Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
We do need help on the back end.

Having said that, we'd be trading a young kid with a ton of upside, for someone on the downside of his career.

I'm of the opinion PK is like me in one way: he needs a change of scenery once in a while Plus he loves the spotlight. I bet he'd play the best hockey of his career the first few years in T.O.

Reactions: ORRFForever

member 300185

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lou Lam offer sheet Marner in a "pay back" situation because the Leafs got JT.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Michael Grange just said what I believe...

Why the heck are teams pushing for LONG term deals?

What the heck happened to "the hill we will die on"?

If a player wants 5 years, give it to them.

Doesn't Bettman want to make 5 years the max term as part of the new CBA?

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I really hope this is just a bad rumour and nowhere near true.
Marner will make 100 times more on endorsements in Toronto then anywhere else, not even close. If his agents haven’t pointed that out it’s time to replace them.
If he cared at all about staying in Toronto he’d take a massive contract discount in exchange for stability and keeping the core intact.
If he signs an offer sheet I wouldn’t match it I’d take the picks and consider it a franchise lesson and example

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
The cheap RFA days are probably done, unless no GM budges this year. We might see many high end RFA starting the year off at home it’s interesting to say the least.

Carolina offering Aho 6 was downright insulting. Especially when Hayes is getting 7 per. If I was Aho I would be absolutely livid, maybe even request a trade. That's just ridiculous.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Carolina offering Aho 6 was downright insulting. Especially when Hayes is getting 7 per. If I was Aho I would be absolutely livid, maybe even request a trade. That's just ridiculous.

Aho will be interesting.

Same age as Marner. 83 points and 30 goals with an inferior offensive cast. 65 points and 29 goals as a 20 year old.

If Marner is worth 11 I don't see why Aho isn't.

RFAs about to kill their teams.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Aho will be interesting.

Same age as Marner. 83 points and 30 goals with an inferior offensive cast. 65 points and 29 goals as a 20 year old.

If Marner is worth 11 I don't see why Aho isn't.

RFAs about to kill their teams.

Exactly. Imagine Dubas offering the Marner camp 6M per LMAO. Think about how that would go down if the media learned about it. Can't even imagine.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Saw this on Twitter and it's relevant here:

D9or-5GWkAATumE.jpg

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Michael Grange just said what I believe...

Why the heck are teams pushing for LONG term deals?

What the heck happened to "the hill we will die on"?

If a player wants 5 years, give it to them.

Longer contracts are suppose to save cap space later on. You pay a developing player more than he’s worth now in the hope that he ends up exceeding that value in the future.

The alternative used to be a bridge deal, but RFAs don’t seem to want them. They either want 8 years or they want to get to UFA as soon as possible.

Reactions: therealkoho

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Leafs signing Tavares is payback for LL signing Marleau to 3 years.

They're even.

or stepping down when for the past couple years prior said he would stay as a consultant for dubas, if and when dubas was named gm. which by his own words was seen coming the same day he was hired. something along the lines of if he isn't then that's his own fault.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I really hope this is just a bad rumour and nowhere near true.
Marner will make 100 times more on endorsements in Toronto then anywhere else, not even close. If his agents haven’t pointed that out it’s time to replace them.
If he cared at all about staying in Toronto he’d take a massive contract discount in exchange for stability and keeping the core intact.
If he signs an offer sheet I wouldn’t match it I’d take the picks and consider it a franchise lesson and example

Just would like to say that for the umpteenth time that NHL players make peanuts for endorsement deals in comparison to other athletes. Theier endorsement deals are worth less than their contracts and there are only a few players that make over 1m in annual endorsement totals.

Therefore this is not true.

Also, you can like the city but not want to take a massive discount. I like my job, but if I was offered a similar job for more pay somewhere else I woilf 100% explore that option.

Edit: Not trying to call you out, but I find it funny when people say players agents are stupid/should be fire when the agent knows 10x what the posters know.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I don't know how it happened, but Kyle Dbas cured me of my Leafs obssession. Gotta thank you kid.

All you had to do was let Nylander sit. Its all you hadda do.

Wish you had done it and I bet you wish you had as well.

Its all you had to do.

Reactions: therealkoho

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Leafs signing Tavares is payback for LL signing Marleau to 3 years.

They're even.

There's teams spending at the cap-floor or press-boxing guys like Backes and winning far more than the Leafs and people want to pretend that the final year of Patrick Marleau's contract is holding us back from glory?

There's something more wrong here other than one bad contract, evidently.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I don't know how it happened, but Kyle Dbas cured me of my Leafs obssession. Gotta thank you kid.

All you had to do was let Nylander sit. Its all you hadda do.

Wish you had done it and I bet you wish you had as well.

Its all you had to do.

First of all, it was Nylander who called Dubas in the last hour to make the deal. Nylander blinked. Not Dubas.

Let's pretend for a minute Nylander didnt blink and Dubas did let Nylander sit. Basically Nylander would have to be traded at that point because that relationship is done.

Now Marner might either think 'oh crap. I cant mess with this guy! better take the lower offer'. Or he might think 'I bet he cant sit us both' and hold out. What does Dubas do then? Sit him too? lose his second young star? what a win for the leafs that would be. People on these boards would be howling and clapping because he stood his ground and is doing a fantastic job, right?

Sitting Nylander was not a good option for anyone.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
There's teams spending at the cap-floor or press-boxing guys like Backes and winning far more than the Leafs and people want to pretend that the final year of Patrick Marleau's contract is holding us back from glory?

There's something more wrong here other than one bad contract, evidently.

I agree. Something is wrong.

We outplayed the Broons 4 out of the first 5 games. And lead the series 3-2.

We should have won one of game six or seven. We should have won the series.

Game 2 was on the refs. But we shouldn't have lost game 4 or 6 or 7.

I blame the players for not pulling it off. They had to put everything on the line 10x the effort. I blame our top players for not scoring more. I blame our defense for not cutting it. I blame Kadri for getting suspended. I blame Anderson for not stopping enough pucks.

I blame the coaching staff for not adjusting and not pushing the team. Tortarella's speech swept Tampa, cheesy or not pep talks work. Babcock had to do something. Coaching team had to figure out how to solve the Bruin powerplay.

The only one I dont blame is Dubas. He got Tavares. He got Muzzin. He signed Nylander and Matthews. He got Enis and brought up Trevor Moore. He did everything a GM is expected to make. Sure Nylander and Matthews's deals were shorter than what we all liked - but that did not lose us the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia