Missing out on [fill in the blank] set the franchise back [fill in the blank] years

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
In 2015 everyone tried to play off the fact that we missed out on what could have been the coach that was supposed to turn this franchise around.

Here we are in 2019, another piss poor season with virtually no progression. Only achieving 14 more points then last year is flat out embarrassing. Got rid of another HC while the coaching prospects out there are dire. There's not a single coach that I see with the ambition to win the cup. I see fans content with guys like Boudreau and McLellan, two of the biggest chokers in NHL history lol.

We missed out on Quenneville, who in a few years will probably turn the Panthers completely around. I was never one to panic during our rebuild, but right now this team is in a very troubling state. We are a few more losing seasons away from Eichel walking out of here. Our great prospect pool is no longer so great anymore. Our window to make the jump and become a top team is closing within the next 3-4 years and time goes by very fast in this league.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Nah, Babcock is a quality coach but he's not gods gift to coaching. What set us back was overtanking, poor trades, and hiring four consecutive poor coaches. Not to mention the downright terrible drafting the last few years under Darcy. There are plenty of guys we could have hired and had more success, not just Babcock.

Reactions: Mattilaus

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
Nah, Babcock is a quality coach but he's not gods gift to coaching. What set us back was overtanking and hiring four consecutive poor coaches. There are plenty of guys we could have hired and has success beyond Babs

that's my point though. Missing out on him set a chain reaction of poor hirings. The club panicked and hired a terrible GM who hired a terrible HC

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
that's my point though. Missing out on him set a chain reaction of poor hirings. The club panicked and hired a terrible GM who hired a terrible HC
Fair, I agree with that. The specific events with Babcock sort of set off a chain reaction of ineptitude and poor decisions.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’d rather focus on the hundreds of bad decisions and unforced errors than something that was completely out of our control. That we were even in the running for a big name like that was actually pretty impressive.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Lol. Actually I’d probably say the Nolan/lafontaine hires followed by Tim Murray hire were the bigger issues.

Babcock was never coming to buffalo. Ever. We didn’t miss on him. He simply used up to drive up other teams asking price. His wife wanted to live downtown in a major metro area after they became empty nesters. Buffalo simply doesn’t have that.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's been one setback after another. When was the last time this team did something right? :laugh: The forced Peca and Hasek trades, Drury and Briere fiasco, matching the Vanek offer sheet, Brad Richards, Ville Leino, ...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Lol. Actually I’d probably say the Nolan/lafontaine hires followed by Tim Murray hire were the bigger issues.

Babcock was never coming to buffalo. Ever. We didn’t miss on him. He simply used up to drive up other teams asking price. His wife wanted to live downtown in a major metro area after they became empty nesters. Buffalo simply doesn’t have that.
Damn right, no need to pad the record of failure with things they had no control over.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
In 2015 everyone tried to play off the fact that we missed out on what could have been the coach that was supposed to turn this franchise around.

Here we are in 2019, another piss poor season with virtually no progression. Only achieving 14 more points then last year is flat out embarrassing. Got rid of another HC while the coaching prospects out there are dire. There's not a single coach that I see with the ambition to win the cup. I see fans content with guys like Boudreau and McLellan, two of the biggest chokers in NHL history lol.

We missed out on Quenneville, who in a few years will probably turn the Panthers completely around. I was never one to panic during our rebuild, but right now this team is in a very troubling state. We are a few more losing seasons away from Eichel walking out of here. Our great prospect pool is no longer so great anymore. Our window to make the jump and become a top team is closing within the next 3-4 years and time goes by very fast in this league.

LOL. Babcock made all the draft picks for Leafs and bad Sabres trades

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Think back to 2015, Jack Eichel was joining the team. But was the bigger problem losing the draft lottery, or was it missing out creating Gritty, the meme inducing paragon of Sports Entertainment Mascots?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad