Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Did Kane think he was worth as much ad Toews?

They won a Cup and Toews was captain and playoff MVP in 2010. No way he gets that deal with a 68 point season if its a first round exit, and same for Kane. That deal would adjust to $9.5M today. The next contract was the year after their third Cup, Toews has another big playoff and now has a Selke on his resume. Still not worth $10.5M but with three Cups won he and Kane had become tied together and the Hawks thought they were buying more.

The trophies drove the salaries as much as the actual play. Toews decline prior to last season has made him far less valuable to the Hawks than Kane but he had another strong playoff in 14-15 and champions expect to be paid. He was only 27 when the monster $10.5 deal kicked in. Of the two I am taking Kane every time but they probably don't win the first two Cups without Toews.

I don't think the first round exiting Leafs are a good comp for a championship team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think the first round exiting Leafs are a good comp for a championship team.

If Matthews and Marner were both getting $11 mil deals after delivering 3 Cups we wouldn't hear a peep of criticism nor negativity about their contracts, as they would have earned every penny of them for past services already rendered.

Even if it meant it was unlikely the Leafs could be Cup competitive thereafter with so much cap invested in so few players, and resulting in non playoff years like what is happening in Chicago now post Kane/Toews $10,5 mil deals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad