Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ah, to be young and naive again...
giphy.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder if Colin Miller plays another game for the Sabres after his poor season there.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That sounds nice and all, but can you imagine 82 games of Justin Braun?

Hey, how about some appreciation for our star defensemen who was part of the 3-man newcomer squad who alone turned this team from hopeless trash into a contender.

He was playing a lot better towards the end of the season. I like having him in the playoffs personally.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was playing a lot better towards the end of the season. I like having him in the playoffs personally.
Braun? You sure you aren’t remembering that backwards?

He played well earlier in the year when playing with the top 6 and Sanheim but lately he and Hagg were getting dominated together.

Regardless, I was just kidding around about the people who drastically overrate him and the other new guys. He’s not terrible or anything, but he’s been overrated by many. The real problem is the Swede.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Braun played about as well as you could expect from a player of his age and caliber. And it’s not the end of the world if they re-sign him to a Pandemic discounted contract either (I’d rather not but...). That still doesn’t mean it wasn’t an overpay.

He’s a third pair defenseman who can fill in a Top 4 role provided that team has skilled puck movers and offensively savvy LHD, of which the Flyers are as well equipped with as any team in the league. If people want to die on the hill that one year of that type of player coming off of a down year is worth the 41st overall pick and another top 100 pick the following year, when that wasn’t even the going rate that summer, God Bless them. Not to mention the trickle down effect it had on Gostisbehere’s usage and Myers starting the season in the AHL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Braun played about as well as you could expect from a player of his age and caliber. And it’s not the end of the world if they re-sign him to a Pandemic discounted contract either (I’d rather not but...). That still doesn’t mean it wasn’t an overpay.

He’s a third pair defenseman who can fill in a Top 4 role provided that team has skilled puck movers and offensively savvy LHD, of which the Flyers are as well equipped with as any team in the league. If people want to die on the hill that one year of that type of player coming off of a down year is worth the 41st overall pick and another top 100 pick the following year, when that wasn’t even the going rate that summer, God Bless them. Not to mention the trickle down effect it had on Gostisbehere’s usage and Myers starting the season in the AHL.

I'm going to regret making this post for a million reasons, none related to you, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Niskanen may have been their best Defenseman this year. He also may not have, but I can't say that he definitively wasn't. They got downright excellent outcomes out of both D acquisitions on the scale of reasonability. As we discussed before the year, the talent was there but both would require bouncing back. We both expressed concern over betting on two of those rather than just one.

So setting aside all of the bullshit drama, is there anything to learn here? Did they just get lucky? Do they think they found an edge in defensive play evaluation? Is there anything quantitative we can point toward that strikes a commonality between the two? I haven't found one, but I haven't looked too hard yet either. It was going to be a summer project, but I guess it's appropriate to move that timeline up.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm going to regret making this post for a million reasons, none related to you, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Niskanen may have been their best Defenseman this year. He also may not have, but I can't say that he definitively wasn't. They got downright excellent outcomes out of both D acquisitions on the scale of reasonability. As we discussed before the year, the talent was there but both would require bouncing back. We both expressed concern over betting on two of those rather than just one.

So setting aside all of the bullshit drama, is there anything to learn here? Did they just get lucky? Do they think they found an edge in defensive play evaluation? Is there anything quantitative we can point toward that strikes a commonality between the two? I haven't found one, but I haven't looked too hard yet either. It was going to be a summer project, but I guess it's appropriate to move that timeline up.

You stink, this opinion stinks, but your dogs are awesome. That's it. Thats the post.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

Great question. Niskanen I felt like had the better bounce back. Braun was as advertised.

I think they probably bet they wouldn’t get full seasons out of both. Would give time then to young rd in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad