fellow RFAs to get top dollar so they all get paid.

Plus nowadays all these kids keep in touch, you know they are all texting and making sure Marner gets that cash to make the others even more rich.

Hes lookin out for his boys around the league!
Not playing anymore hardball than Sam Bennett and AA did. There is a trend with Ferris, and he is staying right on script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad