Value of: Mitch Marner for a blueliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Rather see Matthews traded before Marner. Though neither are going anywhere..

Wow....marner Is a special talent, dont get me wrong. But, Matthew's is a number 1 center who scored 40 as a rookie. Marner hasnt scored over 22 goals. Marner has never played 1st line minutes and gets top PP time.

Marner is one of my favourites, but dont get him and matthews confused.

Reactions: Menzinger

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
There’s absolutely no chance in a million years that Marner gets a McCavoy or Provorov type of D-man. You’ll have to look at a level below that.

As I said, think Manson, Trouba, Pesce type. RHD D-man that can play on top pairing without being the corner stone of your defense.

I’m sorry but potential top pairing RHD > potential top pairing D > potential top line W

That’s as fair as it gets

I somewhat agree with you, but just curious how Ryan Johansen gets a future Norris winning defenceman in seth Jones.

Career high for Johansen is 71 points...as a center yes. 54 last year and 61 the year before.

Marner had 69 last year and 61 as a rookie. Not saying he is better than Johansen, but to say he couldnt get mccavoy is a bit ridiculous

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
People complain until they're blue in the face that there are too many Leafs threads on these boards yet its the fans of every other team creating the threads.

Keep on keeping on!

Yup. Buddy makes a thread to crap on Matthews, then makes another one for why does he get so much hate. He's accomplishing his only goal, and the haters pat themselves on the back and talk about how many Leafs threads there are...

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
FYI

OP was created by a Leafs fan

I seriously question that, no matter what he may say to the contrary.

I'm sure you're well aware how many threads are made about Leafs players by non-fans. Honestly surprised it's allowed considering how they turn out. Every time.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Holy ****e I posted a trade that someone agrees with!!!!!
We don't need a winger but maybe we could ship out Marner or Ehlers or Connor for a 1RHD that wants to play here.

Do you mean the habs troll that agreed? Marner is not being traded, certainly not for Trouba.
Kid is basically the opposite of Trouba's attitude problem. He loves the team and wants to play there

JayKnowsHockey

Nov 27, 2017
Marner has the potential to be a PKane type player.

Its laughable to think the Leafs would even consider moving him unless he refuses to play for them.

People need to Watch a few Leafs games this year before tossing out this crap offers

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I somewhat agree with you, but just curious how Ryan Johansen gets a future Norris winning defenceman in seth Jones.

Career high for Johansen is 71 points...as a center yes. 54 last year and 61 the year before.

Marner had 69 last year and 61 as a rookie. Not saying he is better than Johansen, but to say he couldnt get mccavoy is a bit ridiculous

Johansen had his carreer high the year before he was traded and as you said, he’s a Center. Just that makes a ton of difference value wise.

Marner 100% doesn’t get you McCavoy. Had Marner played C? Yeah, maybe but you can’t put value on young RHD like McCavoy and Provorov. They’re too valuable to be traded unless an equally talented young C is coming back the other way

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018

I'm sure you're well aware how many threads are made about Leafs players by non-fans. Honestly surprised it's allowed considering how they turn out. Every time.
Die heart Leafs, maybe that's why I'm well aware of the on going Nylander vs Marner debate in the advanced stats corners of Leafs Nation. It's merely popular opinion/sports media parroting that has made such a division between Nylander and Marner.

I read on this site all the time 'Nylander is just a winger can't get a D for him' this is silly because Nylander has pro success at center (World Championships MVP/points leader, filling in for Matthews injury) and unlike Marner, he's a 1st line winger.

Marner is the one that is just a winger between the two and I don't care about emotional reactions, ES points > PP points. That's just black and white.

People act as if Marner played with scrubs when he had JVR and Bozak as linemates, one gifted the other capable offensively.

This Marner hype has people questioning if he'll make 9+ million. I'll take Nylander at 6.75 over that any day.

Again, people overvalue Marner and undervalue Nylander when they are in the same tier but different skill sets. I'm happy to keep both but tired of the Kadri/Nylander for a D offering up something different and providing a rationale for why it makes sense.

I apology to suggest that we'd trade Marner for a nothing talent like a signed Karlsson.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Die heart Leafs, maybe that's why I'm well aware of the on going Nylander vs Marner debate in the advanced stats corners of Leafs Nation. It's merely popular opinion/sports media parroting that has made such a division between Nylander and Marner.

I read on this site all the time 'Nylander is just a winger can't get a D for him' this is silly because Nylander has pro success at center (World Championships MVP/points leader, filling in for Matthews injury) and unlike Marner, he's a 1st line winger.

Marner is the one that is just a winger between the two and I don't care about emotional reactions, ES points > PP points. That's just black and white.

People act as if Marner played with scrubs when he had JVR and Bozak as linemates, one gifted the other capable offensively.

This Marner hype has people questioning if he'll make 9+ million. I'll take Nylander at 6.75 over that any day.

Again, people overvalue Marner and undervalue Nylander when they are in the same tier but different skill sets. I'm happy to keep both but tired of the Kadri/Nylander for a D offering up something different and providing a rationale for why it makes sense.

I apology to suggest that we'd trade Marner for a nothing talent like a signed Karlsson.

Nylander is not more talented than Marner.

Previous threads have made it clear, Marner is a younger special player that can drive the play. He has blazing speed, quickness and high IQ. Playing him on the 2nd line allows him to develop and spreads the offence.

Both players are likely signing for $6M-$7Mper long-term.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Nylander is not more talented than Marner.

Previous threads have made it clear, Marner is a younger special player that can drive the play. He has blazing speed, quickness and high IQ. Playing him on the 2nd line allows him to develop and spreads the offence.

Both players are likely signing for $6M-$7Mper long-term.

Facts, Nylander is a 1st line winger (QoC) Marner isn't

Nylander is better at zone exits and controlled zone entries, better possession player

Nylander can play C, Marner can't

Marner is more dependent on the PP

Marner outscored Nylander a 8 points (OMG he's tho much better)

Marner is younger to his credit

'This thread make it clear' I HAVE SAID I UNDERSTAND POPULAR OPINION IS MARNER > NYLANDER... and that's all that has been said in this thread.

Facts > general opinion's feel. In fact the point of the thread is to point out a market inefficiency that when a player is overrated.

I never said Nylander is more talented that Marner, I said they have different skill sets and are in the same tier.

It's annoying that reason is beyond most on this site.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We'll just crush Cups for the next decade with our forwards. You guys with extra mediocre D can keep them and go nowhere.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

1) Moderation isn't discussed on the public boards, if you want to discuss report or send mod a PM

2) If you feel strongly a thread should be closed for some reason report it along with the reason why. If you don't like a thread for any reason, simply ignore it.

3) Marner being traded for a D upgrade is a very legit subject, albeit understandably unpopular with some.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Should have been Dougie and a small plus for Marner.

Made so much sense for both teams IMO

Owell hopefully Hanifin and Lindholm are good

...What?? Lmao hell noooooo

Lmao Marner is good but he’s nowhere near that good. Same with Matthews. Not saying it makes sense for the Leafs to trade either player for a defenseman but neither one has close to sufficient value to return a 1D of that caliber.

We'll keep them then. Stop trying to trade them for us.

Okay so now everyone but Leafs are “undervaluing” both Marner and Nylander? What do you expect to get for Marner? Under 25 Norris Candidate RHD?

WE DO NOT WANT TO TRADE THEM. How hard is it to get that if they can't return that level of D they will keep a top offense and middle of the pack D instead of doing another Hall - Larsson.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Jesus, i get this is a fantasy hockey forum but Marner? come on dude thats ridiculous. The kid drives his own line, was on pace for 92 points once he joined kadri and was our best player in the playoffs. He is a superstar in the making think patty kane abilities. Nylander is a great player but he's not marner and he plays with matthews which does help regardless of what our fans think.

lock this dumb thread where other fans just look at stats to say he doesnt fetch dumba(lol) or look at our fans who saying he should fetch hedman(lol).

Plus he's from TORONTO and is motivated to win in TORONTO so f*** off with trading our core players.

RIP mac miller.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Given that Marner and Nylander are pretty much equivalent talents and Marner has more hype and will cost more why not auction him off for a fix to the blueline.

Ideal would be straight up for an extended Karlsson.

But what can we get for Marner despite his being just a winger.

-Edit-
Marner is very dependent on PP production to his points, Nylander is better 5 on 5 despite Marner being sheltered 5 on 5. Nylander is also better at controlled zone entries, he's simply a better possession player than Marner. Marner is better at point production. I don't really see one as better than the other, they are same tier.
An extended Karlsson is worth a lot more than Marner.

Reactions: amosmoses

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
1) Moderation isn't discussed on the public boards, if you want to discuss report or send mod a PM

2) If you feel strongly a thread should be closed for some reason report it along with the reason why. If you don't like a thread for any reason, simply ignore it.

3) Marner being traded for a D upgrade is a very legit subject, albeit understandably unpopular with some.

You obviously aren't a leafs fan then if you think marner for a D is a subject to begin with or a legit subject lol. Its a non topic in toronto. I listen to the leafs radio every morning and i havvent heard marners name once, havent seen his name in a leafs article once, havent heard his name on any rumours, havent heard anyone in the city say his name once for a trade, our management has never said his name once. This narrative is strictly our percentage of dumb fans on HF who dont understand hockey or have never played at a high level.

Nylander is a different story. But marner=lol gtfo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You obviously aren't a leafs fan then if you think marner for a D is a subject to begin with or a legit subject lol. Its a non topic in toronto. I listen to the leafs radio every morning and i havvent heard marners name once, havent seen his name in a leafs article once, havent heard his name on any rumours, havent heard anyone in the city say his name once for a trade, our management has never said his name once. This narrative is strictly our percentage of dumb fans on HF who dont understand hockey or have never played at a high level.

Nylander is a different story. But marner=lol gtfo

You seem to have confused discussing forum rules as a personal opinion. I haven’t given any personal opinion on Marner being traded for a D. A poster creating a thread on any player being possibly traded is a legit subject, that doesn’t mean it will happen, that’s literally one of the main subjects of this fantasy trading forum.

FYI I’ve been a Leafs fan long before many on the Leafsboard were born.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Impossible, trading Marner makes zero sense....

Getting Ekblad for Marner would be a steal.

I will never happen since FL is not that stupid. Even a possibly damaged Ekblad is far superior to Marner, Leafs would like need to add a 1st. Anyways, Leafs cannot absorb the contract of Ekblad with all the RFAs needing new deals.

So this is not really worth discussing.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There’s few players in the league i would trade Marner for. It would have to be someone like Roman Josi or Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad