Value of: Mitch Marner for a blueliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd rather trade Marner than Nylander because i truly believe the first paragraph of OP.

Still have no interest in trading either though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
1) Moderation isn't discussed on the public boards, if you want to discuss report or send mod a PM

2) If you feel strongly a thread should be closed for some reason report it along with the reason why. If you don't like a thread for any reason, simply ignore it.

3) Marner being traded for a D upgrade is a very legit subject, albeit understandably unpopular with some.
Hunter, i have grown to respect your opinions very much...but when was the last time an ELC player of Marner's proven level was traded? Hall doesen't count he had already signed his 6 million dollar contract...i mean the closest thing is Johansen/Jones....problem for us as Leafs fans is that nobody is offering even close to a fair trade when either of Marner/Nylander are mentioned. So i don't really agree, Marner for D really isn't a legit discussion.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Getting Ekblad for Marner would be a steal.

I will never happen since FL is not that stupid. Even a possibly damaged Ekblad is far superior to Marner, Leafs would like need to add a 1st. Anyways, Leafs cannot absorb the contract of Ekblad with all the RFAs needing new deals.

So this is not really worth discussing.

Well, at least I agree with the bolded part....the rest is bupkis though.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I’m sorry but potential top pairing RHD > potential top pairing D > potential top line W
Here's the root of your misunderstanding of what is worth what in this scenario, the word "potential". The Marner/Nylander/Ehlers/Aho tier of players are not "potential" top liners, they're established top liners with the "potential" to be perennial allstars

Drouin (who is lesser than all of the guys above and was at the time of his trade, and was no more a center than Nylander or Aho are right now) got an unestablished potential #1D, why would better players not get the same or more?

there's two parts to the equation, risk and potential, you need to account for both in valuations

The Mentalist

Jun 29, 2018
Getting Ekblad for Marner would be a steal.

I will never happen since FL is not that stupid. Even a possibly damaged Ekblad is far superior to Marner, Leafs would like need to add a 1st. Anyways, Leafs cannot absorb the contract of Ekblad with all the RFAs needing new deals.

So this is not really worth discussing.

Yep. Matthews and a 1st should do it even then I don't think the Panthers would move Ekblad. He could be the next Orr.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yep. Matthews and a 1st should do it even then I don't think the Panthers would move Ekblad. He could be the next Orr.

Leaf fans are vastly undervaluing Ekblad. He had some concussion problems years ago, but has been fairly healthy. He is a big player and a 1D player that anchors their D.

Marner and Nylander are nowhere near this level of potential.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Marner is worth 40 to 50 % more than nylander. Guy just swapped bozak for Tavares, he’ll rack up 90 this year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hunter, i have grown to respect your opinions very much...but when was the last time an ELC player of Marner's proven level was traded? Hall doesen't count he had already signed his 6 million dollar contract...i mean the closest thing is Johansen/Jones....problem for us as Leafs fans is that nobody is offering even close to a fair trade when either of Marner/Nylander are mentioned. So i don't really agree, Marner for D really isn't a legit discussion.

Hi Lifer,

I'm staying away from giving any personal opinions on this subject up till this post, the only reason why I posted was in a response to a poster who quoted me I assume because I'm a mod and his post seemed like it was a question towards the mods. I'm only repeating the rules of the forum, discussing moderation on the boards isn't allowed. I recommended to him if he feels strongly about a thread being closed report it.......as a mod I see all the reports.....very few threads are requested to be closed by posters...very few. Specifically I'm not a mod in this area, so I'm not trying to moderate I just repeating the rules to help posters to enjoy their time on the forum more. Of course if someone sends me a PM about an area I don't mod, I can escalate faster to the correct mods in a attempt to help improve the forum for everyone's enjoyment.

In this thread I haven't stated my opinion on Marner for a D upgrade , I've just stated within the rules of the forum it's allowed......By saying that I'm not saying I agree with it, advocating it or anything else.

Now I will post my personal opinion below:

Marner is a great young winger with 80+ point potential, which is fantastic. His trade value is very high, top pairing D are rarely available unless they're on the older side or some other baggage. I would trade anyone on the Jets/Leafs in the right deal I don't care who they are I have no emotional attachment to any of them........but the key words in that is for the right deal. Marner type of players require the right deal bc of their value, so as you and other Leaf posters have stated in the past unless the right deal came along I wouldn't trade Marner. Teams draft differently, players develop differently, teams have different strengths, teams win the cup in different ways there is no single proven way to win the cup......so nothing wrong with keeping Marner and using a stronger forward core to win the cup. No chance I would trade Marner for a 2nd pairing D......zero chance. Top pairing? Maybe depending on who he is, age, contract, term, etc.......but top pairing guys in this group virtually never are available.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leaf fans are vastly undervaluing Ekblad. He had some concussion problems years ago, but has been fairly healthy. He is a big player and a 1D player that anchors their D.

Marner and Nylander are nowhere near this level of potential.
Marner and Nylander are not "potential" at all...they are proven 1st line players. So pardon us if we aren't rushing to trade them for a player that's "fairly healthy" while carrying a 7.5 million dollar cap for the next 7 years.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Do powerplay points not count?

apparently they've become a negative when rating a player:naughty:

but, and it's a huge but

why doesn't Nylander produce those same kind of gaudy numbers, with a mere 11 seconds less PP ice time per game played, only produced 12 points to Marners 27, Marner btw averaged 30 secs less of 5/5 TOI then Nylander while playing mostly with Boz and JvR

one more thing Marner, may end up being the best of the 3, people really need to see these guys live and up close to understand that, people who don't quote stats to prove theories

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
...What?? Lmao hell noooooo

We'll keep them then. Stop trying to trade them for us.

WE DO NOT WANT TO TRADE THEM. How hard is it to get that if they can't return that level of D they will keep a top offense and middle of the pack D instead of doing another Hall - Larsson.

Yeah because 6’5 50 point defencemen who is third in 5 on 5 scoring the past two seasons come cheap right... :laugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Where did I say that he would be cheap? I laughed at Marner for him though. Imagine trading Patrick Kane at 21 for John Carlson?

I don’t think Marner is quite Patrick Kane. And honestly John Carlson is a stud #1D. So would that be that terrible of a trade? I don’t think so.

It’s not like it’s Hall for Larsson or something like that.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think not a chance Marner is moved this kid is a hometown stud who I believe has not come close to his potential. Don't get me wrong I think Mathews is a stud and the Centre is always more valuable then a winger but I think Marner has more skills then him. Those two together will be magic for Leafs for a long time. Nylander is the one I'd trade if one has to be moved to upgrade the D. I'll add I'm a Canucks fan non Leaf hater. Considering my team sucks and will for awhile I'm looking forward to watching the Leafs skill this coming season.

Reactions: JayKnowsHockey

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

He's an average 1D, not bad and not amazing. Plays against top competition, good goal scorer, average point totals for a 1D, not great possession stats. Rielly's been better than him over the last two seasons people are barely coming around on calling him a 1D. I like the guy but he has a lot of leftover hype from coming into the league young and winning the calder.

I can understand not wanting to move him for a winger one for one but Marner + 1st is absurd.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can't think of a reasonable trade I'd include Marner in. It would be an obvious steal which isn't likely.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Die heart Leafs, maybe that's why I'm well aware of the on going Nylander vs Marner debate in the advanced stats corners of Leafs Nation. It's merely popular opinion/sports media parroting that has made such a division between Nylander and Marner.

I read on this site all the time 'Nylander is just a winger can't get a D for him' this is silly because Nylander has pro success at center (World Championships MVP/points leader, filling in for Matthews injury) and unlike Marner, he's a 1st line winger.

Marner is the one that is just a winger between the two and I don't care about emotional reactions, ES points > PP points. That's just black and white.

People act as if Marner played with scrubs when he had JVR and Bozak as linemates, one gifted the other capable offensively.

This Marner hype has people questioning if he'll make 9+ million. I'll take Nylander at 6.75 over that any day.

Again, people overvalue Marner and undervalue Nylander when they are in the same tier but different skill sets. I'm happy to keep both but tired of the Kadri/Nylander for a D offering up something different and providing a rationale for why it makes sense.

I apology to suggest that we'd trade Marner for a nothing talent like a signed Karlsson.

I agree completely that people are out to lunch thinking Marner > Nylander, and that he's close to Matthews.

Knowing how the Nylander threads ALL go, not sure why you want to give them a chance to drag Marner through the same garbage, since you're a big fan and all.

PS - isn't it "die-hard"? That's how I always said it. Maybe it is heart, but makes sense to me the other way lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad