Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kief Richards

Nov 19, 2009
Keene, Ontario
Let him be

We gotta give these kids a break. Marner will need to season and ripen. The one thing that is apparent is his burning desire. To me, that desire and all his other attributes will separate him from the good to very good or hopefully great. We have to temper our expectations. There will be enough pressure on this young man when he is ready for the big club. J.M.2Cts......Cheers.

mikebel111*

He's getting outplayed by a bunch of draft eligible players. Certainty your expectations were better than that.

No he isnt. Strome is getting outplayed too. Is he a bust as well?
Marner is 18 playing against 19 year olds. He has looked decent. Your expectations of him are unrealistic

Though your the one who considers Rielly a bad pick so I cant be surprised

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't get why anyone who doesn't have glowing remarks for Marner is accused of not watching the games.

It's one thing if someone is making outlandish remarks, but I've seen couple instances where posters gave their opinion pretty fairly.

I've also seen people going overboard as well, which I don't agree with.

I definately do think Marner needs to add explosiveness to his skating, he doesn't have the Kane's speed to create space for himself at the moment.

I still believe in Marner and his potential, as these are areas he can improve on with hard work and with right personal.

He'll get that speed in due time. Right now his legs aren't very muscular. When he puts on 10-20 pounds, you'll see the explosiveness.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Marner set up 1 of 2 goals in the US game, and created several chances yesterday including a post. Really don't understand what you people are expecting. Strome's line has been our best line thus far due to the talent on it, but Marner has only been disappointing if your expectations were ridiculous to begin with. Lots of hockey left to play.

My expectations for him is to be the best Canadian player and he isn't that. He wasn't solid in the US and didn't create much offense in Switzerland. You just have to look at how he's played to see he isn't his London self. He's a bit slow on the ice, overpassing, his passes aren't accurate, etc. He looks off to me, but he still makes wonderful plays on the ice which is great to see. You are right that there is still lots of hockey left to be played, and hopefully he plays at level where he's expected to be.

Anyways, like I said above, this tournament has no effect on his development, so it doesn't really matter how he performs. I have seen him play enough in his draft year to know his strength and weaknesses and some of the comments here are Lol worthy. He's an above average skater, who lacks explosiveness but makes it up for his edgework and agility. He definitely doesn't think the game slow. He knows how to exploit the opponent's defense and always predicts where the puck is going to go in the offensive zone. His hockey IQ is why he's so successful. You can definitely tell who has watch Marner for the first time.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
I dont get the chance to see Marner much at all in this country, so perhaps I'm over-analyzing the small sample size that I do have available to me but....

... Lots of shiftyness and tricks makes opposition defense look silly if they play the puck and not the man... When comparing Nylander from last year to Marner this year Marner appears to be behind in terms of trajectory to the NHL that William has been on.... Marner seems to turn it on in a period and look like he is going to dominate the rest of the match, but then the next period his effectiveness wanes again... I dont enjoy his penchant for taking monster shifts ... At least he back-checks and is not a total Kessel... Don't see how he can play center at the pro level... I dont understand why he is playing with a bunch of grinders skill needs skill but it also seems that Marner cannot elevate others around him...

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
This entire thread is ridiculous since the wjc started. Makes me embarrassed to be a leafs fan. No wonder we are the most hated fan base on these forums.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
This entire thread is ridiculous since the wjc started. Makes me embarrassed to be a leafs fan. No wonder we are the most hated fan base on these forums.

Not sure why you think this is ridiculous, we are simply discussing holes in Marner's game rather rationally (with a few exceptions). Maybe you arent suited for discussion forums if you end up being all embarrassed and crap.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marner is 18 playing against 19 year olds. He has looked decent. Your expectations of him are unrealistic

Not once did I say Reilly was a bad pick. I said on draft day I would have picked foresberg, but if we go with a dman, I would pick Reilly. Go back and check posts

Marner has some serious holes in hiss game that he must work on to become a NHL player

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Not sure why you think this is ridiculous, we are simply discussing holes in Marner's game rather rationally (with a few exceptions). Maybe you arent suited for discussion forums if you end up being all embarrassed and crap.

2 weeks ago everybody was praising marner as the second coming of jesus while he was racking up points. Now hes played 3 games in the wjc and hasnt lit it up and everyones in full panic mode.

I think he will take a while to develop, but after 3 games where he hasnt been his 2ppg self everyones going nuts. Of course there is a chance he turns into a bust but leaf fans are so back and forth.

mikebel111*

Not once did I say Reilly was a bad pick. I said on draft day I would have picked foresberg, but if we go with a dman, I would pick Reilly. Go back and check posts

Marner has some serious holes in hiss game that he must work on to become a NHL player

The only holes he has is strength and too cute with the puck

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

While I'm not saying he's been terrible you can't rationalize it as "playing against 19 year olds". There are tons of 18 year olds there. There are 17 and even a 16 year old at the tournament - a few of which (17s) are succeeding. For him to play in the NHL next year or the year after he'll be playing against much older players with much more experience. That 1 year difference is no excuse. People need to take this tournament with a grain of salt.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
The only holes he has is strength and too cute with the puck

Strength, positioning, explosivenes, quickness of the mind.

His decision making is slow. He doesn't know whether he is going to pass or stick handle half the time. Leads to some awkward passes for teammates. May be a confidence issue in the tournament. I don't see the same slow decision making at Jr

mikebel111*

His decision making is slow. He doesn't know whether he is going to pass or stick handle half the time. Leads to some awkward passes for teammates. May be a confidence issue in the tournament. I don't see the same slow decision making at Jr

He has lots of time to work on few issues. He is still a bit raw in some aspects. To call him a failure in this tournament isnt at all warranted

champs*

if you actually watch the game with no expectations of mariner having to score 3 highlight reel goals every game. You will notice he is the teams most offensive threat and makes defensive plays! the team is so poorly coached .

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

In juniors, he's playing with 16-20 year olds that aren't on the same level as players in this tournament.

In the OHL, he can make the extra move at the blue line and hang on to the puck. In this tournament, he turns it over and it goes the other way.

The passes that he makes are high end though. His vision is unreal, it's just hard picking it up from a guy that you've started playing with 2 days ago.

Positioning is a tough one to criticize. There's players like Kane and Giroux that hang around where the puck isn't at currently, but where it's going to be. That's a smart move and to go in and battle along the boards isn't his game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder if I'm watching the same games to be honest. I see things a lot differently in some instances.

Marner is fast, but he's not Phil Kessel fast, but few people are. I don't buy the slow bit at all.

I've seen him make a lot of dynamic plays and set up his linemates, unfortunately they haven't cashed in on them. I also think he's been responsible in coming back defensively. I see him holding the puck for long periods of time as well. Strome has 1 more point (scored on a fluke goal from a ridiculous angle) and somehow he's been better then Marner. IMO Marner has stood out more for better reasons in most games compared to Strome. I'm not trying to be a homer either.

Some people are saying he's weak and I do think he needs to get stronger, but frankly that is more exciting then anything, he's doing this well already and he has things to work on, imagine once he gets stronger?

Either way, outside of the 1st period vs the U.S. and 1st vs the Swiss, I've liked him. He's been good, not great (but no one on the Canadian roster deserves a "great" grading)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner is fast, but he's not Phil Kessel fast, but few people are. I don't buy the slow bit at all.

I've seen him make a lot of dynamic plays and set up his linemates, unfortunately they haven't cashed in on them. I also think he's been responsible in coming back defensively. I see him holding the puck for long periods of time as well. Strome has 1 more point (scored on a fluke goal from a ridiculous angle) and somehow he's been better then Marner. IMO Marner has stood out more for better reasons in most games compared to Strome. I'm not trying to be a homer either.

Some people are saying he's weak and I do think he needs to get stronger, but frankly that is more exciting then anything, he's doing this well already and he has things to work on, imagine once he gets stronger?

Either way, outside of the 1st period vs the U.S. and 1st vs the Swiss, I've liked him. He's been good, not great (but no one on the Canadian roster deserves a "great" grading)

I agree with this .. And I haven't seem him with all these turnovers I read. Heck for a guy that handles the puck and makes plays, he play a tidy game in that he isn't overly careless with his passes. There hasn't been a blatant turnover by him that directly lead to the opposition getting a scoring chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad