Tribute Mitch Marner Discussion- the all talk edition

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Over the limit.
Forget about the points. This has been a disaster season for him. I said it before and will say it again. This contract will cost Dubas his job and would be well deserved. Marner better start performing or Dubas can rectify the mistake and trade him for a defenceman.
Also stop talking Mitch. You keep saying stuff but won't back it up.
Well it's pretty obvious u can have three of the highest paid players in the league ,that 1 of them better be a defenseman
Let's just hope dubas doesnt trade willy to try to fix his mistake
This Anaheim loss cant come in march
Man for man all things even the leafs had 4 players better than Anaheim s best
This loss is on Mathews and marner not showing up
Once u sign superstar money your now a veteran

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Only in Toronto you want a 22 year old homegrown star player who's on pace for 90+ points for the second straight season, to be gone.
The kid is struggling recently, like every player does in every season, even the very best, but you just want to crucify him. The amount of shit towards this guy is absolutely ridiculous and it's only been two pages, though the previous thread is also simply disgusting.

Let me tell you something. The kid is a special player, he will be fine, he will have special moments as a Maple Leaf, maybe even win a cup, but you guys just don't deserve anything, not one f***ing star player, ever, only Johnny Pohl, John Mitchell, Alex Suglobov, Jiri Tlusty, Andy Wozniewski, Chad Kilger, Jeremy Williams, Robbie Earl, Simon Gamache, Jason Blake and so on.(just take Nylander as a great example of what he got from you the past two years and where he is now) I am so sick of Leafs nation I'm starting to really hate you all.

Seriously, f*** you all, and don't you ever say anything nice of him when he will be back to his star form, because he will, but you will be the same miserable fan sitting on your couch.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Only in Toronto you want a 22 year old homegrown star player who's on pace for 90+ points for the second straight season, to be gone.
The kid is struggling recently, like every player does in every season, even the very best, but you just want to crucify him. The amount of shit towards this guy is absolutely ridiculous and it's only been two pages, though the previous thread is also simply disgusting.

Let me tell you something. The kid is a special player, he will be fine, he will have special moments as a Maple Leaf, maybe even win a cup, but you guys just don't deserve anything, not one f***ing star player, ever, only Johnny Pohl, John Mitchell, Alex Suglobov, Jiri Tlusty, Andy Wozniewski, Chad Kilger, Jeremy Williams, Robbie Earl, Simon Gamache, Jason Blake and so on.(just take Nylander as a great example of what he got from you the past two years and where he is now) I am so sick of Leafs nation I'm starting to really hate you all.

Seriously, f*** you all, and don't you ever say anything nice of him when he will be back to his star form, because he will, but you will be the same miserable fan sitting on your couch.
This.

Leafs fans thought it is EA Sports, we finally get star players and automatically win it all. Already debated about how many cups we will win with this core. Now they can't deal with reality.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

No offense, but this is a ridiculous take.

Even when he's been at his best, it's entirely reasonable to question his value on this team relative to his cap hit.

Is he an elite playmaker? Sure, when he's on his game, he definitely is. He's also soft, careless with the puck, a sub par shooter, and lacks accountability.

If you can't fathom that we might be better off capitalizing on his trade value and making better use of almost 11 million in cap space, that's your problem. Don't insult the rest of us that are willing to be honest and objective in our assessment of our players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If things go south this season, and Marner doesn’t pick it up, he unfortunately might be the guy to go to help rebalance the cap

Reactions: stickty111

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Disaster season.

But Nylander had the yips last year and then an off-season got his head sorted and now he’s incredible. Marner is garbage this year, he will get next year at the absolute minimum to get his head back.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
It was pretty obvious this summer that he wasn't worth even close to the money he was asking for. He's a productive player, but the perceived correlation between production & value, not just among fans, but in the player salary market, is unreasonable. He's not a horrible player by any stretch, but he's not playing at a $10M+ level, and didn't play at that level last season either...as the statistics clearly showed, it was mainly Tavares driving the bus on that line (and as we're all figuring out this year, Hyman is pretty damn good as well).

Marner is a great player, I'm glad he's part of this core. The frustration comes from the fact that he is getting paid almost $11M, is wearing an "A", calling the team out & himself out post-game more than seemingly anybody else, but isn't getting the all-around results on the ice on a consistent basis. He's having a fine season, but his new contract, and the way he talks, raise the bar for his performance. I hope he can rise to the occasion, but I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There's legitimate reasons to "bash" Marner.
No, there aren't. There are reasons to want more out of him in certain aspects right now, within reason, but he's still been an amazing player this year, a largely beneficial piece for us, and is massively important to this team moving forward.

The things being said about him in this and the previous thread are downright sickening.

Reactions: Nooodles

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Disaster season.

But Nylander had the yips last year and then an off-season got his head sorted and now he’s incredible. Marner is garbage this year, he will get next year at the absolute minimum to get his head back.
weird how the garbage player has significantly more points than the incredible player though

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We already have a bunch of expensive boats, we shouldn’t trade our boat for a mystery box, but maybe we need a heavy duty truck we can trade one of our boats for!

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I'm ready to move on from Marner but his contract is almost un-tradeable. The leafs will have top pay a portion of it. Yes, he will get his points but he is such a liability everywhere else. Marner is so scared to get hit it's embarrassing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Even when he's been at his best, it's entirely reasonable to question his value on this team relative to his cap hit.

Is he an elite playmaker? Sure, when he's on his game, he definitely is. He's also soft, careless with the puck, a sub par shooter, and lacks accountability.

If you can't fathom that we might be better off capitalizing on his trade value and making better use of almost 11 million in cap space, that's your problem. Don't insult the rest of us that are willing to be honest and objective in our assessment of our players.
:handclap:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's the bolded that IMO, take away from any legit point you may have.
Some are honest, many have no real clue(I don't recall you being in that group).
If someone could tweet that out it would prove that correct. :laugh:

He's struggling no doubt. Not sure how you can capitalize on his trade value at his cap.
Seems like a pretty shortsighted idea.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
weird how the garbage player has significantly more points than the incredible player though

Points aren't everything. Marner is doing the kinds of things Nylander has been criticized for in the past. He's not getting involved physically or playing a dirty game, he's lackadaisical with the puck and his compete level isn't high enough. On the other hand, Nylander is going to the dirty areas and is handling the puck in traffic and is visibly working hard.

If their point totals were reversed but Nylander was playing the way Marner is, people would be saying he's still not nearly as good.

Mitch needs to put in more work and effort. In the past he's never given me the impression of being a skilled player who lacks compete, but he's definitely that type of player right now and has been for some time.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
He would be my most obvious choice to move on from, and not just because of his play this season.
We desperately need to balance this roster and fill the gaps with more pressing needs.
He is small and plays small. He will not win puck battles when it really counts. He has an OHL caliber shot. Which leaves only passing and play making, and we are paying way too much for just that quality.
It’s not only him, there are others that need to go but with that contract, it’s the obvious choice.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Maybe he's going through something personal because it really seems like his head isn't in the game. The amount of times he's fumbled the puck for no reason is just strange.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm ready to move on from Marner but his contract is almost un-tradeable. The leafs will have top pay a portion of it. Yes, he will get his points but he is such a liability everywhere else. Marner is so scared to get hit it's embarrassing.
It seems his contract can’t be moved but when you look at the details, it is actually quite appealing to cash strapped teams. On July 1 he will get another $15 million bonus. That means $29 million in the first 366 days. He makes a salary of $700 000 next season. Paid an average of $7.1 million per year for the last 5 years of the deal (after July 1 bonus).
Horrible cap hit but non cap teams won’t care. They will actually get a bargain on the deal (marner is better then a $7.1 million dollar hit).
Bad contract for the leafs but great for the Carolinas and Florida’s of the world.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe he's going through something personal because it really seems like his head isn't in the game. The amount of times he's fumbled the puck for no reason is just strange.

Who cares?

When he got paid like a superstar he lost any benefit of any doubt so I don't give a **** about how his life is going, play better

No more excuses, because that's all he's been coughing up lately, besides the puck obviously

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Who cares?

When he got paid like a superstar he lost any benefit of any doubt so I don't give a **** about how his life is going, play better

No more excuses, because that's all he's been coughing up lately, besides the puck obviously
Yup. When you act the way he did in the summer and now his play, there is no leeway.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

The last time I checked, no Stanley Cup championship team had Marner on their roster...so yeah, every Cup team missed Marner on their roster...they couldn't have won without him. :sarcasm:

The only thing this kid has won in the NHL is his contract negotiation.

You're really saying he's beyond criticism? That's real bullsh!t, especially for the kind of money he's making and the attitude he brought to squeezing this organization for every penny he got.

You see, that's the real problem...Babcock wanted accountability and hard work from these players, and they tuned him out and got him fired. Keep blindly backing him up. If he was so awesome, he would let his play back him up, stop making excuses and calling his team mates out.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Who cares?

Lol fair.

He can buy a new gf

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad