Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sometimes you have to take a hard stance. 11x8 (or whatever it is) or see ya. Unfortunately, it has to be with Mitch because we already have so much money allocated to other players. No way I am caving in, if I am Dubas, to a 11x6 contract. That's unacceptable.

He’s getting 11 on a shorter term, if the team already told him they will pay him 11 then they will pay him 11. The team has leaked the offer to try and and put public pressure on him. I personally think trying to get the public to sour on a star player is a stupid tactic and benefits no one.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
But you have no insight into how involved hes been
You could just follow the media and his history. He's absolutely ridiculous. I sat in the same section as him when mitch played for the London Knights and it's common knowledge in London that Paul is a Mitch fan boy to say the least

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Ship Marner, Brown and Liljegren to Calgary For Tkachuk and Brodie... You can sign Tkachuk for probably 3 million less than Marner and he adds some much needed grit to your top line. Brodie gives you the perfect, right handed compliment to Reilly, at a decent price.

Ship Kapanen and a pick to Carolina for Brett Pesce, another right handed defenseman, to round out your top 4 of Reilly / Brodie and Muzzin / Pesce.

Ship Zaitsev for a pick or a prospect (or both)

Ship Marleau out at all costs, even if you have to retain 3.0 million of his 6.25 million.

If you move Kadri to Tavares' wing and Nylander to Matthews'... You wind up with a core of...

Tkachuk / Matthews / Nylander
Kadri / Tavares / Johnsson
Hyman / /Moore

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Pesce
Dermott /Rosen
Kivihalme

Andersen

You then have the money to round out your team with cheap vets and Marlies… That team is genuinely better, IMO, then what Toronto iced last year… The top 6 is every bit as potent, with some extra jam, while the bottom 6 falls off some. The defense core is complete, with 3 left handed and 3 right handed defensemen, and all 4 of the 4 belong there. You extend Brodie and Muzzin in the off season with the money coming off the books from Marleau / Kessel's deals and you use the rise in the cap to upgrade the bottom 6.
Drinking a bit early today I see.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Ship Marner, Brown and Liljegren to Calgary For Tkachuk and Brodie... You can sign Tkachuk for probably 3 million less than Marner and he adds some much needed grit to your top line. Brodie gives you the perfect, right handed compliment to Reilly, at a decent price.

Ship Kapanen and a pick to Carolina for Brett Pesce, another right handed defenseman, to round out your top 4 of Reilly / Brodie and Muzzin / Pesce.

Ship Zaitsev for a pick or a prospect (or both)

Ship Marleau out at all costs, even if you have to retain 3.0 million of his 6.25 million.

If you move Kadri to Tavares' wing and Nylander to Matthews'... You wind up with a core of...

Tkachuk / Matthews / Nylander
Kadri / Tavares / Johnsson
Hyman / /Moore

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Pesce
Dermott /Rosen
Kivihalme

Andersen

You then have the money to round out your team with cheap vets and Marlies… That team is genuinely better, IMO, then what Toronto iced last year… The top 6 is every bit as potent, with some extra jam, while the bottom 6 falls off some. The defense core is complete, with 3 left handed and 3 right handed defensemen, and all 4 of the 4 belong there. You extend Brodie and Muzzin in the off season with the money coming off the books from Marleau / Kessel's deals and you use the rise in the cap to upgrade the bottom 6.

E-A-Sports. It's in the game.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He’s getting 11 on a shorter term, if the team already told him they will pay him 11 then they will pay him 11. The team has leaked the offer to try and and put public pressure on him. I personally think trying to get the public to sour on a star player is a stupid tactic and benefits no one.
should scare the kid his offer sheet if it comes may be from undesirable teams
MLSE has to put its foot down at some point
3 years exiting the first round in the old days teams might have blown it up already

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah so Dreger is saying Marner is not asking for 11 and the last clickbate was that there was a feeing that Marner would only get 11 if he signed for 8 so I guess it means that Marner is asking for 11 right

But why did the Leafs have to come out and say they wouldn’t give Marner Kane plus money.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Everyone is all upset over a lot of out of context reporting. Marner wants a similar mid term deal to what matthews got so he can further bet on the cap going up and him establishing himself as the best on the team. Dubas wants him locked up long term or a much lower hit on the mid term deal. I'll be a deal gets signed by wednesday

Reactions: Jeypic and willmma

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
But why did the Leafs have to come out and say they wouldn’t give Marner Kane plus money.
Probably because tampa signs their guys for 2 to 2.5 million less than their market elsewhere. Why did the leafs pay Matthews over 3mm more for 3 less years than Stamkos?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Michael Grange just said what I believe...

Why the heck are teams pushing for LONG term deals?

What the heck happened to "the hill we will die on"?

If a player wants 5 years, give it to them.

Reactions: Leafsman

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Carolina offered AHO 6

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Any economist worth his salt will tell you, the BEST thing Leagues with guaranteed contracts can do to help themselves...

EVERY player, across the League, signed to 1 year.

Reactions: Hotel Mario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad