Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I don't remember last year ever being as annoyed at Nylander as I am with Marner. There was no Nylander talk of visiting other teams to see what leverage he could get, and there was no talk of wanting to compare himself to goal scoring Centers. Nylander was always rumoured to have the negotiations between 6mil and 8 mil. And was always compared to Ehlers, Pasternak etc. I was bummed there was a holdout, but never ticked off by it. Marner has me ticked off. If I'm the Leafs I just wait on it. He's going to look silly when Rantanen and Point come in at 9-10 per long term. Both of whom put the puck in the back of the net more than Marner. Goals have always been worth more despite the nay sayers. You can get secondary assists by almost total accident, I've never seen a secondary goal handed out yet

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've said it before, but leaking the intention to go the OS route was a seriously dumb play. It's a an all or nothing gamble on another team being willing to offer what they want, because if no one does there's nowhere left to go other than accepting what the Leafs offer. You can't hold out after saying "you're not offering enough, I'm worth more to the league" and having the league turn you down without coming off undeniably greedy & petulant.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've said it before, but leaking the intention to go the OS route was a seriously dumb play. It's a an all or nothing gamble on another team being willing to offer what they want, because if no one does there's nowhere left to go other than accepting what the Leafs offer. You can't hold out after saying "you're not offering enough, I'm worth more to the league" and having the league turn you down without coming off undeniably greedy & petulant.
Has Marner or the Agent been quoted of this OS intention?
I was always under the impression it was a "belief".

I agree it's not a good look if it did come from them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's a great way of turning the fan base against you as well, I struggle to see why you'd even float that threat through the media

Unless somebody stumps up around the league you lose on multiple levels

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think it makes sense to wait how that plays out and just say take the 80 x 8 yrs or enjoy the sidelines.

That or if he's that hellbent on not getting an 8 year deal, 2 year deal at like 5.5-5.75M, then he can get a slightly bigger deal, Leafs will be clear of the Kessel 1.2M retention by then.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Why do people seem to think Marner's camp is only communicating to the Leafs through Dreger's twitter account? :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't remember last year ever being as annoyed at Nylander as I am with Marner. There was no Nylander talk of visiting other teams to see what leverage he could get, and there was no talk of wanting to compare himself to goal scoring Centers. Nylander was always rumoured to have the negotiations between 6mil and 8 mil. And was always compared to Ehlers, Pasternak etc. I was bummed there was a holdout, but never ticked off by it. Marner has me ticked off. If I'm the Leafs I just wait on it. He's going to look silly when Rantanen and Point come in at 9-10 per long term. Both of whom put the puck in the back of the net more than Marner. Goals have always been worth more despite the nay sayers. You can get secondary assists by almost total accident, I've never seen a secondary goal handed out yet
Nylander couldn't visit other teams or accept an offersheet. It wasn't an option. He only had 2 years towards UFA due to playing less than 41 games in his rookie year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs are in a pretty good position. now imo.

Marner camp has been taking public heat for the offersheet talk (we all know Mitch hates bad PR) - a dumb strategy for Ferris to take. Dubas then gives Ferris the cold shoulder at the draft, starts signing the teams other RFAs and casually mentions to the media he may not even match an offersheet.

If/when the offersheets dont even come, Ferris will huff and puff but forced to come back to be more reasonable with the Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander couldn't visit other teams or accept an offersheet. It wasn't an option. He only had 2 years towards UFA due to playing less than 41 games in his rookie year.

Not to be argumentative but i dont think this is correct. Somebody posted a while back the explanation as to why he was able to get them (cant find it right now)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why do people seem to think Marner's camp is only communicating to the Leafs through Dreger's twitter account? :laugh:

That's not what was said at all. I suspect his camp thought that by leaking it to the media, the fans would go "Holy shit not Marner! Dubas give him whatever he wants" because Marner has been such a fan favorite here.

Instead, it was more met with "Oh really? f*** him then" and it has backfired. It soured his image with a lot of fans, and I imagine even though it will never come out, has soured him a bit with a few team mates.

If he goes and meets with other teams and no offer sheet comes, he is left holding the bag and looks like an unreasonable idiot who basically told the fanbase he doesn't give a shit about them.

I suspect that if it is true and he doesn't want 8 years, Marner gets traded. He is souring the relationship with the Leafs, his team mates, and the fan base over his hurt ego.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Why do the least literate posters try to be condescending?

The context of the post was pretty clearly about public perception and PR, which something Marner has valued highly in the past on a personal level, and potentially carries some financial value from negative impact on his brand.

Leveraging the OS behind closed doors is one thing. If it goes south you can still hold out and maintain the high ground of the Leafs not offering enough. But making it public to try and apply pressure was dumb.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
That's not what was said at all. I suspect his camp thought that by leaking it to the media, the fans would go "Holy **** not Marner! Dubas give him whatever he wants" because Marner has been such a fan favorite here.

Instead, it was more met with "Oh really? **** him then" and it has backfired. It soured his image with a lot of fans, and I imagine even though it will never come out, has soured him a bit with a few team mates.

If he goes and meets with other teams and no offer sheet comes, he is left holding the bag and looks like an unreasonable idiot who basically told the fanbase he doesn't give a **** about them.

I suspect that if it is true and he doesn't want 8 years, Marner gets traded. He is souring the relationship with the Leafs, his team mates, and the fan base over his hurt ego.

Seems like both sides have made it clear they're keeping their options open, through media members (if we're to believe that).

I really don't think public opinion is going to sway this thing all that much.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Has Marner or the Agent been quoted of this OS intention?
I was always under the impression it was a "belief".

I agree it's not a good look if it did come from them.

their muppet voice has been tellling us what they want us to know, and they have told us they intend to. Dreger is their plaything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->