Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLIII - April showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Works out as good as it could for the Flyers. Get to play 4 games that mean nothing. Vigneault's teams have usually had issues starting seasons, which is essentially what this is, and get 4 games to hopefully straighten this out. Or they don't straighten it out and at least their season ends on the ice and we're not left wondering.
Not only that but refs are gonna be rusty as f*** and make even more egregious calls than usual. Goalies are gonna be all over the place before settling in and stupid habs who always seems to have a hot start to the season are facing the forces of evil pens team.
Also doesn't Tampa usually have some crazy steaks to start the year? What matchup are we getting?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Amidst all the mistakes of sens past couple of seasons, their failure to resign karlsson is a huge feather in their cap. Probably means their gonna end up f***ing up again.
Meh more of a Sharks blunder than an Ottawa heist. That pick should have been lottery protected if not excluded all together. Why do teams insist on putting conditions on pending UFAs? Better yet why do teams agree to them? Every year! :laugh:

Hockey is easily the worst sport when it comes to condition on picks. 'Here. I'll give you a bunch of assets for your expiring contract. I'll pay him market rate plus I'll give you more good stuff if the player wants to re-sign with us.' And let's not talk about how it hurts the player's market.

Guess they are even after the Duchene fiasco.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Meh more of a Sharks blunder than an Ottawa heist. That pick should have been lottery protected if not excluded all together. Why do teams insist on putting conditions on pending UFAs. Better yet why do teams agree to them? Every year! :laugh:

Hockey is easily the worst sport when it comes to condition on picks. 'Here. I'll give you a bunch of assets for your expiring contract. I'll pay him market rate plus I'll give you more good stuff if the player wants to re-sign with us.' And let's not talk about how it hurts the players market.

Speaking of, those Duchene and Turris contracts must give preds fans a lot of joy. Also Jets Flames series is definitely gonna be defense optional.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meh more of a Sharks blunder than an Ottawa heist. That pick should have been lottery protected if not excluded all together. Why do teams insist on putting conditions on pending UFAs? Better yet why do teams agree to them? Every year! :laugh:

Hockey is easily the worst sport when it comes to condition on picks. 'Here. I'll give you a bunch of assets for your expiring contract. I'll pay him market rate plus I'll give you more good stuff if the player wants to re-sign with us.' And let's not talk about how it hurts the player's market.

they probably couldn’t to make that deal. They were already without a 1st the year they made the deal.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
How can they extend the contracts of players? Don't they end 6/30/20? Or I'm assuming the player's association agreed to extend all contracts as part of negotiations?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Sorry if I missed it, but what about players currently sent down? Are they still going to have a working waiver wire in place or what's going to happen?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
At least we get away from division series matchups and go back to the entire conference seedings

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I've seen friends post that they won't watch these playoffs, including the biggest Leafs fan I know.

I guarantee if they make it through the Blue Jackets, he'll be watching like a hawk. There are pretty good odds he'll be watching from the start.

I am dying for a Flyers Cup. I'll take it in any form, so bring these playoffs on... as long as it's safe to do so.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
they probably couldn’t to make that deal. They were already without a 1st the year they made the deal.
For some reason I thought the first going to Ottawa was a condition of Karlsson re-signing like the Evander Kane trade was structured. They ended up in this position because of the Kane trade though. They included the other half of the first round condition from the Evander Kane trade. They made the playoffs last year so that pick went to Buffalo and an unprotected 2020 1st rounder went to Ottawa.

The bubble was bound to burst with the way Wilson was running that ship, but not putting some protection on that pick was negligence. Not a chance Ottawa thought the pick would be this high so I don't see that holding up a trade with how late in the process that trade happened (and Ottawa limited their partners to the West only).

San Jose misses the 24 team playoff and the lottery. That's a tough look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad