Mitch Marner discussion thread continued ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Honestly, if it wasn't for our depth, we lose this series. Just like Edmonton lost because they have no depth. At some point you need your big boys to come through like they have on the other teams that are already through. We need Marner (and Matthews) to show up the rest of the way.

Reactions: Antropovsky

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
He looks bad so far, lots of over thinking. He gets so many prime chances and just screws the entire play up. Passes when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass. He doesn't look like his normal confident self in the playoffs.
You described him perfectly so far in this series.

Maybe time to get him off Matthews line for a few shifts (give him some room) to breathe see if things change a bit, but then again I like seeing Nylander comfortable out there as he has a much better finish than Mitch.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We will see how the playoffs progress.
Results haven’t been stellar the last few series and the competition in this 1st round isn’t stiff. Certainly nothing compared to what is waiting out there.

Winnipeg is a much better test and if it comes down to change of the core, Marner certainly should be the top candidate.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not a Toronto guy, but I'm a big fan of Marner's. When comparing his production to similar wingers in the playoffs, shouldn't you account for the fact that Toronto's defense is notably weaker than those other teams? That can really impact production. If anyone on TOR tries to cheat on one play, it ends up in his own net.

Just something to think about! I foresee two Marner goals next game :)
Uh no our defense is solid. And what's that go to do with his offense? Cus if you're insinuating he has greater defensive responsibility preventing him from scoring...... God knows the kid cheats like a mofo on the defensive end just like anybody else to jumpstart his offense.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Our 100+ point regular season winger is on pace for 65 playoff points with 4 apples in 5 games and zero goals in his last 16 playoff games. Ouch.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The production has been disappointing, but he has had more than his share of golden opportunities. He's gotta start cashing in some of those chances.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He just may not be built for playoff hockey.

But I want to be very wrong, I want Mitch to make me eat my words.
There is only so long you can wait.
Nylander is paid like a high end top 6 player. Check.
Marner is paid like a franchise guy.

Something is wrong above and when you need to change, you need playoff results as well. Not just regular season thrills and tv commercials.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They are going to win, but for some god awful reason they don’t, do you call Buffalo about Eichel? I hate this discussion because they are going to win this series.

Unless we win the Cup, if Eichel is healthy and on the block, I'd be in on him if the cost was Marner. Strength down the middle wins cups and no team would be better than the Leafs with Matty, Eich and JT.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Antropovsky said:
Haha how wrong I was about his playoff stats?
You first cherry picked goals to downplay a playmaker, after a game you admitted you barely watched, where Marner played well. Worse, you then focused in on primary assist generation in an attempt to continue to discredit Marner (one of the best primary assist generators in the league), and in doing so, made a completely false statement about his primary assists. When I pointed out to you that your statement was incorrect, you decided to deny the facts, double down, and throw around false accusations. You then had multiple people correct you, and I linked you to the NHL.com page to prove you were wrong. No response from you.
I said he had one primary assist but he had two? OMG what a catastrophic mistake...
It's not a "mistake" when you repeatedly refuse to accept the facts. He did have two primary assists this series (now 3), though your statement was even more wrong than that. You falsely claimed he had 1 primary assist in his "previous 8 postseason points". In his previous 8 postseason points, he actually had 4 primary assists. Even if you had meant his previous 8 games instead of points, he had 3. Catastrophic or not, it's good to admit when you were wrong, especially after being so hostile to those who are sharing the actual truth.
My takes are bad but yours are better?
Now we're getting somewhere. My takes are at least supported.
... I watched enough of the games to come to a decision that Marner was not playing good enough.
You watched bits and pieces of games with a heavily biased eye, ignored the data and statistics, and even ignored the overwhelming opinion of the broadcasters you yourself referenced. Clearly you did not watch enough, as you arrived at the wrong conclusion, and didn't know simple things like how many primary assists he's had.
Looks like many people agree with my "take".
Actually, they made their own statements separate from yours, and this is a fan board on the internet after a playoff loss, so rational reactions aren't exactly abundant. Pointing at others doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.
I have to ask how much of the games are you watching because you were saying Marner has been the Leafs "best player"?
1. I have watched every single second of every single game.
2. I didn't say Marner has been the Leaf's "best player" at all. Do not misrepresent me and the things I have said.
Can't say that I'm surprised that when a bunch of posters entered into this thread saying Marner hasn't been good enough you put your tail between your legs..yet you were in full attack mode when there were just a couple.
What are you even talking about? First off, I haven't attacked anybody. Second, I didn't go anywhere - still here replying the whole time. I'm not going to start a discussion with every single person who makes a comment, especially when I have already had discussions with many of those individuals you are referencing many times in the past. It's after a playoff loss, and I understand that people are venting.

That's not the same as what you did. You have been doing this for years, and were doing it in this thread after playoff wins, and games where Marner played well. You were tagging people and making snarky comments. You were posting misleading or flat-out incorrect statistics and statements, while ignoring the facts that were being presented to you. You were being incredibly hostile towards others, and throwing around false accusations. You were doing all of this while not even watching the majority of games, by your own admission.

Other people being wrong does not justify what you did.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unless we win the Cup, if Eichel is healthy and on the block, I'd be in on him if the cost was Marner. Strength down the middle wins cups and no team would be better than the Leafs with Matty, Eich and JT.
Eichel kind of worries me as well. Seems moody.

Don’t know if the rumours of Seth Jones available are true but I start a package with Marner right there.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
There is only so long you can wait.
Nylander is paid like a high end top 6 player. Check.
Marner is paid like a franchise guy.

Something is wrong above and when you need to change, you need playoff results as well. Not just regular season thrills and tv commercials.

I cannot disagree. Not even the biggest Marner supporters could disagree here. He is paid like a guy who carries a franchise to cup wins, but a no show when it counts.

Even Matty has had a rough few games (but I think he is hurt again) but that's for another day lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He just may not be built for playoff hockey.

But I want to be very wrong, I want Mitch to make me eat my words.
So do i but it is highly unlikely .. better to switch Willy up with Matty and Foligno and bag a few goals .. and move Mitch down a couple pegs where he has a tiny bit more time and space

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

I would drive Mitch to the airport myself for Jack.

Can you imagine Eichel outside of the shitshow of Buffalo.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

Don’t know if the rumours of Seth Jones available are true but I start a package with Marner right there.

Eichel just doesn't want to keep losing in Buffalo. Him on our team becomes a 100+ point franchise C.

I would move Marner+ for Jack.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Sure I'd be in on Jones as well and move Rielly as a spin off. CBJ were interested in Marner the RFA and should be now as they need somebody that can feed Laine. With dollars owing less than cap hit, Marner would be even more attractive to the Jackets.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Buffalo ain’t gonna get a better offer than that. Let’s just win the series tho and Mitchy has a big game 6! :)

I am just a massive Eichel fan. I think Buffalo has sucked the life from him. My one knock on Jack is health though, I worry there.

But yes I hope Mitch turns it around and we forget his playoff woes. He has all the talent in the world.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our 100+ point regular season winger is on pace for 65 playoff points with 4 apples in 5 games and zero goals in his last 16 playoff games. Ouch.

Can't say that is due to lack of opportunity, because under coach Keefe he has been given ~ 24 minutes ATOI/g last year and this year and in all situations and in those 10 games he as 8 assists (4 last year and 4 in 5 games his year).

&

He gets to ride shotgun with the Rocket Richard Trophy winner as the best goal scorer in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad