Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I do.

Dubas was more concerned with his public image than his team's competitive viability so he gave Marner a contract he didn't deserve and can never live up to.

Marner is going to have be traded because he is going to fall off a cliff production wise and he and Dubas don't have the stomach to put up with the justified criticism.

Can't wait till Santa Dubas has us paying Marner $6M per year to play for the Rangers.

But he's young, wears glasses, likes analytics and has good tweets so the kids here will still love him. :rolleyes:

LOL worse take ever and that is saying a lot. We could trade him in a heart beat and get a great return.....when is his production going to fall of a cliff as he is on pace for a similar pace as last year right now.....maybe get a clue before posting nonsense or still to the Stand up Comedians threads

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It’s human nature and it comes with cheering for a losing franchise for 50 years. It’s easier in that case to latch on and cheer for one player to the death because the odds of one not letting you down vs. the many are better.
It’s like Kessel. No matter how bad the team was, you knew Kessel would get 30 goals. Love him and you aren’t totally let down. Even though as a team, it wasn’t getting done.

That’s why my loyalty is to the Leafs, not Matthews/Marner or Nylander. I don’t agree with Dubas handing out 3 double digit salaries to forwards + 7 million to another forward in Nylander. Now I’m sure Dubas is smarter than me but he’s going to need to prove it. Just because you can and will fit everyone in the cap doesn’t mean you’ve made the greatest “team”. Rob Peter to pay Paul.

I still maintain that one of the forwards should be moved for a package that brings us better balance. Some people only believe that if you trade a 30 goal scorer you must get a 40 goal scorer or the team is worse. Not the case. I’d rather have 10 skilled guys sometimes at 4-5 million than 4 guys at 40.
It really depends on who some of the 4 guys are. They really need to have many additional talents beyond just skill.

Team is most important. So I would move out 1 forward and it may be a surprise that my first choice isn’t Nylander. But again if it is, balance the team better.

My first choice is not Marner as he is our best player, nor my second is not Nylander as his value is far to low right now. I guess that Leaves Mathews , should bring back a top young center and others who can help as well as cap relief!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My first choice is not Marner as he is our best player, nor my second is not Nylander as his value is far to low right now. I guess that Leaves Mathews , should bring back a top young center and others who can help as well as cap relief!

Unless you’re prepared for a massive downgrade why would a team with a player comparable to Auston Matthews (and automatically cheaper) trade that player to you along with other assets?

Reactions: Menzinger

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
been a huge marner fan and supporter but tonight my patience has officially run out

marner has gotta start producing AND not be a liability to this team. 10.9 AAV gotta show some responsibility

Marner had a good game....

OT penalty was bad, but he was gassed after killing off a 4v3... Nylander's penalty was worse.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

OT penalty was bad, but he was gassed after killing off a 4v3... Nylander's penalty was worse.

not just picking on marner for the OT penalty stuff happens; he was going for the stick lift and highsticked carlson but before the play he turned the puck over in the offensive zone on a PK; he has gotta be smarter than that; penalty was almost done he should have put the puck in deep and went for the change

also on the PP marner was beyond stupid tonight and 5 on 5 he didn't create any offense; we are not paying him to be a checking winger; he is getting paid to produce and play well defensively

no more excuses whether it is matthews, marner or nylander. they gotta start showing up. matthews and nylander showed up tonight; marner was brutal IMO

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
With the exception of last season, I’m pretty sure Marner is a slow starter. Maybe wait more that 20 games before we turn on the entire roster.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
been a huge marner fan and supporter but tonight my patience has officially run out

marner has gotta start producing AND not be a liability to this team. 10.9 AAV gotta show some responsibility

How much does he have to produce for you? He leads the team in points. 16 in 13 games..... Something tells me he'll never 'produce' enough for you.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He had a good game for the Capitals.
When Marner makes a mistake, excuses. When Nylander does it, he is terrible.

Yeah, saying the penalty was bad is an excuse :rolleyes:

Everything.
Marner didn't have a good game. He cost us that game. It was a lazy penalty.
Why are you talking about Nylander?

Marner played well... more than one player factors into the wins and losses of a game...

Nylander's penalty resulted in Marner's penalty...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Marner was the second highest paid player on the ice tonight, at his own insistence, and his play was *almost* as good as Alex Kerfoot.

Even if you set aside the horrible OT sequence, you're still looking at occasional disconnected controller type plays, loss of every physical contest, soft of the puck like he doesn't care what happens to it and unable to dictate any kind of offensive pressure without John Tavares dragging him up to success. We know he's not a physical specimen, but the guy is in the fourth year in the league and he doesn't look like he has the strength to complete simple plays, has no explosiveness, no separation speed and can't find a pass worth a shit with those garbage off angle shot/pass abominations.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Marner is a very talented player. What made his a cut above others was his intelligence on the ice. This is where I have seen him take a step back.

Someone has to take him aside and tell him, "play like you are still playing to show you are worth a big contract, and forget you have signed one". His head isn't in the game, he's neurons aren't firing naturally for him right now.

He will be fine, but right now he is costing them points, no question.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, saying the penalty was bad is an excuse :rolleyes:

Marner played well... more than one player factors into the wins and losses of a game...

Nylander's penalty resulted in Marner's penalty...
No he didn't. He is not a perfect player.

That's cool, and Nylander's pass resulted in Marner getting an assist. It's easy to spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad