Mississauga Steelheads 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
Not really -- it depends on the average age of the team. If you don't have a lot of '97 births, you're not likely to have a lot of players on the draft list.

If you don't have any '97 births on draft list, you probably aren't a good team and your chances for next year aren't all that great either. That's telling.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
If you don't have any '97 births on draft list, you probably aren't a good team and your chances for next year aren't all that great either. That's telling.

Not necessarily. In my years of watching the OHL it's not always about how many drafted/high profile players on your roster but how your players develop and grow. I will admit it does worry me but look at Stefan LeBlanc, listed on NHL central scouting last year, does not get drafted and goes to Ottawa Sens Dev camp. He is now a much better player than he was a year ago. Same case goes for Bourne.

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
Not necessarily. In my years of watching the OHL it's not always about how many drafted/high profile players on your roster but how your players develop and grow. I will admit it does worry me but look at Stefan LeBlanc, listed on NHL central scouting last year, does not get drafted and goes to Ottawa Sens Dev camp. He is now a much better player than he was a year ago. Same case goes for Bourne.

From what I have seen, this is a league of 18 and 19 year olds. If yours aren't good your team isn't good. This is not a knock on LeBlanc, I like his game. A quick look shows three teams do not have any players on the draft list, Missy, Sudbury, and Plymouth. What do these teams have in common? Kingston and Windsor each have one player listed. The outlier with one player listed in North Bay.

Sorry, missed Capobianco on Sudbury. But that is still only 1 player listed.

Last edited:

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think one point that has failed to be mentioned, is the Steelheads likely would have a player listed, but they used their pick in 2013 1st round pick on Sean Day, who was granted exceptional player status (as we all know) and born in 1998, thus making him ineligible for the 2015 NHL draft. Also Nathan Bastian who is a fairly good player born in 1997 is not listed because of his early December birthday, he will be a top 100 prospect in next years draft and arguably would be a top 150 prospect in this years draft. I would also bet by the time the final draft listing is out, Stephen Gibson cracks the list as he has improved game in and game out since gaining more ice time and consistently being in the lineup. While Gibson may not get drafted, I believe he's made enough strides to crack the final listing.

Next year's draft will see Mikey McLeod, Nathan Bastian and Sean Day all go in the top 100, with Day and McLeod likely being first round or early second round picks.

The Steelheads don't draft well, lets be honest. However they have set themselves up fairly well for the coming years if Bourne and Clark continue to develop, along with the likes of Mike McLeod, Nathan Bastian and Sean Day. LeBlanc will likely stick around until his OA season and Cianfrone, Burnside and Zottl could and should return as OA's next year. If Lodge returns that's a huge boost and Zottl will be gone

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
The OHL is no longer a league where the Coach and GM can be one position. There is too much work to do and there needs to be a focus on both areas.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Hounds fan here. Got a chance to watch the game on TV last night. I will admit that I'm not familiar with your team, especially playing in separate conferences. The announcers mentioned the Steelheads were in the middle of a slump. Sure didnt look that way last night against the Hounds. Missy did not give up, ever. I was just anticipating their next goal for most of the game.

Really liked the play of defenseman Sean Day. Seemed to look in control at all times. It wasnt till halfway through the game that the announcers stated he was part of the young nucleus on the team. Jimmy Lodge looked real good. I know how good he can be watching him play on Saginaw the last few years. And your captain (sorry cant remember his name) who I think wore #19. This guy worked hard all 3 periods and created some good scoring chances.

Again, these observations are from an outsider who only watched last nights game. Good luck the rest of the season.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
James Boyd said he thinks we can finish forth in the East this year. I am Okay with just making the playoffs at this point lol

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
James Boyd said he thinks we can finish forth in the East this year. I am Okay with just making the playoffs at this point lol

A lot needed to happen this year for us to finish 4th. That is banking on everyone taking a step up in their game this year. Unfortunately most didn't. Key defenders like Walsh and LeBlanc are still good but I feel only marginally improved from last year. Barwell (eventually traded) and our 97 core didn't improve and while some players stayed consistent like Cianfrone and Babs, other older players did not contribute or get better (Venuto, Burnside, etc...). Plus you add in Martin's injury. I understand they had their expectations, looking back on it now if it all went right yeah maybe we could have finished 4th but that's not how it all happened.

I had to miss town hall meeting but I heard that Boyd believes 5 players will be added to the team for next year. 2 new import players, 1st round pick from 2015, Luke Kutkevicius and Nic Hague.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
A lot needed to happen this year for us to finish 4th. That is banking on everyone taking a step up in their game this year. Unfortunately most didn't. Key defenders like Walsh and LeBlanc are still good but I feel only marginally improved from last year. Barwell (eventually traded) and our 97 core didn't improve and while some players stayed consistent like Cianfrone and Babs, other older players did not contribute or get better (Venuto, Burnside, etc...). Plus you add in Martin's injury. I understand they had their expectations, looking back on it now if it all went right yeah maybe we could have finished 4th but that's not how it all happened.

I had to miss town hall meeting but I heard that Boyd believes 5 players will be added to the team for next year. 2 new import players, 1st round pick from 2015, Luke Kutkevicius and Nic Hague.

He said 2 for sure, 3 if including the 1st rd pick

But basically said he won't use an import pick for the sake of using it which scares me.

WhoisJohnGalt

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
just wondering why Boyd did not start Zanussi in Sudbury on Friday so you could start a rested Brennan tonight against the Soo? Doesn't make sense to start your #1 against the worst team in the league, then start your relatively unused backup against one of the best teams.

The Fan

Mar 30, 2014
just wondering why Boyd did not start Zanussi in Sudbury on Friday so you could start a rested Brennan tonight against the Soo? Doesn't make sense to start your #1 against the worst team in the league, then start your relatively unused backup against one of the best teams.

Welcome to the the Life and Times of the the Steelheads. Watched the game lastnight on TV, even the Gentlemen broadcasting the game had the same question. I guess the coach was just joking about about finishing 4th or 5th in the division.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

Welcome to the the Life and Times of the the Steelheads. Watched the game lastnight on TV, even the Gentlemen broadcasting the game had the same question. I guess the coach was just joking about about finishing 4th or 5th in the division.

The same question we asked earlier in the season when he played Martin vs Sudbury and Zanussi vs Plymouth. Quite a head scratcher....

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
The same question we asked earlier in the season when he played Martin vs Sudbury and Zanussi vs Plymouth. Quite a head scratcher....

His mind was probably on the super bowl as Boyd clearly was coaching the Seahawks when they threw instead of running the ball at the end of the game only he could come up with such a bone head play. Without a doubt my ticket renewal rides on Boyd either achieving this 4th place his going for or being fired his lame ass lost answer to my goalie questions at season ticketholder meeting sealed that. Go Hawks!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
His mind was probably on the super bowl as Boyd clearly was coaching the Seahawks when they threw instead of running the ball at the end of the game only he could come up with such a bone head play. Without a doubt my ticket renewal rides on Boyd either achieving this 4th place his going for or being fired his lame ass lost answer to my goalie questions at season ticketholder meeting sealed that. Go Hawks!

I should have jumped in on that question with you. No disrespect but that townhall meeting showed me that they are willing to consistently settle for average. Did not like anything I heard.

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
I should have jumped in on that question with you. No disrespect but that townhall meeting showed me that they are willing to consistently settle for average. Did not like anything I heard.

Meh I liked Elliott's talk about being family that seemed pretty cool as that ******* never should have left a note on his car. but rest of it seemed like they didn't care what happens on the ice Boyd's answers were a joke, just kept trying to stay ahead of fans feel like if they hadn't won that day it'd have been much worse. Also when he went on about not using imports when he can just use Canadian talent remember don cherry's brilliant attempt along the same lines? This team needs a change fast & if I were a young goalie I would stay as far from Mississauga as possible.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Meh I liked Elliott's talk about being family that seemed pretty cool as that ******* never should have left a note on his car. but rest of it seemed like they didn't care what happens on the ice Boyd's answers were a joke, just kept trying to stay ahead of fans feel like if they hadn't won that day it'd have been much worse. Also when he went on about not using imports when he can just use Canadian talent remember don cherry's brilliant attempt along the same lines? This team needs a change fast & if I were a young goalie I would stay as far from Mississauga as possible.

Yeah, and that's what I was saying to Tihal after the meeting. Like this teams leading goal scorer after lodge is an import. And to go farther, Kitchener, London, Oshawa and nearly every team has an import player making a difference. Some have 2. If they don't at least use those picks this year that really concerns me.

The Fan

Mar 30, 2014
Yeah, and that's what I was saying to Tihal after the meeting. Like this teams leading goal scorer after lodge is an import. And to go farther, Kitchener, London, Oshawa and nearly every team has an import player making a difference. Some have 2. If they don't at least use those picks this year that really concerns me.

There tone may have been different if Nylander would have played here. He may have been the difference of this team going in the right direction. His play for sure would of raised others.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
There tone may have been different if Nylander would have played here. He may have been the difference of this team going in the right direction. His play for sure would of raised others.

Oh I agree with you 100%. Nylander is the type of player that wins you a round in the playoffs. But we all knew before the import draft that he wasn't coming. I just wish they would have drafted better in the import and did some research. No disrespect to Babinstev but we could have found 1 for sure but possibly 2 better imports in the draft then him.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Babs has been consistent this year and provides needed offense when asked. Tough to say a 2nd round import pick could have contributed more this year, especially considering they would have at least been a couple years younger then Sam.

But the Nylander pick still scratches my head. Take the lower risk player that will for sure show up then whatever he contributes is better then 0. Big offseason as I look forward to who they pick up in the priority selection and the import draft.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Babs has been consistent this year and provides needed offense when asked. Tough to say a 2nd round import pick could have contributed more this year, especially considering they would have at least been a couple years younger then Sam.

But the Nylander pick still scratches my head. Take the lower risk player that will for sure show up then whatever he contributes is better then 0. Big offseason as I look forward to who they pick up in the priority selection and the import draft.

I suppose you are right, is tough to say but not unheard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad