Miscellaneous NHL Talk XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's another reason I have respect for Snider; he funded his own arena instead of being a drain on his hometown. That makes the team(s) and building true assets to the city. Being a good citizen is cooler than being a leech.

The Pens are leeches.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
~$4m for a young, 45 Point center/wing is the going rate when it includes UFA years.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That's another reason I have respect for Snider; he funded his own arena instead of being a drain on his hometown. That makes the team(s) and building true assets to the city. Being a good citizen is cooler than being a leech.

The Pens are leeches.

Maybe the Flyers should bring along their Zamboni + driver and ice girls, too, just to keep the costs down.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

so appropriate....pens are dirty to the core. leeches is right. even demi-god lemieux threatening to pull the pin and screw the pens fans. acting like an entitled whiny ******bag thats above the game. kinda reminds me of cindy, jenny and the rest of that ****box team. just fits perfect. also snider is more of a man than anybody in the pens organization, have to respect him.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
JR may be right about Mason but he provides zero reason why he thinks he is not so it's a pretty lousy prediction. I liked what I saw of Mason in his first playoff with the Flyers ..I thought that was a pretty good first step but we'll see going forward if Mason isn't ultimately cup material..

As far as his comment about the D...well duh. But yeah players like Luke Schenn who he is basically describing are not the kind of D men we need. He's just a stopgap for now but I definitely believe he doesn't have much of a long term future with the Flyers...

Roenick: Mason is not the Flyers' answer for a Stanley Cup

"I like Steve Mason, but I don’t think [he] is the answer to winning a Stanley Cup,” the former Flyer and current NHL analyst said on Comcast SportsNet’s "Philly Sports Talk" on Wednesday.

"I think you need an upper echelon defenseman, I think you need an upper echelon goaltender. Both, the Flyers do not have,” Roenick said. “I think that’s something that you’re going to have to look at in terms of improving your team.”

...Roenick also believes the team's defense needs to be addressed and retooled.

"I think the game has kind of bypassed the big, strong, burly defenseman that really can’t move too well. And I think the Philadelphia Flyers have been that type of team that put big defensemen back there to protect goaltenders," Roenick said. "This is a game of speed, quickness and transition, and they need more guys that can maneuver and guys that have more agility back there that can carry the play rather than the big strong guys. It’ll be interesting to see how they transition that after Kimmo [Timonen] finishes his career here."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...n_Stanley_Cup_Flyers.html#wSdQEIBUfWVtDoMm.99

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Well, it remains to be seen if Mase can string together another good season. I personally feel he can, but he has to do it. His performance last year in the PO was simply outstanding.

If guys like Fleury, Crawford and Niemi can win a cup, Mason has a chance to as well.

And for the record, he's been tremendous ever since coming here. The more and more I see of him excel here, the more I disregard those ****** years he had in Columbus. They really rushed him. He had the task of developing behind the worst team in the NHL, when he should have been in the AHL honing his craft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well, it remains to be seen if Mase can string together another good season. I personally feel he can, but he has to do it. His performance last year in the PO was simply outstanding.

If guys like Fleury, Crawford and Niemi can win a cup, Mason has a chance to as well.

And for the record, he's been tremendous ever since coming here. The more and more I see of him excel here, the more I disregard those ****** years he had in Columbus. They really rushed him. He had the task of developing behind the worst team in the NHL, when he should have been in the AHL honing his craft.

Hard to say they rushed him after the season he had as a rookie. Was he in the best situation? Maybe not, but he carried that team to the playoffs. Were they supposed to send him back down? Goalies are going to take their lumps at some point in their career. If they aren't mentally strong enough to fight through it, well they aren't going to last very long.

Mason at his best is one of the better goalies in the league. Unfortunately, he's not very consistent- his glove hand is up and down. Some of that is the guys playing in front of him. To say we have had some defensive breakdowns over the last two years is an understatement. The collection of defensemen we have had over that span have been underwhelming and our team defense hasn't been great either. I don't know if I have become so accustomed to watching Leighton, Bob, and Bryz give up backbreaking softies, but one thing Mason has done a good job of since he has been here is limiting those types of goals. That's a big plus to me.

I'm a believer that a goalie is only as good as the guys he's playing behind. Some goalies can steal a game, but the consistently good teams are mobile and deep on the backend. At this point, the Flyers are not one of those teams. The good news is Mason is entering his "goalie prime" and the system is now pretty deep with defensive prospects. The bad news is the prospects are a few years from making an impact and there's still some work to be done up front.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't consider Mason elite, but I would like to see how he performs with a better team in front of him as JR mentioned. I can't say he is or isn't a Cup quality goalie, but time is on his side. He just turned 26.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Mase played his heart out in the rangers series. He stood on his head despite some major defensive breakdowns and a flawed lineup defensively. I want to see him behind our defensive 2-3 years from now

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I was so impressed by mason against the Rangers, but I have to admit as the playoffs wore on it became clear as day that the Rangers were no offensive juggernaut. They had some serious problems scoring.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Meltzer's take on JR's "lazy narrative."

Stop me if you've heard this one before: A hockey analyst says that the Philadelphia Flyers lack an upper-echelon goaltender who is capable of taking the team deep in the playoffs.

That's what former Flyers' forward Jeremy Roenick said yesterday on CSN Philadelphia's Philly Sports Talk Live .

"I like Steve Mason," Roenick said on Philly Sports Talk, "but I don’t think Steve Mason is the answer to winning a Stanley Cup...."I think you need an upper echelon defenseman, I think you need an upper echelon goaltender. The Flyers do not have [either]. I think that’s something that you’re going to have to look at in terms of improving your team."

Specific to Mason, Roenick added, "He was a starter at one time [in Columbus]. "He became a backup and has moved a couple of times, and now he’s in Philly as another starter."

Let's work backwards here and start by correcting a factual mistake.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Mason-Roenick-Quick-Hits/45/61379

RJ8812*

Roenick is the type of guy that you enjoyed on the ice, but should have never been giving a broadcast position once he left the game. He's literally only there because he has a big mouth and only really talks to he can hear himself.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Roenick is the type of guy that you enjoyed on the ice, but should have never been giving a broadcast position once he left the game. He's literally only there because he has a big mouth and only really talks to he can hear himself.

That seems to be the sports host du jour lol. Bayless, Cowherd, Smith, Roenick, every sport/station has one.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I couldn't agree more. He's becoming more and more hateable with every passing season. He's gotten to Milbury level for me. It all started with him crying like a ***** after the Blackhawks won in 2010, while completing ignoring the fact that he played for the Flyers and picked them to win before the series when he was on TV in Philly.

RJ8812*

I couldn't agree more. He's becoming more and more hateable with every passing season. He's gotten to Milbury level for me. It all started with him crying like a ***** after the Blackhawks won in 2010, while completing ignoring the fact that he played for the Flyers and picked them to win before the series when he was on TV in Philly.

not to mentioned the fall-out he had with Chicago when he left there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad