Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
So with all those arguments last year about how Nylander/Matthews deserved more $$ due to cap inflation, those same people (Dreger, looking at you) MUST be willing to take into account the cap potentially just sitting at 80M next year, right?

If Kucherov last summer, after finishing 5th and 3rd in league-wide scoring the previous two seasons signed for 8 years X 9.5M, then Marner this year after finishing 39th and 11th in league-wide scoring must only be worth 8 years X 8.5-9M? Of course this narrative will never get pushed by the media, because it's not exciting, so instead they've been talking about him at ~11M+ for months and months, despite zero market comparisons to get him there.

Gaudreau as another example, finished 6th in league-wide scoring the year before he signed, and that was while playing with a 62 point centre in Monahan. If Marner finished 11th playing with Tavares, where would he have finished in the scoring race playing with Monahan? 20th? Gaudreau's contract pro-rated to an 80M cap would be 6 years X 7.4M for context.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
from @SniperOnTheWing in the previous thread
It would seem by the way these negotiations are going that those noble qualities Marner apparently has are not sincere, but rather being used as leverage to squeeze the team for a contract that says ''listen, I'm the top dog around here not Matthews or Tavares or anyone else''

I love Marner as a player but some true colors are starting to bleed through the blue jersey.​

it's not about the money, it's about the term I know the Leafs want the 8 year commitment, it'll save them a ton in the long run, especially once the gambling money starts to flow into HRR in 2020. The The sooner Mitch get's to UFA the sooner he can have some of that pie.

it's a business first and foremost, always has been, always will be, most of the players at least the elite see the money as an ego thing, there is really zero difference in lifestyle for a guy making 8m or a guy making 11.5 they all know this because they see it with their own eyes, but like I said it's an ego thing, taunts on the ice for the last few years include contract status, how much money their making or not making. It's effin ridiculous, but it's the way it is. The NHLPA drives it, the agent's drive it, the parents drive it. JT before signing with the Leafs had already made 44.25m dollars, he could have signed in Toronto for 5m + the 25-30% exchange rate a year and his great grandchildren would still be living in luxury on the proceeds. He could've but he didn't because he would have been ostracized by the union and probably most of the ultra rabid PA types, and the dude didn't need the added BS, so they all go with the flow. This now includes the new end around play with the RFA contracts

Personally I do not see any hockey player being worth more then 5-8m per season, that's only because of the reality and scale of the economics in today's world, but that now is practically a middle class earner in the league today.

Mitch like a lot of kids in Southern Ontario grow up bleeding B&W and dream of playing for the Leafs one day, I had that same dream but my talent ran out in Jr and JrB at that, but what never changed is my feeling for the Leafs, Mitch undoubtedly feels the same way, but it's a business

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This is all agent and Dad. Recent video shows what a &$&@ he really is. Gives hockey parents a bad name. Disturbing trend with Nylander and Marner. Marner is probably my favourite player, I hope he learned something from Nylander situation and doesn’t screw up his next year. Having said that, I hope Dubas puts the screws to his dad and agent.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The fact the number $11m is still being tossed around is a good indication that no one actually knows how the negotiations are going, because we all know where that number came from and it wasn’t given as a report that that is where negotiations are.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is all agent and Dad. Recent video shows what a &$&@ he really is. Gives hockey parents a bad name. Disturbing trend with Nylander and Marner. Marner is probably my favourite player, I hope he learned something from Nylander situation and doesn’t screw up his next year. Having said that, I hope Dubas puts the screws to his dad and agent.
What recent video?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone posted a video yesterday showing his dad berating, swearing at him at the rink, other parents ignored him when he was making comments on the game..jerk.
Ok, yeah I've seen that. It's at least 10 years old.
You really consider that recent?

Reactions: mavis

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's really silly to speculate or judge at this point.

Remember when the most trusted name in hockey, Bob McKenzie, claimed that Kadri was looking for close to $6m/year, and it turned out to be $2.9m?

None of these guys knows anything.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The fact the number $11m is still being tossed around is a good indication that no one actually knows how the negotiations are going, because we all know where that number came from and it wasn’t given as a report that that is where negotiations are.

Do you not believe this isn't about making as much or more than Matthews?

The 11+ comes from the Matthews contract.

Matthews, Tavares, Rielly are must haves, Marner, Nylander and Kadri are nice to have.

Matthews has already accomplished with rookies and sophomores on his wing.
Tavares has already accomplished for years, he doesn't need an $11 million player on his wing.
Rielly is the key guy on defense.

Realistically, I could care less if Marner made $5 or $15 million, as long as it doesn't handcuff the team from producing a Cup.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
from @SniperOnTheWing in the previous thread

it's not about the money, it's about the term I know the Leafs want the 8 year commitment, it'll save them a ton in the long run, especially once the gambling money starts to flow into HRR in 2020. The The sooner Mitch get's to UFA the sooner he can have some of that pie.

it's a business first and foremost, always has been, always will be, most of the players at least the elite see the money as an ego thing, there is really zero difference in lifestyle for a guy making 8m or a guy making 11.5 they all know this because they see it with their own eyes, but like I said it's an ego thing, taunts on the ice for the last few years include contract status, how much money their making or not making. It's effin ridiculous, but it's the way it is. The NHLPA drives it, the agent's drive it, the parents drive it. JT before signing with the Leafs had already made 44.25m dollars, he could have signed in Toronto for 5m + the 25-30% exchange rate a year and his great grandchildren would still be living in luxury on the proceeds. He could've but he didn't because he would have been ostracized by the union and probably most of the ultra rabid PA types, and the dude didn't need the added BS, so they all go with the flow. This now includes the new end around play with the RFA contracts

Personally I do not see any hockey player being worth more then 5-8m per season, that's only because of the reality and scale of the economics in today's world, but that now is practically a middle class earner in the league today.

Mitch like a lot of kids in Southern Ontario grow up bleeding B&W and dream of playing for the Leafs one day, I had that same dream but my talent ran out in Jr and JrB at that, but what never changed is my feeling for the Leafs, Mitch undoubtedly feels the same way, but it's a business

What gambling money?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Matthews, Tavares, Rielly are must haves, Marner, Nylander and Kadri are nice to have.

Tavares has already accomplished for years, he doesn't need an $11 million player on his wing.

Realistically, I could care less if Marner made $5 or $15 million, as long as it doesn't handcuff the team from producing a Cup.

What’s this about Matthews? You mean where Bob supposed that if he were in Mitch’s position he’d equate himself to Matthews? Or when Ferris said Matthews didn’t take a discount?

None of this has anything to do with Mitch’s ask.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

What did Nylander’s father do?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What’s this about Matthews? You mean where Bob supposed that if he were in Mitch’s position he’d equate himself to Matthews? Or when Ferris said Matthews didn’t take a discount?

None of this has anything to do with Mitch’s ask.

Where do you think his ask came from? Kucherov's superior play?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
So with the cap coming in lower than expected will that change the Marner's camp demands or is Marner so selfish to blow up the team to fit his ego??

Reactions: biotk

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

You are so transparent. Marner is a must have. He is our best player and it bothers you so much that it is not Nylander that it is laughable.

Reactions: dsred

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What gambling money?
really?

the NHL starting next season has agreements in place with betting sites and Vegas in regard to royalties, just like the NBA, the NFL and MLB, They're thinking conservatively 200m in the first year, plus a new deal with NBC that is worth another 200m per year, money they did not have before

400m in HRR divide by 32 = 12.5m per team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad