Speculation: Mission Impossible: The search for a #1

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think the best course of action would be to go to the draft and pick the best available defenseman at 6, and then do the same thing for the next 3-4 seasons. The team has enough forward prospect depth. The biggest problem this team has had for the last 5 seasons is that the defense is barely AHL competent.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I think the best course of action would be to go to the draft and pick the best available defenseman at 6, and then do the same thing for the next 3-4 seasons. The team has enough forward prospect depth.

Not really. And definitely not at Center they don't. Plus we don't really need depth at this point. We need elite.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Not really. And definitely not at Center they don't. Plus we don't really need depth at this point. We need elite.

With Athanasiou, Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Mantha the team has four very good-to-excellent top-six forwards. Zadina and Veleno will be, at least, middle-six players. The biggest problem facing the team is the defense.

I would go so far as to say that adding a true puck-moving defenseman to the roster would be transformative, and I don't think you are going to be able to acquire that through free agency or trades.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
McIsaac???
He did phenomenal in his d+1, playing half of the season with a hurt shoulder. He fixed his major complaint at the draft which was lack of offense. I would imagine we will see him in Detroit and Grand Rapids for a bit next season when he gets healthy. I am just as high on him as I am on Veleno.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd largely abandon the idea of getting a Norris caliber #1 and focus on assembling a blueline with the highest over all talent level. If the opportunity presents itself to get a guy like Karlsson or Josi or whoever, or someone we draft becomes that, great. But prepare to go forward with a group of 2/3/4 level guys where we may not have the top top end but we also don't have the bottom end other teams have.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
They will probably sign extensions, but Josi and Pietrangelo are currently slated to be UFA in 2020!
I imagine they would either be extended as you say, or they would be traded and signed by the acquiring team like Karlsson and likely Trouba. No way St Louis or Nashville lose those guys for nothing.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
We wont be getting one this year sorry guys, maybe next year but other than drafting one a trade most of us wont like most likely.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Draft
Draft
Draft
Draft
Develop
Develop
Develop
Develop

We have not picked this high nor have we had as many picks as we will from 2017-2021(yes expect another two bottom 5 finishes with selling at the deadline folks)

We have never had this concerted of an effort to develop so many guys. Our old MO was simply to augment our existing stars only, not breed new ones.

Its gonna take time and more pain but in the long run it will be worth it

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd largely abandon the idea of getting a Norris caliber #1 and focus on assembling a blueline with the highest over all talent level. If the opportunity presents itself to get a guy like Karlsson or Josi or whoever, or someone we draft becomes that, great. But prepare to go forward with a group of 2/3/4 level guys where we may not have the top top end but we also don't have the bottom end other teams have.

No elite talent at any position! Best way to build a bubble team.

Reactions: taliababa

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We wait another 15 years for one to fall in our lap. Definitely don't try and get one with any of our assets. That would be crazy talk.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Calgary is absolutely loaded at defenseman in their pipeline and on the roster.

I would reach out to them on Valimaki, Andersson, or Kylington. Someone has to be expendable with all the assets they have accumulated. Also would not mind Brodie, if he could be had at a reasonable cost (maybe at the TDL with an expiring contract)

Teams aren't going to give you a true #1, don't even really think Trouba meets that, at least not yet. We just need to be concerned with adding more talent at a reasonable cost to what we have, and supplementing through the draft.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Calgary is absolutely loaded at defenseman in their pipeline and on the roster.

I would reach out to them on Valimaki, Andersson, or Kylington. Someone has to be expendable with all the assets they have accumulated. Also would not mind Brodie, if he could be had at a reasonable cost (maybe at the TDL with an expiring contract)

Teams aren't going to give you a true #1, don't even really think Trouba meets that, at least not yet. We just need to be concerned with adding more talent at a reasonable cost to what we have, and supplementing through the draft.

How did Calgary get all their talent?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How did Calgary get all their talent?

Well they signed Mark Giordano as an undrafted free agent. And they acquired Noah Hanifin by trading Dougie Hamilton, a 40 point winger, and a defensive prospect who never signed in order to work his way to his hometown team Rangers. By the way, they acquired Dougie Hamilton by trading a first and two second round picks. Acquired Michael Stone was acquired for a few draft picks. Acquired Travis Hamonic for a first and two seconds.

Beyond that, they drafted and developed a #2-4 defenseman in Brodie who they are potentially looking to trade, and drafted several defenseman who have yet to accomplish anything in the NHL like Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson, etc. by missing the playoffs in 7 of the last 10 years and advancing past the first round once.

So you would be suggesting that the Wings be absolutely terrible for 10 years in order to draft a bunch of defensemen that might be NHLers, but all the impactful defensemen you acquire will come via trades or signings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad