Mitch Marner discussion thread continued ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Immature player on the ice, feels like he’s trying to force the issue and break his own personal goal drought as opposed to making the right play. Alarming how many times he has looked Matthews off this series.

Unless he goes on a point producing tear these playoffs, I’d say he’s the guy to move in the summer. We could get a haul plus save on the cap.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
I am just a massive Eichel fan. I think Buffalo has sucked the life from him. My one knock on Jack is health though, I worry there.

But yes I hope Mitch turns it around and we forget his playoff woes. He has all the talent in the world.
I’m with you 100 percent if this series is blown. That’s the type of a core move you need to make. Healthy motivated Eichel is a scary thought tho. Just win game 6 boys haha.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Eichel just doesn't want to keep losing in Buffalo. Him on our team becomes a 100+ point franchise C.

I would move Marner+ for Jack.

if I were Vegas I would make sure Jack takes the plane to the desert. They could really make a nice offer, they really need a 1 C and it also kinda makes sure they won’t go after Matthews when he is up for renewal.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I am just a massive Eichel fan. I think Buffalo has sucked the life from him. My one knock on Jack is health though, I worry there.

But yes I hope Mitch turns it around and we forget his playoff woes. He has all the talent in the world.
Eichel with a fresh new start in Toronto coming from that hellhole in Buffalo could be a very wonderful thing.

But this is bordering on crazy talk anyway. The Leafs are beating the Habs and that's all it's going to take for Dubas to stay as GM for Toronto. It's obviously going to require a new GM to make a drastic change to the core like trading Marner because Dubas is all in on Marner at this point and would never trade him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’m with you 100 percent if this series is blown. That’s the type of a core move you need to make. Healthy motivated Eichel is a scary thought tho. Just win game 6 boys haha.
It’s not just this series though.
This isn’t a measuring stick of how far our team can battle against a team that realistically wouldn’t be in the playoffs.

We should win this series even if Marner stayed home and Tavares being injured.

We are expected to be at least final 4.
We see how it goes along the way and when we run into Tampa/Boston/etc.

Reactions: saffronleaf

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
It’s a confidence thing with him. All that indecisiveness. Dude has had chances and he has squandered them.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This years playoff stats of Marner's direct comparables at time of signing who make significantly less money than him.

Aho: 6 games, 4 goals, 7 points
Rantanen: 4 games, 1 goal, 7 points

I'm fed up of any semblance of an excuse for this guy. He essentially took our gm hostage and demanded an overpayment.

He better damn well step it up from here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if I were Vegas I would make sure Jack takes the plane to the desert. They could really make a nice offer, they really need a 1 C and it also kinda makes sure they won’t go after Matthews when he is up for renewal.

Not sure how they can fit that $10M cap hit in but they sure could use a true #1C. I do not think there is a team with an attractive trade chip that works for both teams as Marner.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Uh no our defense is solid. And what's that go to do with his offense? Cus if you're insinuating he has greater defensive responsibility preventing him from scoring...... God knows the kid cheats like a mofo on the defensive end just like anybody else to jumpstart his offense.

I don’t agree that the defense is all that solid and that the extra defensive responsibility isn’t preventing him for scoring. I’ve been wrong before though.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This years playoff stats of Marner's direct comparables at time of signing who make significantly less money than him.

Aho: 6 games, 4 goals, 7 points
Rantanen: 4 games, 1 goal, 7 points

I'm fed up of any semblance of an excuse for this guy. He essentially took our gm hostage and demanded an overpayment.

He better damn well step it up from here.

Aho has 5 goals, 7 points actually...he scored 2 last night, including the OT winner to eliminate the Preds.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
This place will be filled with love in a game or two.
Plz do, I for one just wanna see him succeed and dominate a team like this. When he’s and Matthews, but this isn’t that thread, are struggling against a team like this, it looks disappointing seeing as his comparables are dominating their respective series, just wanna see the guy have a monster game and shut his critics up

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Eichel with a fresh new start in Toronto coming from that hellhole in Buffalo could be a very wonderful thing.

But this is bordering on crazy talk anyway. The Leafs are beating the Habs and that's all it's going to take for Dubas to stay as GM for Toronto. It's obviously going to require a new GM to make a drastic change to the core like trading Marner because Dubas is all in on Marner at this point and would never trade him.
Yep I hear exact same thing .. we win a round and Dubie gets another shot next year .. lose to Habs and he is let go .. even da players know it .. must be hard on Dubie as da players mostly on contract so they really don't care .. if I were him I would make all da decisions on who plays and who doesn't in games now and what our lines are .. he has a lot more at risk than Keefer

Reactions: IPS

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If the Leafs callapse in this series and a core member needs to go, the decision is getting easier which player needs to go and it's Marner.
To all of us it’s an easy call, but to Dubas who constantly tells us how well liked he is in the room and everything he does in the community, even having him represent the team at the draft lottery, not to mention put an A on his sweater (lmao) .... I’d be completely shocked if Marner was traded before anyone other than Matthews and Tavares, and unfortunately Willy falls into that category

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not a Toronto guy, but I'm a big fan of Marner's. When comparing his production to similar wingers in the playoffs, shouldn't you account for the fact that Toronto's defense is notably weaker than those other teams? That can really impact production. If anyone on TOR tries to cheat on one play, it ends up in his own net.

Just something to think about! I foresee two Marner goals next game :)

It's not. What may have been the case 3 or 4 seasons ago isn't true today.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
@Peasy, "Whats the context behind 0 goals in 16 straight playoff games?"

I have no idea. I'm only interested in what is happening now. I'm of the opinion that what his line mates are doing has an effect on our views.

You may feel differently.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To all of us it’s an easy call, but to Dubas who constantly tells us how well liked he is in the room and everything he does in the community, even having him represent the team at the draft lottery, not to mention put an A on his sweater (lmao) .... I’d be completely shocked if Marner wears traded before anyone other than Matthews and Tavares, and unfortunately Willy falls into that category
Dubie will be back in Owen Sound my friend .. we only said this IF they lose da Habs series .. if team wins Habs series dubie he is back next year

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think my comment from the first two games remains true to now.

He (and Matthews) have been doing the little things right. Their underlying stats remain very strong - and I'd agree they've been snakebitten with some bad luck and don't be surprised if they explode in terms of scoring as early as tomorrow.

That said, they are still expected to produce. They showed they can be one of the most dominant duos in the NHL - this needs to be reflected on the post season otherwise it certainly becomes much harder to avoid criticisms

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Unless we win the Cup, if Eichel is healthy and on the block, I'd be in on him if the cost was Marner. Strength down the middle wins cups and no team would be better than the Leafs with Matty, Eich and JT.
I'd trade Marner for Eichel so fast ... like faster than a speeding bullet. I would throw in whatever else it would take including a 1st and/or any of our prospects not named Robertson or Liljegren or Sandin

Reactions: ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd trade Marner for Eichel so fast ... like faster than a speeding bullet. I would throw in whatever else it would take including a 1st and/or any of our prospects not named Robertson or Liljegren or Sandin
They'd add, not us.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Need more from Matthews, but Marner and Hyman have been pathetic, not for the first time in a series. The latter has had a built in injury excuse pretty much every year but this is a guy who should excel in playoff hockey and anyone being honest would say that hasn't been the case. Marner has had one good playoff series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad