Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Marner has been pretty dissapointing in this tournament so far. He didn't do much yesterday or in the USA game. Yes the tournament has zero effect on his development, but I was expecting a lot more dominating performance from him. Barzal and Strome looks a lot better than him, imo.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Marner has been pretty dissapointing in this tournament so far. He didn't do much yesterday or in the USA game. Yes the tournament has zero effect on his development, but I was expecting a lot more dominating performance from him. Barzal and Strome looks a lot better than him, imo.

Marner set up 1 of 2 goals in the US game, and created several chances yesterday including a post. Really don't understand what you people are expecting. Strome's line has been our best line thus far due to the talent on it, but Marner has only been disappointing if your expectations were ridiculous to begin with. Lots of hockey left to play.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Marner set up 1 of 2 goals in the US game, and created several chances yesterday including a post. Really don't understand what you people are expecting. Strome's line has been our best line thus far due to the talent on it, but Marner has only been disappointing if your expectations were ridiculous to begin with. Lots of hockey left to play.

^ This

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I think our expectations were somewhere along the lines of what Strome is doing which is hardly ridiculous.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think our expectations were somewhere along the lines of what Strome is doing which is hardly ridiculous.

Strome has one more point, and I'd argue that Marner has actually created more, but unfortunately his linemates have not converted on the chances Marner has set up.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Strome has one more point, and I'd argue that Marner has actually created more, but unfortunately his linemates have not converted on the chances Marner has set up.

I'd argue you have cognitive bias. Strome has been significantly better than Marner, not sure if anyone other than a select group of Leaf/Knight/Marner fans would argue otherwise.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
The problem was that Hockey Canada and especially Ryan Jankowski pumped up Marner so much that the expectations are unreasonable. I do however expect huge games from Marner from here in. Shifts need to be short and furious. Not just for Marner. Marner is also not happy about not being chosen for the shootout.

mikebel111*

This kid would get lapped by Kane. Just get Patty Kane out of your head because he is not going to be Patty Kane.

I also think Nylander wont become Giroux. People need to stop that, but I know you will attack me for this
Hanifin next Luke Schenn?

mikebel111*

I'd argue you have cognitive bias. Strome has been significantly better than Marner, not sure if anyone other than a select group of Leaf/Knight/Marner fans would argue otherwise.

Wrong as usual

Marner looking like a great pick, but I thought Hunter screwed up. No wonder you dont post when he has great, bias.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

He has 1 less point then Strome? So what exactly has made his performance poor and Strome's amazing? Is it Strome's ridiculous angled goal? Cause that's honestly what's separating them right now statistically.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He has 1 less point then Strome? So what exactly has made his performance poor and Strome's amazing? Is it Strome's ridiculous angle goal?

That goal still blows my mind.

I am going to have a ton of fun when Marner has a great game in the tournament.:laugh:

In tough against Sweden. Fortunately I don't think we'll have to face William Nylander, I think if William was in good health, we'd get stomped (as a team, not just Marner).

Time to move this to the Bozak vs. Kadri vs. Marner vs. Nylander vs. Reimer vs. Bernier vs. vs. vs. thread.

It isn't the Leafs section unless we're putting down someone and elevating another.

It's like when people are like Nylander>>>Marner.

Why does it need to be like that? We have both, and they aren't even 20 years old yet, I have no idea how people can make those statements.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

I dont get something.
None of his fans had expectations of domination by Marner for variety of reasons. Our expectations was to look decent and he has.
Yet the critics are complaining. Seems to me they had unrealistic expectations of domination. Which tells me the critics are wrong here as per ususl

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He has 1 less point then Strome? So what exactly has made his performance poor and Strome's amazing? Is it Strome's ridiculous angled goal? Cause that's honestly what's separating them right now statistically.

Its funny, people accuse me of not watching the games and only stat watching and yet the only thing people are using to compare Marner and Strome are stats.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Marner is still an amazing stick handler and I love his style. Sure he could have more points by now but he is super quick. He may not have top end speed but his agility is among the best and I think is NHL ready. He's toying with opponents at times and with his style of play, ugly giveaways will happen from time to time but he makes up for it with his playmaking. His linemates aren't usually prepared for his out of the box passes. I love seeing his creativity and I look forward to seeing him make highlight reel plays for years to come. Don't let the haters get to you, it's just a game after all.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I dont get something.
None of his fans had expectations of domination by Marner for variety of reasons. Our expectations was to look decent and he has.
Yet the critics are complaining. Seems to me they had unrealistic expectations of domination. Which tells me the critics are wrong here as per ususl

He's getting outplayed by a bunch of draft eligible players. Certainty your expectations were better than that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Marner is faster than he's being credited for. After being out for nearly that full powerplay in the second when Virtanen fed him that bad pass he missed on, he was still able to get up to speed with the Swiss PKer to prevent a chance at a goal.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He looks small and slow out there.

He'll need 4 or 5 years of seasoning in the AHL imo.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I don't get why anyone who doesn't have glowing remarks for Marner is accused of not watching the games.

It's one thing if someone is making outlandish remarks, but I've seen couple instances where posters gave their opinion pretty fairly.

I've also seen people going overboard as well, which I don't agree with.

I definately do think Marner needs to add explosiveness to his skating, he doesn't have the Kane's speed to create space for himself at the moment.

I still believe in Marner and his potential, as these are areas he can improve on with hard work and with right personal.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
People were in love with Domi last year at the WJC. When Domi was Marner's age, Domi didn't make the team.

Marner is an 18 year old in a 19 year old tournament.

Strome is playing better than Marner but if you think he is playing THAT much better than Marner, you're out to lunch. Just watch the damn games. When Marner is on the ice the puck is on his stick.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Google the Duncan Keith sucks thread. It's transcendent.

I hate how Keith is always brought up around here. He was a 2nd round pick that nobody expected to become arguably the best D in the NHL. If he became a bust no big deal.

Marner is the highest draft pick the Leafs have made in decades. The first pick by the new regime. He is putting up huge OHL numbers that compare with the best ever. The hype about this kid has been through the the roof. If he is a flop this will be an epic fail.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Marner will show up tomorrow and the Qs.. He's been good. Can he get even better this tournament? Absoluetky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad