Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Old thread is full. Here is the new one.

Mitch coming off 2 straight hat-tricks and out to head out to Team Canada.

Prospect Info: Mitch Marner - Player Discussion ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
As much hype as there is surrounding Marner, if his skills don't translate well into the pro game and he ends up as a 30/40 point player, would you still keep him?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Mitch is playing amazing right now. His shot is lethal too.

London plays today so maybe he'll get 3 hat-tricks in a row?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As much hype as there is surrounding Marner, if his skills don't translate well into the pro game and he ends up as a 30/40 point player, would you still keep him?

I am pretty confident that he is going to be a bonafide top liner and don't even want to think about him being a 30 / 40 point player once he is matured

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

what would make you think his skills won't translate? his issue right now is size, he has amazing natural ability that you can't teach, and even his shot is pretty damn lethal. Haven't seen his slapper (hasn't had to use it) so that might need work, but his skating, hands, speed, are all there for future success. He is going to a star and a top line player in a few years. Like I said you can't teach his natural ability. He is something else to watch.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Elite skills translate into the pro game.

To answer your (what I consider a silly) question, of course you keep him & pay him accordingly.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
what would make you think his skills won't translate? his issue right now is size, he has amazing natural ability that you can't teach, and even his shot is pretty damn lethal. Haven't seen his slapper (hasn't had to use it) so that might need work, but his skating, hands, speed, are all there for future success. He is going to a star and a top line player in a few years. Like I said you can't teach his natural ability. He is something else to watch.

I'm always on the edge when we draft someone and and see if the pan out well and they don't end up where we expect them (Our Draft Record). Rielly is panning out fine and Kadri is pretty much on the fence while the rest have been under expectation.

Its pretty much the lack of draft success is why I think about it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm always on the edge when we draft someone and and see if the pan out well and they don't end up where we expect them (Our Draft Record). Rielly is panning out fine and Kadri is pretty much on the fence while the rest have been under expectation.

Its pretty much the lack of draft success is why I think about it.

that article that one scout compared Mitch to Kadri I don't agree with. One big difference with Mitch and Kadri is that Mitch is a way better skater. He's faster, he accelerates at a quicker speed, and I believe he has a better shot, better passer too.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Yeah.... The only thing I will say is that one of those shorthanded goals looked very "datszyukian" Really hope he can translate this threat on the PK to the NHL. Having a player like that who can be that much of a threat when shorthanded is always nice.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Apparently you haven't seen him play recently. 30 point players can't do what Marner does on the ice.

Marner is a remarkably agile skater, highly creative and deft puck handler with a laser for a shot. He's much closer to McDavid than a 30 point player.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Mess, did that backhand goal the other night remind you of another smallish, smooth skating centre from our youth?

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Apparently you haven't seen him play recently. 30 point players can't do what Marner does on the ice.

Marner is a remarkably agile skater, highly creative and deft puck handler with a laser for a shot. He's much closer to McDavid than a 30 point player.

I know. I just wanted to throw a random point total out. I'm hoping at the very least he turns out to be someone like Gaudreau.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yeah.... The only thing I will say is that one of those shorthanded goals looked very "datszyukian" Really hope he can translate this threat on the PK to the NHL. Having a player like that who can be that much of a threat when shorthanded is always nice.

Gretzky is a little over the top but the Datsyuk and Kane comparisons are very valid. The bottom line is that Nylander and Marner represent two franchise players not unlike Toews and Kane.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Thinking of Dave Keon?

Yep! I can remember Keon as a rookie and how exciting it was to watch a young player of his evident promise. There is no guarantee Marner will turn out to be like him, and, indeed, I would say that Marner is less promising defensively and more promising offensively than Keon. Though it is hard to say how much Keon's offense was restrained playing under an uber disciplined, defensive coach like Punch Imlach. But Keon did have a deadly backhand. The real comparison for me, however, is that Marner regularly makes me say, "Wow!" just as Keon did.

I think I may be the oldest poster on this board. I've been watching the Leafs a long time, have seen a lot of prospects disappoint, or only flourish after leaving the Leafs and am usually cautious about the development of young players. But Marner and Nylander are exciting in a way I haven't felt in a long time. The last time I felt this optimistic about a pair of Leaf prospects was when Sittler and McDonald were coming along.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Yep! I can remember Keon as a rookie and how exciting it was to watch a young player of his evident promise. There is no guarantee Marner will turn out to be like him, and, indeed, I would say that Marner is less promising defensively and more promising offensively than Keon. Though it is hard to say how much Keon's offense was restrained playing under an uber disciplined, defensive coach like Punch Imlach. But Keon did have a deadly backhand. The real comparison for me, however, is that Marner regularly makes me say, "Wow!" just as Keon did.

I think I may be the oldest poster on this board. I've been watching the Leafs a long time, have seen a lot of prospects disappoint, or only flourish after leaving the Leafs and am usually cautious about the development of young players. But Marner and Nylander are exciting in a way I haven't felt in a long time. The last time I felt this optimistic about a pair of Leaf prospects was when Sittler and McDonald were coming along.

Thanks for sharing 67cup, that's really cool to hear for us younger fans.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
His vision is in another league compared to the people he's playing against. He clearly has elite skills but I would love to see how they translate to the NHL in preseason and maybe a 9 game cup of coffee next year.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
His vision is in another league compared to the people he's playing against. He clearly has elite skills but I would love to see how they translate to the NHL in preseason and maybe a 9 game cup of coffee next year.
He will be playing in the NHL next year

Can't see the Leafs keeping him in the OHL

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That backhander was ridiculous. Above the goalie's blocker, right under the crossbar, from that far out. Perfectly placed

Leads the league in shorthanded goals now

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I obviously never saw Keon play but I have a hard time believing comparison's of today's players to players from the 50's and 60's. The players today are so much more skilled then players of yester-generation. No offence to players in the 40's, 50's but scoring goals wasn't that hard. Stand up goalies, with small equipment with the same net size we have now, imagine a kid like Marner playing in those days haha it would be laughable.

Imagine Sidney Crosby, or Toews, or Malkin in those days...they'd probably hit 150 points on a yearly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad