Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLIII - April showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
NBC Sports Philly

Former Flyers favorite teammates.

Keith Jones (Flyers right winger, 1998-00)

“Craig Berube. Protected my [butt] on a game-to-game basis!”
Anything else made him a great teammate?
“Nothing!”

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
TSN ran the 3 game 1987 Canada Cup final recently and I recorded them but only just watched through them.

I only had vague memories of the tournament (I was 6 in 1987), but of course I remember Mario's game 3 winner because of how often it has been shown over the years.

What I never noticed until today is the incredible trip that Hawerchuk makes in the neutral zone that allowed Mario to be uncovered for Gretzky's pass. :laugh: The Soviets got screwed by Canadian refs. :sarcasm:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
TSN ran the 3 game 1987 Canada Cup final recently and I recorded them but only just watched through them.

I only had vague memories of the tournament (I was 6 in 1987), but of course I remember Mario's game 3 winner because of how often it has been shown over the years.

What I never noticed until today is the incredible trip that Hawerchuk makes in the neutral zone that allowed Mario to be uncovered for Gretzky's pass. :laugh: The Soviets got screwed by Canadian refs. :sarcasm:
One of the 2 greatest/most memorable events in the history of Copps Coliseum. The other: site of the first ever (official) WWF Royal Rumble (There had been one in St Louis a year prior but it was a non televised live event).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just got my game worn grail!!!!!!!

received_1923177754486475.jpeg

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Dumping and chasing if done right is more about counter attacking. Great neutral zone and blue line defense leads to ideal counter attacking. So a dump and chase can either tired out a team playing defense and attack them from the neutral zone in counters leading to the higher percentage chances.

Generally what I’ve read from coaches is this. It’s not always about maintaining control. But more about making the opposite team work harder. Ie skate harder, take checks, skate the whole ice.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just a taste of the main boards:

"Cooper Marody or Ryan McLeod have to be getting close to ripe eh? If Marody can make the leap, 3C should be okay in his hands for a bit."

" Marody is interesting though he’s a smart player, decent skills but he knows he has to work hard cause he doesn’t have the talent guys around him do. A big part of his transition to the bigs will be his skating but luckily for him that’s one area the oilers are good at developing."

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Just a taste of the main boards:

"Cooper Marody or Ryan McLeod have to be getting close to ripe eh? If Marody can make the leap, 3C should be okay in his hands for a bit."

" Marody is interesting though he’s a smart player, decent skills but he knows he has to work hard cause he doesn’t have the talent guys around him do. A big part of his transition to the bigs will be his skating but luckily for him that’s one area the oilers are good at developing."
The oilers and good at developing. Lol

Reactions: Stizzle

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The NBA is all but officially unofficially back. NHL unofficial official return announcement is probably not far away

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I'll say it every time

The Hawks had no business winning this series. That's how bad Leighton was.

It always bothered me that in the high scoring Game 1 Quenneville stuck with Niemi while we pulled Leighton. Not that Niemi was great, but that decision shows the difference.

Of course it never should have been Leighton. Emery in a perfect world would have been healthy. I remember after his early season injuries he put up a shutout in his return in Calgary. His brief stint that season is often forgotten.

Hell, even a bottom pair D-man may have made a difference. The only reason I remain skeptical is because I’m not confident we were winning in Chicago, at least not Game 7.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It always bothered me that in the high scoring Game 1 Quenneville stuck with Niemi while we pulled Leighton. Not that Niemi was great, but that decision shows the difference.

Of course it never should have been Leighton. Emery in a perfect world would have been healthy. I remember after his early season injuries he put up a shutout in his return in Calgary. His brief stint that season is often forgotten.

Hell, even a bottom pair D-man may have made a difference. The only reason I remain skeptical is because I’m not confident we were winning in Chicago, at least not Game 7.
We wouldn't have won in Chicago because it didn't even need to go 7

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I can't recall if Boosh was healthy going into the Finals after getting hurt earlier in the playoffs but if he was even if he was put in I feel like we would have had a better chance.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
June 4th. Two underrated gems. I couldn't decided which to post, so I went with both.

I promise I will not be posting any more highlights from this series.

Crazy that this was 10 years ago. The only time in their history that the Flyers played on my birthday, so I made sure I was in attendance.

At the time, StubHub wouldn't allow e-tickets, so the guy I bought two tickets from mailed them to my uncle who lives near Syracuse, NY (because mailing them to Vancouver meant I wouldn't get them in time). My uncle drove down to Philly and went to the game with me.

We sat behind the net where the Flyers shoot in the first and third periods. All of the Flyers goals were scored in that net and all of the Hawks goals were scored in the far net (so no goals in the 2nd period).

No better birthday experience and I was certain they were going to win the series after that game... which is crazy because I was so relieved that G scored in game 3 to ensure game 4 wasn't played with the Cup in the building.

Stupid Brian Campbell and Michael Leighton ruined everything.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is here nor there but I would've preferred they just bring the 11 teams to play a round robin with everyone and then go to the playoffs. Some of these teams are going to go through the training camp only to play 3-5 games, if that considering lineup changes. It's essentially a new season, may as well let it reflect that. You could weight the standings based on their previous placements.

With that said, the set up they're doing greatly benefits chaos and that should help the Flyers.

Overall, if they come out and burn out early, I'd feel more satisfied that at least their season ended on the ice. If so there's a part of me that wouldn't mind it if someone we've seen win recently wins it again to dispel any talk of it not being real. Something that greatly benefited that discourse in 1995 and 2013 is that the Devils and Blackhawks proved to be teams who were on top for an extended period.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Makes the round robin more important. I would have rather stayed in 4th to play the pens but now I’m thinking win out and get the top seed. The flyers have the best record of all the East round robin teams against the round robin teams per philly.com article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad