Value of: Mitch Marner for a blueliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Given that Marner and Nylander are pretty much equivalent talents and Marner has more hype and will cost more why not auction him off for a fix to the blueline.

Ideal would be straight up for an extended Karlsson.

But what can we get for Marner despite his being just a winger.

-Edit-
Marner is very dependent on PP production to his points, Nylander is better 5 on 5 despite Marner being sheltered 5 on 5. Nylander is also better at controlled zone entries, he's simply a better possession player than Marner. Marner is better at point production. I don't really see one as better than the other, they are same tier.

Last edited:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah I figure this would have to be addressed...

Marner is very dependent on PP production to his points, Nylander is better 5 on 5 despite Marner being sheltered 5 on 5. Nylander is also better at controlled zone entries, he's simply a better possession player than Marner. Marner is better at point production. I don't really see one as better than the other, they are same tier.

Will add this to original post for clarification.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
that won't end well.

but mostly because leaf fans love the one and have big issues with the other.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think leafs fans have made it fairly obvious they arent interested in dealing any of the 4. What ensues here is going to be a giant cluster of :

"I wouldnt do it for X"
"Lol, typical leafs fans. Marner doesnt get you close to X."

or

"I'd do X+our first for Marners"
"Lol, X+ your next four firsts wouldnt get Marner"

‘I’d only do Marner straight up for Hedman’

‘Hedman?! Lol Marner on his best day doesn’t fetch Dumba, let alone Hedman’

Etc. Toronto fans seem pretty content to ride it out with their forwards and let Dermott/Liljegren develop, and combinations of Kapanen and the usual suspects won’t even return a young top four let alone a young #1.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I'd rather keep the only two top six wingers under the age of 38 on a team that finished low enough standings wise to win the draft lottery two seasons ago. Barring Kapanen or Brown breaking out, we really don't have much for depth on the wing. Marleau has been impressive but I doubt he's part of our long term plans.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Nylander is a great young top-line player, for sure. But Marner is a budding SUPERSTAR player, and miles ahead of Nylander. Marner is close to Matthews in terms of talent, smarts, hands, wow factor, etc.

Leafs would be insane to trade Nylander or Marner for ANY d-man in the league. Better to continue cultivating what you have and let it flourish. The D-Man can come from a lesser trade, or from the farm system, which has Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin all waiting, and looking great.

That said........If we were to trade Marner for a D-Man.......think Hedman, Jones, or Werenski. Someone of that ilk.

But it just ain't happening.

Reactions: RayB

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Nylander is a great young top-line player, for sure. But Marner is a budding SUPERSTAR player, and miles ahead of Nylander. Marner is close to Matthews in terms of talent, smarts, hands, wow factor, etc.

Leafs would be insane to trade Nylander or Marner for ANY d-man in the league. Better to continue cultivating what you have and let it flourish. The D-Man can come from a lesser trade, or from the farm system, which has Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin all waiting, and looking great.

That said........If we were to trade Marner for a D-Man.......think Hedman, Jones, or Werenski. Someone of that ilk.

Nylander puts up comparable numbers with harder competition and doesn't need the PP to inflate his numbers... not that you can address that reality.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I figure this would have to be addressed...

Will add this to original post for clarification.

The only thing you said in this post that's correct is that Marner produces more points.

Reactions: Cotton

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Nylander puts up comparable numbers with harder competition and doesn't need the PP to inflate his numbers... not that you can address that reality.

Marner played on the 3rd and 4th lines for half the season last year, and still put up better numbers than Nylander. The whole "Marner vs. Nylander" thing........it's not close, really.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Marner played on the 3rd and 4th lines for half the season last year, and still put up better numbers than Nylander. The whole "Marner vs. Nylander" thing........it's not close, really.
He played sheltered minutes with JVR and Bozak, one of the easiest assignments 5 on 5 in the league.

I understand that Marner is more popular which is basically the only thing you can put forth.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
‘I’d only do Marner straight up for Hedman’

‘Hedman?! Lol Marner on his best day doesn’t fetch Dumba, let alone Hedman’

Etc. Toronto fans seem pretty content to ride it out with their forwards and let Dermott/Liljegren develop, and combinations of Kapanen and the usual suspects won’t even return a young top four let alone a young #1.
I mean teams have won cups without Norris trophy calibre defensemen multiple times in the last 10 years. It isn't a necessity. The defense does need to improve, the most logical way to me seems to be to trust your developmental staff and groom your own defensemen. That just also happens to be the least sexy route and doesn't make for good discussion on a site like this. Trading a Marner or a Kadri or a Nylander for a comparable defensemen simply plugs one hole and creates another. What team with cup aspirations is trading core pieces to fill holes? I mean I guess you can point to Jones for Johanssen. But those massive blockbusters are the outliers. In general it is the futures that go in order to plug holes in the present.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

... insane to trade them for ANY defenceman in the league...?

I get being attached to your own players but if Marner or Nylander got the Leafs Hedman, Doughty, an extended Karlsson, Seth Jones, etc they should do it and sprint away. That surefire #1 defenceman is the only thing stopping them from being a Cup threat in my view.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He played sheltered minutes with JVR and Bozak, one of the easiest assignments 5 on 5 in the league.

I understand that Marner is more popular which is basically the only thing you can put forth.
When he was taken off the line this year and put with naz and marleau in a somewhat situation his offense exploded going ppg.

Hard to say who's really better. But Marner is younger and shown more thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad