Mississauga Steelheads 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Haven't the steelheads clinched the playoffs. Worst case is a tie with the Bulldogs and have won the head to head match ups with them.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
With Tippett and Leblanc back in the lineup, it will be the first time since the start of the year that the trout will have a full healthy lineup. Should be interesting tonight vs. Kingston.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With Tippett and Leblanc back in the lineup, it will be the first time since the start of the year that the trout will have a full healthy lineup. Should be interesting tonight vs. Kingston.

An well would you look at that. A team that goes out and allows 18 goals against one weekend beats another top 10 ranked team in the whole CHL.

I have no idea how but this team has been all over the place for most of the year. As long as we don't match up vs Barrie I'm happy.

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
An well would you look at that. A team that goes out and allows 18 goals against one weekend beats another top 10 ranked team in the whole CHL.

I have no idea how but this team has been all over the place for most of the year. As long as we don't match up vs Barrie I'm happy.

Ah, c'mon Torts, you just guaranteed we play Barrie.

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
If my math is correct, we still have a chance at 6th. Come on Trout!

Sure is! If petes lose today or if we win Sunday we lock up sixth. Which will probably be North Bay but could also be Niagara if North Bay loses and Niagara wins out.

Either way its looking like we'll get one of the two, road trip anyone?

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
So James Boyd is 108-142-5-17 in his last four seasons as HC and GM. It would be one thing if he was only the coach but he also recruits and manages his team so he cannot use his players as an excuse. If he is the HC next year I feel extremely bad for the players playing under him. Next year they have a legitimate shot at the East if they can bring in a goalie and Nylander comes back. Let's face it, they'll be done in 4-5 games against Barrie. They don't have set lines or d-pairings for the playoffs, their special teams are not in the top 10 once again. He still hasn't made it out of the first round as HC.

Its time for him to go and coach a couple years in Jr.A

JHUT44

Sep 22, 2015
Peel Region
Devils55 I couldn't agree more. I don't want to see next yr wasted with favoritism, minor hockey approach to his line combo's, overplaying goaltenders, underplaying certain players. They do have a loaded lineup next yr, and they should take the beating they are about to get from Barrie as a stepping stone, get some guys some experience. I don't want Boyd choosing next yr's OA class, as I know it will include a wrong player. I think Kerr and his team should look hard for a replacement. Maybe North Bays Oulahen........ Let's put an effort out against Barrie.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
I believe the OA's next year will be Walsh, Leblanc and Clark. Bourne is believed to be pursuing his education as he has his 4 years education package under his belt after playing as a 16 year old. But who knows, might bring in an OA goalie as well.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm sure most Sudbury fans would welcome the return of Leblanc, + in exchange for Timpano and Cummins/Meyer.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
In regards to Boyd - I'd welcome a coaching change with open arms, I'm sure there is qualified assistant HC's around the league looking for their chance. I want someone who is fresh and hungry to win (not saying Boyd isn't, I don't know him personally). The Oulahen comment would be a great choice, learned under Stan. Besides that I won't speculate until their is an actual vacancy at the club.

Playoffs - you never know what could happen but Barrie is a very strong team. I always say Don't Doubt the Trout but this will be a tough uphill climb for them this series.

As for next year OA's obviously theres always a chance players bow out for school but I think its a matter that should be addressed next season. We'll have to see if our D is stronger or our offence. There is some dmen in line for ice time bumps next year and keeping 2 OA defenders might make that difficult.

Regardless of everything my hat goes off to Josh Burnside, he's been here through the tough, the tougher and pretty much everything we've experienced as a team the past 5 years. I spoke to him briefly after the game and he's a great kid. Wherever he goes in the future I wish him all the success possible - he is certainly a hard worker!

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
As much as Barrie is probably the last team the Steelheads wanted to see, you just never know in the playoffs. Its all about making the adjustments, and it takes one string of momentum from either team. Fortunately for Mississauga this isn't the same Scheifele, Hall, Telegin, Camara roster they played four years ago.

JHUT44

Sep 22, 2015
Peel Region
As for the OA's next yr my fingers are crossed that it is DMB, Clark, Walsh.. We will see. I believe DMB would dominate next yr with some more ice time. This is if Day returns and is not traded.. If Day stays there is no need for 2 OA D.. This series could be interesting if Flinn gets hot.. Mississauga needs to body up on 26 and 12... every time they get a chance.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Yes he is. Nylander could have gone in the game against Niagara but the team held him out, giving him essentially a full week to deal with his minor injury which i won't get into.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Is Nylander expected back next season as a "coach"? Not to start anything, but do you feel like your team was advanced with him behind the bench?

Re Tippett - is he genuinely at full health right now? I only ask because depending on how you do in first round, he's a player who, ability-wise, should be able to play at IIHF U18. In any event, he's really an amazing player and, imo, is in line for a huge draft year.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
As much as Barrie is probably the last team the Steelheads wanted to see, you just never know in the playoffs. Its all about making the adjustments, and it takes one string of momentum from either team. Fortunately for Mississauga this isn't the same Scheifele, Hall, Telegin, Camara roster they played four years ago.

Agreed, still a deep Colts team with Mangiapane, Labanc, Sadowy etc... We'll have to stay out of the box and get on those guys to even have a chance. I'm just glad playoff hockey is back!

As for the OA's next yr my fingers are crossed that it is DMB, Clark, Walsh.. We will see. I believe DMB would dominate next yr with some more ice time. This is if Day returns and is not traded.. If Day stays there is no need for 2 OA D.. This series could be interesting if Flinn gets hot.. Mississauga needs to body up on 26 and 12... every time they get a chance.

That's the thing. There's some younger players who are in line for more icetime next season (Tippett, R. McLeod, etc...). With that being said plus the McLeod, Bastian, Nylander (if he returns) is there actually enough minutes to go around? Just food for thought.

While you Steelhead fans aren't likely to enjoy my prediction on this one, here is our Barrie vs Mississauga OHL Playoff Preview,

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.c...eview-barrie-colts-vs-mississauga-steelheads/

Nice write up Macker - I hope your wrong :)

Is Nylander expected back next season as a "coach"? Not to start anything, but do you feel like your team was advanced with him behind the bench?

Re Tippett - is he genuinely at full health right now? I only ask because depending on how you do in first round, he's a player who, ability-wise, should be able to play at IIHF U18. In any event, he's really an amazing player and, imo, is in line for a huge draft year.

I think any player could learn something from a player with Nylander's NHL and international experience - I'm not close enough to the team to know for sure if it payed dividends. We are better then we were last year so there's that I guess.

As for Tippett I chatted with him at the teams Playoff Launch Party on Sunday - he says he is 100% good to go and back to full health. It'd be cool to see him at the U18 if selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad