Mississauga Steelheads 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fan

Mar 30, 2014
quick start

Can't wait for the season to start. I hope they can get the job done right from the start. I was wondering if they have picked up any natural goal scorers? It would be nice to have a 60 - 80 points a year player or maybe even 2 or 3 of them.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
While not exactly a pure goal scorer I expect Bryson Cianfrone to see his point totals jump up to around the 65-75 range. 75 would be on the high end, but I believe he has the talent to get there. The Steelheads style of play seems to limit offensive players a bit, but none the less if anyone on the roster as it sits today is to reach that point total expect it to be Cianfrone. Don't be shocked to see 2014 1st round pick Mike McLeod reach that mark by year 3 in his OHL career.

Here's my take on what the 2014-2015 lineup should look like,

Cianfrone-Venuto-Burnside
McLeod-Barwell-Babinstev
Bourne-Bastian-Goldberg
MacIntyre-Smith-Robinson
Donnelly, Thompson, Gerhart, Clark

Day-Zottl
LeBlanc-Walsh
DiTomaso-Graves
Gibson
Hauge (In a Call-Up Situation)

Martin
Carty

*Personally I expect to see Graves moved at some point, as they need to find space for Gibson. I feel he is equally as good as Graves but much younger, an needs ice time to develop. Even in his limited time up with the Steelheads last season I felt he outplayed regulars on the backend.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Cody Thompson get dropped down to the Mississauga Chargers, or traded or outright released, as he's a 95 and doesn't exactly add much to the lineup.. I mean some of the younger players can play a similar role an need ice to develop. As far as Gerhart and Clark, they have some potential, there simply is no room for these guys, the Steelheads need to cash in on moving some of these younger players to either add draft picks for a later trade or to add some offense.

Overall I expect the Steelheads to be much improved over last season, wouldn't shock me to see a top four finish, but that's on the high end, 5/6/7 is more realistic.

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
While not exactly a pure goal scorer I expect Bryson Cianfrone to see his point totals jump up to around the 65-75 range. 75 would be on the high end, but I believe he has the talent to get there. The Steelheads style of play seems to limit offensive players a bit, but none the less if anyone on the roster as it sits today is to reach that point total expect it to be Cianfrone. Don't be shocked to see 2014 1st round pick Mike McLeod reach that mark by year 3 in his OHL career.

Here's my take on what the 2014-2015 lineup should look like,

Cianfrone-Venuto-Burnside
McLeod-Barwell-Babinstev
Bourne-Bastian-Goldberg
MacIntyre-Smith-Robinson
Donnelly, Thompson, Gerhart, Clark

Day-Zottl
LeBlanc-Walsh
DiTomaso-Graves
Gibson
Hauge (In a Call-Up Situation)

Martin
Carty

*Personally I expect to see Graves moved at some point, as they need to find space for Gibson. I feel he is equally as good as Graves but much younger, an needs ice time to develop. Even in his limited time up with the Steelheads last season I felt he outplayed regulars on the backend.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Cody Thompson get dropped down to the Mississauga Chargers, or traded or outright released, as he's a 95 and doesn't exactly add much to the lineup.. I mean some of the younger players can play a similar role an need ice to develop. As far as Gerhart and Clark, they have some potential, there simply is no room for these guys, the Steelheads need to cash in on moving some of these younger players to either add draft picks for a later trade or to add some offense.

Overall I expect the Steelheads to be much improved over last season, wouldn't shock me to see a top four finish, but that's on the high end, 5/6/7 is more realistic.

1st line I agree, but Cianfrone centre, and Venuto on the wing .
The rest of the lines are cool with me. Also Donnelly over Robinson on 4 th line.

No way Zottl on the top d pairing ,
Zottl anywhere in the 5,6, or 7 .

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Zottl shouldn't be a top pairing D-Man your completely justified in that opinion, I agree. However his style of play fits as a partner to Day's game. Zottl's defensive style allows Day to be the puck moving/rushing offensive defenseman he needs to be for the Steelheads to be successful. Ideally, I'd move Graves or DiTomaso along with maybe some picks or some younger guys on the outside of the lineup for a real top pairing D-Man. Then move Zottl down to play with DiTomaso or Gibson.

As far as Donnelly and Robinson I feel those two are interchangeable, either on can fill that 4th line role adequately

thething

Jul 28, 2014

Do you think McLeod will reach that total (or higher) by his second year?

How has he looked during training camp/preseason?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Do you think McLeod will reach that total (or higher) by his second year?

How has he looked during training camp/preseason?

I think 75 points for McLeod in year three is selling him short. He will be an 100 point guy by the time he is done in this league. Absolute stud. Best forward from past draft and my prediction for ROTY. Close second.. Jonathan Ang! ;)

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
Nice to see some offense today vs Erie . 8 goals is always nice to see especially for this Steelheads team. Hoping for better a year offensively speaking .

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
While I agree Mike McLeod will be a rookie of the year candidate an has 100 point potential, I think it's best to temper your expectations of a 16 year old who's yet to play a regular season game. Like I've mentioned the Steelheads defensive style of play will likely hinder a guy like McLeod in his offensive game. Throw in a probable world junior camp invite, possibly making the world junior team in year 3 an his games played will take a 10-12 game hit, which is another reason I believe 75-80 is a more reasonable expectation. Look for him to hit 45-55 points in year one.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Can't wait for the season to start. I hope they can get the job done right from the start. I was wondering if they have picked up any natural goal scorers? It would be nice to have a 60 - 80 points a year player or maybe even 2 or 3 of them.

Just like listed before. Cianfrone will be the primary finisher on this team THIS year I think. With improved players around him and a healthy season 65-70 points is a possibility.

While I agree Mike McLeod will be a rookie of the year candidate an has 100 point potential, I think it's best to temper your expectations of a 16 year old who's yet to play a regular season game. Like I've mentioned the Steelheads defensive style of play will likely hinder a guy like McLeod in his offensive game. Throw in a probable world junior camp invite, possibly making the world junior team in year 3 an his games played will take a 10-12 game hit, which is another reason I believe 75-80 is a more reasonable expectation. Look for him to hit 45-55 points in year one.

Exactly where I would have Mikey this season. He's gunna struggle and be inconsistent like any rookie but if he gets top 6 minutes and powerplay time hopefully he will be able to come close to 60 points and maybe ROTY award.

Who knows...

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Have the Steelheads signed any of their 2014 priority picks besides McLeod?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
@NHLFREEAGENTS: Colorado Avalanche assigned Spencer Martin to the Mississauga Steelheads of the OHL #NHL #OHL

dcook872

Mar 23, 2014
Steelheads acquire D Brandon Devlin from the Petes for a 5th rd pick in 2016 and 3 rd pick in 2017. Interesting move, but that means the Steelheads now have 4 over agers, Goldberg, Ventu, and Babintsev. I wonder who is going to be the odd man out?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Steelheads acquire D Brandon Devlin from the Petes for a 5th rd pick in 2016 and 3 rd pick in 2017. Interesting move, but that means the Steelheads now have 4 over agers, Goldberg, Ventu, and Babintsev. I wonder who is going to be the odd man out?

Great pick up IMO. Will add some offense from the back end. My guess is one of Goldberg or Venuto are odd man out. I'd say Venuto, Goldberg might not be as good offensively but Goldberg has been around longer and better for us moving forward.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
Devlin

Nice pick-up for the Steelheads in Devlin for a relatively cheap price. Pretty sure Babintsev counts as 2 overage spot as his an import pick that went undrafted! It looks like Nylander will be joining the Steelheads as well I believe, not strong enough to play with the big boys just yet and he said he'll play wherever toronto wants him too! Toronto told Mississauga to draft him so they could better see him develop! heres my line-up once Nylander gets sent down!

Nylander - Cianfrone - Venuto
Burnside - Mcleod - Goldberg
Thompson - Barwell - Gerhart
Bourne - Bastian - Macintyre

Clark - Smith - Robinson - Donnelly

Lots of Depth - could see a trade to improve top 6 F

Leblanc L - Devlin R
Day L - Walsh R
Zotll L - Gibson R

Ditomaso - Graves - could see a trade to improve last pairing (top 4 are good to go)

Any thoughts ?

dcook872

Mar 23, 2014
Nice pick-up for the Steelheads in Devlin for a relatively cheap price. Pretty sure Babintsev counts as 2 overage spot as his an import pick that went undrafted! It looks like Nylander will be joining the Steelheads as well I believe, not strong enough to play with the big boys just yet and he said he'll play wherever toronto wants him too! Toronto told Mississauga to draft him so they could better see him develop! heres my line-up once Nylander gets sent down!

Leblanc L - Devlin R
Day L - Walsh R
Zotll L - Gibson R

Ditomaso - Graves - could see a trade to improve last pairing (top 4 are good to go)

Any thoughts ?

I think they should include Graves or Ditomaso in with one of the OAs for a higher end draft pick in the 2015 draft.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Leblanc L - Devlin R
Day L - Walsh R
Zotll L - Gibson R

Any thoughts ?

Nylander played with the big boys fine last year in Sweden. He's eligible to return to the SHL or head to the AHL. He won't be in Mississauga. Sorry

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Leblanc L - Devlin R
Day L - Walsh R
Zotll L - Gibson R

Any thoughts ?

I don't think so

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Devlin on the top pair is a very scary thought.... Don't get too ahead of yourselves here.

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
Great pick up IMO. Will add some offense from the back end. My guess is one of Goldberg or Venuto are odd man out. I'd say Venuto, Goldberg might not be as good offensively but Goldberg has been around longer and better for us moving forward.

I too think its a great pick up and at a good price . I'll take Venuto over Goldberg .Venuto has more skill and looks really good this year.
Venuto, Babinstev , Devlin. for OA's.

Look to move :
Goldberg odd man out , as well as Graves .

Should pick up some decent picks or whatever ...

Btw, Nylander no chance !
But Can u imagine how he would of changed that offensive threat if he would of came . Wow.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Babinstev - Cianfrone - Venuto
Burnside - Mcleod - Bastian
Bourne- Barwell - Gerhart
Thompson - Macintyre - Donnelly

Clark - Smith - Robinson

Leblanc - Devlin
Day - Walsh
Graves- DiTomaso
Zottl

Gibson

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Goldberg was the OA the team decided to move on from after acquiring Devlin from Peterborough. In my opinion not a smart move. Goldberg brings just as much, if not more to the table as Babinstev, yet he only occupied an OA spot and not an Import spot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad