Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Why do the least literate posters try to be condescending?

The context of the post was pretty clearly about public perception and PR, which something Marner has valued highly in the past on a personal level, and potentially carries some financial value from negative impact on his brand.

Leveraging the OS behind closed doors is one thing. If it goes south you can still hold out and maintain the high ground of the Leafs not offering enough. But making it public to try and apply pressure was dumb.

You're making several assumptions here, all based on Darren Dreger's tweeting.

Do yourself a favor and never read Donald Trump's :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do the least literate posters try to be condescending?

The context of the post was pretty clearly about public perception and PR, which something Marner has valued highly in the past on a personal level, and potentially carries some financial value from negative impact on his brand.

Leveraging the OS behind closed doors is one thing. If it goes south you can still hold out and maintain the high ground of the Leafs not offering enough. But making it public to try and apply pressure was dumb.
I agree. Is there a statement in particular you're referencing?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If he goes and meets with other teams and no offer sheet comes, he is left holding the bag and looks like an unreasonable idiot who basically told the fanbase he doesn't give a **** about them.

Nah, I'd (almost) never hold it against anyone if they want to check their wage rate on the market available to them. It's prudent, it's their right. But if you're wrong you'd better put on those big boy pants, swallow your pride, and take what is offered.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nah, I'd (almost) never hold it against anyone if they want to check their wage rate on the market available to them. It's prudent, it's their right. But if you're wrong you'd better put on those big boy pants, swallow your pride, and take what is offered.

Is that what Nylander did sitting himself out 28 games + training camp this past season?

Just trying to understand, thanks.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I hope if the leafs offered him a 10mil per x 8yrs like has been reported, and he gets no bites around the league come offer sheet time, they stick it back to him and go "well here's a 9.5 per x 8yrs. Over the life of the contract it works out to about 4 million in stupid tax :D sorry Mitch
That's what his contract should be imho

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
according to the guy yesterday there is no loophole, RFA is RFA all are eligible for offersheets
It wasn't true in Gaudreau's case, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true in McAvoy's.

Edit: Okay, I found the explanation. Nylander was eligible, because you have to play atleast 10 professional games either at the AHL or NHL level (or in the case of someone under 20 when they signed burn an ELC year). McAvoy is eligible this year. Boeser isn't.

Flames’ Gaudreau won’t be eligible for offer sheet as restricted free agent - TheHockeyNews

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Is that what Nylander did sitting himself out 28 games this season?

Just trying to understand, thanks.

I dunno, did Nylander have a shill leak his intent to talk to other teams to drive up his value?

We've seen what the fanbase's reaction to Nylander's hold out was. If Marner holds out after publically canvassing the league it will be worse.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It wasn't true in Gaudreau's case, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true in McAvoy's.

I thought so in Mcavoy's case but couldn't find a source saying he wasn't eligible sportsnet lists him as eligible. I forgot about Gudreau. Anyway pretty sure that guy blocked me after the exchange I cant remember his name now, if you see him around give him the what for

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
That's what his contract should be imho
Agreed. I think 10per x 8yrs was apparently offered and turned down I read. Some source Brian Burke has. I think that's an extremely fair offer and makes him one of the top paid wingers in the game. If he's turning that down and it gets to a high offer sheet, I'm mentally and emotionally ready to take the 4 firsts and walk away. Hope management is at that stage too. Also saw that the Marner camp is apparently unhappy with the fact Dubas publicly stated that they won't necessarily match an offer sheet. Boo frickin hoo. Dubas supposed to play the big guy and say he'll match anything when you're twisting his arm by using other teams for leverage? Instead of trying to scare other teams off with the threat of matching anything and having them drive up the Leafs cost, he's threatening that if you want to stick your neck out there, be ready to give up four 1sts because there's a very real chance I just walk away. I think it's a smart play by our GM.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I dunno, did Nylander have a shill leak his intent to talk to other teams to drive up his value?

We've seen what the fanbase's reaction to Nylander's hold out was. If Marner holds out after publically canvassing the league it will be worse.

Ok so Nylander's holdout will be seen as less bad than Marner....because of Darren Dreger's tweeting?

Got it, thanks.

Reactions: dsred

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought so in Mcavoy's case but couldn't find a source saying he wasn't eligible sportsnet lists him as eligible. I forgot about Gudreau. Anyway pretty sure that guy blocked me after the exchange I cant remember his name now, if you see him around give him the what for
Okay, I found the explanation. Nylander was eligible, because you have to play at least 10 professional games either at the AHL or NHL level (or in the case of someone under 20 when they signed burn an ELC year). McAvoy is eligible this year. Boeser isn't.

Flames’ Gaudreau won’t be eligible for offer sheet as restricted free agent - TheHockeyNews

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Always glad to help the less fortunate

Hypothetically though, if Marner signs before training camp commences - who is less selfish or who came off worse in the court of public opinion:

1) The guy who sat himself out of training camp and 28 games of the season to get more money
2) The guy who Darren Dreger tweeted about

Again, just wondering here..

Reactions: dsred and MyBudJT

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Bottom line here is if Mitch signs an offer sheet...is the fan base really going to feel the same about him if we match? If he signs an offer sheet and we match, is he not basically all but guaranteed gone when he's actually a UFA? For me if he signs an offer sheet, he's damaged the relationship with the fan base and lost my trust for being a lifelong leaf. I'll always feel like he's just a rental if we keep him. You sign an offer sheet it's just a matter of time. Last guy of note to do it was Ryan O'Reilly...and he's since been to 2 other teams. Relationship is done for me if Mitch signs an offer sheet. We'll be fine without him

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Bottom line here is if Mitch signs an offer sheet...is the fan base really going to feel the same about him if we match? If he signs an offer sheet and we match, is he not basically all but guaranteed gone when he's actually a UFA? For me if he signs an offer sheet, he's damaged the relationship with the fan base and lost my trust for being a lifelong leaf. I'll always feel like he's just a rental if we keep him. You sign an offer sheet it's just a matter of time. Last guy of note to do it was Ryan O'Reilly...and he's since been to 2 other teams. Relationship is done for me if Mitch signs an offer sheet. We'll be fine without him

Ask Nashville fans what they thought of their captain Weber signing an offer-sheet (that was matched) with Philly I guess...

Reactions: MyBudJT

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hypothetically though, if Marner signs before training camp commences - who is less selfish or who came off worse in the court of public opinion:

1) The guy who sat himself out of training camp and 28 games of the season to get more money
2) The guy who Darren Dreger tweeted about

Again, just wondering here..

charming naivety about the role of media in deciding the court of public opinion aside...

There are a couple different outcomes

The one I very specifically outlined was Marner holding out after failing to get the resolution he wants via offersheet. The optics of that will be much worse than Nylander.

He gets what he wants via offersheet (whether tendered or leveraged). Good for him, he was right and got his market value. Some among LN will grumble, but most will come around and support him. As long as he lives up to the contract he'll be back to golden boy.

He offersheet is a flop, he signs for less than he wants. This negotiation will be forgotten, back to golden boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad