Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLIII - April showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
31 Thoughts: NHL, NHLPA hard at work on CBA extension - Sportsnet.ca

3) Finally, Anaheim GM Bob Murray raised eyebrows with his comments about Dallas Eakins’s first season during a Wednesday conference call.

“In hindsight, because of the year before and what happened at the end, I kind of backed off and gave everyone space. I didn’t feel I could be around as much. In hindsight, that’s a mistake. An error in judgement. My people argue with me on that. That won’t happen again. Everybody talking about the young guys, it just led players, at times, to say it’s just a rebuilding year, and that it doesn’t matter. Up and down the lineup, some of the kids were allowed to get away with murder this year. That’s over. Accountability in this group is going to change. I’ve said that a couple times. I’m hellbent on that happening going forward. The coaches are going to hear that loud and clear. They already have. That goes right from the lowest ice time to the most ice time and the most veteran guys to the younger guys. That leads to the inconsistencies. Some of that was, ‘Okay, we have some of the young guys. We’re going to be young.’”

Reactions: Defect

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Crazy that this was 10 years ago. The only time in their history that the Flyers played on my birthday, so I made sure I was in attendance.

At the time, StubHub wouldn't allow e-tickets, so the guy I bought two tickets from mailed them to my uncle who lives near Syracuse, NY (because mailing them to Vancouver meant I wouldn't get them in time). My uncle drove down to Philly and went to the game with me.

We sat behind the net where the Flyers shoot in the first and third periods. All of the Flyers goals were scored in that net and all of the Hawks goals were scored in the far net (so no goals in the 2nd period).

No better birthday experience and I was certain they were going to win the series after that game... which is crazy because I was so relieved that G scored in game 3 to ensure game 4 wasn't played with the Cup in the building.

Stupid Brian Campbell and Michael Leighton ruined everything.

Happy birthday!

I can’t remember, what specifically was Brian Campbell guilty of?

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Something that greatly benefited that discourse in 1995 and 2013 is that the Devils and Blackhawks proved to be teams who were on top for an extended period.

Big difference between those two. Hawks had been crowned champs just three years before, but the Devils hadn't won at that point and missed the playoffs the next season. :laugh: So I'm going to maintain the Devils' win was a fluke with a thumb on the scale, as much as that "almost" Panthers team the next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll say it every time

The Hawks had no business winning this series. That's how bad Leighton was.

If we had 2020 Hart in net, who is not even close to a finished product, we win that series in 5 games. Hell if we had a healthy Boucher we win that series. People forget that when he came into games in relief, his lower body was really banged up from a collision caused by Ryan Parent earlier in the playoffs.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Posted this on the MB...

They should be able to condense the playoffs due the the lack of travel.

In the seven game series, games 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 can be back to backs. And there should never be more more than one rest day between games in a series.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never heard of him

Does anyone here still watch those shouting shows? I’ve given that stuff up whether it be sports or politics. Gives me a headache.

I hadn't heard of him and I didn't know his name, I just recognize his face and know what their show is about. And the only reason I know that is because I saw about 15 min of their show when I was in a doctors waiting room a while back. :laugh: It wasn't my choice.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'll watch PTI if it's on.

I dont think PTI is as much of a shouting show though. Wilbon and Kornheiser get along fairly well and the disagreements they have are largely more comedic. From the clips of seen of Stephen A and this dude, as well as the guy who argues with Shannon sharpe all the time, they are much more just rage debating. PTI is a fun watch, at least.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Posted this on the MB...

They should be able to condense the playoffs due the the lack of travel.

In the seven game series, games 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 can be back to backs. And there should never be more more than one rest day between games in a series.

I doubt they have so many back to back games. They will likely go game, day off, game, day off, etc...

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If we had 2020 Hart in net, who is not even close to a finished product, we win that series in 5 games. Hell if we had a healthy Boucher we win that series. People forget that when he came into games in relief, his lower body was really banged up from a collision caused by Ryan Parent earlier in the playoffs.

I remember the first two games of that series well as I was the best man in my buddies wedding IN Chicago haha. It was fun going out to watch games 1 and 2 there. Their bars have a lot of lights and fan fair. We could have won multiple games. And of course if we had Kane and they had JVR it would be that much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad