Missing out on [fill in the blank] set the franchise back [fill in the blank] years

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2013 was a good draft if we hadn’t traded away or lost all but Risto. We only have one player or less from each draft since 2013 who played the majority of the season for the Sabres last year.

The team has been so bad during that stretch that those players are leaders in the worst +/- if their respective draft classes.

Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and Dahlin(not fair him but still) are the worst for their drafts. Middlestadt is second. Nylander hasn’t played enough but the worst player for that class is....Tage stupid ass motha ****in Thompson.

I guess what I’m saying is that we can include up to the 2015 drafts as fails. Oloffson and Borgen might lessen the sting from those drafts but still considering what Those classes were suppose to be for us. It’s bad.

Edit. I just checked. Risto has the worst +/- for any player drafted in the 2000s and only Kovalchuk is close. -143 vs -142.

2013 is likely fair to call a bust, yes.

The rest are too early. Olofsson looks like a top 6 guy from round 7, Reinhart is 4th in points draft wide, and surprisingly Cornel could be a late bloomer. 2015, I mean, anyone calling Eichel anything other than a massive hit is just being disingenuous. Borgen looks like he has a nhl future.

I’d call Olofsson Reinhart Eichel Borgen over 2 years a success.

Also, using +/- to declare players as bad picks (ESPECIALLY Dahlin) is stupid.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
2013 is likely fair to call a bust, yes.

The rest are too early. Olofsson looks like a top 6 guy from round 7, Reinhart is 4th in points draft wide, and surprisingly Cornel could be a late bloomer. 2015, I mean, anyone calling Eichel anything other than a massive hit is just being disingenuous. Borgen looks like he has a nhl future.

I’d call Olofsson Reinhart Eichel Borgen over 2 years a success.

Also, using +/- to declare players as bad picks (ESPECIALLY Dahlin) is stupid.
The +- wasn’t a critique on the individual but us as a team during that time. Getting Eichel was a given. Same with Reinhart. A draft is a success when you get productive players beyond the 2nd picks in the draft. And it’s definitely a failure that we haven’t got any consistent production yet from 2013-15 from any players after the first round.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
2013 was a good draft if we hadn’t traded away or lost all but Risto. We only have one player or less from each draft since 2013 who played the majority of the season for the Sabres last year.

The team has been so bad during that stretch that those players are leaders in the worst +/- if their respective draft classes.

Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and Dahlin(not fair him but still) are the worst for their drafts. Middlestadt is second. Nylander hasn’t played enough but the worst player for that class is....Tage stupid ass motha ****in Thompson.

I guess what I’m saying is that we can include up to the 2015 drafts as fails. Oloffson and Borgen might lessen the sting from those drafts but still considering what Those classes were suppose to be for us. It’s bad.

Edit. I just checked. Risto has the worst +/- for any player drafted in the 2000s and only Kovalchuk is close. -143 vs -142.
What you expect they played on one of the worst teams in the league so plus minus doesnt say much.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Botterill should have:
Fire Housley get Trotz
Not trade RoR or just for a return with a quality player
Maybe don't get Sheary ..not worth the Hunwick baggage.
Get return for Skinner at TDL if not signed...that 36pick sounds s lot better than Skinner walking for nothing now..

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
The +- wasn’t a critique on the individual but us as a team during that time. Getting Eichel was a given. Same with Reinhart. A draft is a success when you get productive players beyond the 2nd picks in the draft. And it’s definitely a failure that we haven’t got any consistent production yet from 2013-15 from any players after the first round.

It's not like other teams are getting consistent production either from 2013-15...

Players in R2 with 100+ NHL games: 11, 2 of which were drafted before Buffalo's first pick. Of the remaining 9, 2 are JT Compher and Will Carrier. 1 is Remi Elie.
Players in R3+ with 100+ NHL games: 12. The only round you could say Buffalo could have done better is R3, where 8 players are more successful than Baptiste.

R2 with 100+: 4 players, 1 is Montour. Lemieux is at 72 games. Drafting him wasn't a mistake. Karabacek was a failure.
R3+ with 100+: 7 players, most notably Point and Arvidsson. Yeah, I guess Buffalo failed, but if they did so did like 20 other teams.

R2 with 100+: 5 players. Only player drafted after Guhle is Dunn. Failure isn't about drafting, it is about trading away 21, 25 and 31 and having nothing to show for it.
R3 and on: 1 player in R3 (Cirelli) with meaningful contributions. 3 in R4. 3 from R5-R7. Still early...

Drafting wasn't too much of a failure considering that most other teams don't have a lot of meaningful contribution outside of R1, it was rather asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad