Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Why wouldn't he turn that down?

Matthews got 11.6x5. Why would Mitch take 11x8 when he's the better player?

Maybe 11x5 because centers get more and Matthews is the face, but less money AND more years? He'd be stupid to take it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Title is misleading.

Its all speculation on Friedman's part.
1) He's speculating that Leafs offered Marner's camp a contract
2) He's speculating that Marner's camp turned down an offer
3) He's speculating the offer is 11M x 8

It didn't sounds like he had a source, otherwise he likely would have disclosed there was a source.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
If that’s true and being the highest paid winger in the league is not good enough he might be hard to trade. Also not sure they’ll have to worry about an offer sheet because if 11 million really was turned down what team would offer him more?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Title is misleading.

Its all speculation on Friedman's part.
1) He's speculating that Leafs offered Marner's camp a contract
2) He's speculating that Marner's camp turned down an offer
3) He's speculating the offer is 11M x 8

It didn't sounds like he had a source, otherwise he likely would have disclosed there was a source.

It's not misleading. Friedman said his belief is that the Leafs said if Marner wants the big number, say 11M, it would have to be 8 years, and Marner and his camp aren't prepared to do that.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For 1.....kucherov just won MVP of the DAMN league.
2, even if marner rejected this (hope leafs trade my favourite player ASAP) the fact that dubas potentionally offered this much worries me ALLOT. IT WOULD BE GAME OVER LEAFS FOR 5-6 YEARS

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
PSA: Friedman did not say that Marner's ask is $11m, he did not say that Marner turned down $11m. Friedman concedes in the video in the OP that he does not know what Marner's ask is. Everyone needs to be smarter and qualify your information.

It was not reported that Mitch Marner turned down an $11m offer.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's not misleading. Friedman said his belief is that the Leafs said if Marner wants the big number, say 11M, it would have to be 8 years, and Marner and his camp aren't prepared to do that.

Right, its no different than you suggesting the same thing. Its complete speculation. I wouldn't state its reportedly true.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Maybe 11x5 because centers get more and Matthews is the face, but less money AND more years? He'd be stupid to take it.

11+ over only 5 years is a horrible deal. Leafs would be stupid to give it. Anything over 11 over 8 is horrible too.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Morale of the story that the leafs are saying for Marner to get his number, it needs to be 8 years, and Marner's camp doesn't want to do that.

The number could be 11, could be 10.5. Could be 11.5

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lmao this is the same trajectory that the other negotiations followed.

It's just the media warming up Leafs nation to the impending overpayment.

We've learned that 11 x 8 is the floor of Marner's new deal.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kind of means the leafs arent willing to go to 10.5 for 6 to me

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
11+ over only 5 years is a horrible deal. Leafs would be stupid to give it. Anything over 11 over 8 is horrible too.
Well Dubas already did the 11+ over only 5 for Matthews. Can't do much about it now. Not sure why he would have done that expecting Marner to take significantly less.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's not the better player
He's not a center
He's not one of the best goal scorers in the league
No RFA winger straight out of his ECL has even come close to 11M

I'd happily call his bluff and give him the team jet to visit other teams so he can solicit offer-sheets, give me the 4 1st rounders

Right, its no different than you suggesting the same thing. Its complete speculation. I wouldn't state its reportedly true.

It's been reported, we can certainly debate the veracity of this claim but it's certainly not out of the realms of possibility there's some truth to it

I'm going to debate the merits of those numbers, just like most of us did when Nylander numbers hit the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad