THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
raz761O.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @mattsekeres: Was just told Desjardins spurned #Pens b/c offer was for 2 years only, no authority to hire own assts. Now expected to be hired by #Canucks

You have to love how the Penguins off-season is going so far. They can't get any of the people who want to hire to work for them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Rutherford hire was a bad choice. I can't imagine any coach with other options would want to go there knowing that you very well could be out in a year or two whether it's deserved or not because a new GM will come in & possibly want to bring his own people in.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
The Rutherford hire was a bad choice. I can't imagine any coach with other options would want to go there knowing that you very well could be out in a year or two whether it's deserved or not because a new GM will come in & possibly want to bring his own people in.

Exactly. The GM was hired and immediately became a lame duck. Why in the world would any coach, especially a first time NHL coach take a 2 year contract along with the lame duck GM? Real stupid business going on in Marioworld.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Lombardi confirmed that the Kings will not buy out Mike Richards.

I know many thought he would be bought out, some were hoping he would. is Richards going to be overpaid going forward? likely. but he is a very important part of that core and team chemistry means a ton nowadays.
Lombardi probably doesn't want to disrupt the room. With Stoll only having a year left on his deal they probably didn't want to risk losing both.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know many thought he would be bought out, some were hoping he would. is Richards going to be overpaid going forward? likely. but he is a very important part of that core and team chemistry means a ton nowadays.
Lombardi probably doesn't want to disrupt the room. With Stoll only having a year left on his deal they probably didn't want to risk losing both.

Well it's helps that Richards doesn't have NMC. If things don't work out again next year all he needs to find is one team that wants him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Just wondering, but did you ever ***** about Shelley's contract? :)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Well it's helps that Richards doesn't have NMC. If things don't work out again next year all he needs to find is one team that wants him.

obviously that does help. if he did ever want out I would guess Winnipeg or Toronto would be calling.

Just wondering, but did you ever ***** about Shelley's contract? :)

I hated the contract. Shelley was one ****ing terrible.

kinda wondering why you are asking this question now.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I hated the contract. Shelley was one ****ing terrible.

kinda wondering why you are asking this question now.
Just seemed kind of pertinent in view of what you wrote about Richards, the notion forwarded by many in the past that Shelley was a character guy that added to the team's cohesion, and their respective contracts/cap hits ;)

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany

Doesn't he?
I remember him being traded before his NTC or NMC (not sure which one) kicked him, hence it should still be active with the Kings.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just seemed kind of pertinent in view of what you wrote about Richards, the notion forwarded by many in the past that Shelley was a character guy that added to the team's cohesion, and their respective contracts/cap hits ;)

not seeing the comparison. Shelley played what 10-12 games a season? Even on Richards worst day Shelley couldn't carry his jock.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I believe it was voided with the trade, capgeek for example doesn't have him down for having one nor does Carter.

I believe its up to the team that trades for said player to pick up the NTC or NMC. Not sure what the timeline is for them to announce they are invoking or waiving the clause. I am not 100 percent on this. Far from an expert on these things but I thought I read that somewhere after the trades went down

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I believe it was voided with the trade, capgeek for example doesn't have him down for having one nor does Carter.

So NTCs/NMCs get voided always when a player is traded?

I remember when Heatley was about to get traded people were saying he won't have a NTC in SJ because he waived it in OTT. So I figured if a player doesn't waive it and is traded before it even kicks in it's still part of his contract.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
If anyone wants to refresh their hatred for the Pens, there is a piece on TSN.ca about how they tanked in '84 to get Lemieux.

Oh and Errey is in there, too.

Cheapest franchise in sports!

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If anyone wants to refresh their hatred for the Pens, there is a piece on TSN.ca about how they tanked in '84 to get Lemieux.

Honestly, other than the Flyers winning the Cup, my biggest wish in the NHL is for the Pens to continue toiling to the point where Lemieux's legacy begins to get tainted. Hopefully that would also result in the "underachiever" label being tagged on Crosby and Malkin. That would mean all four of their franchise forwards would have had their legacies tarnished.

I must say, Lemieux is on his way down that path, too. That team is a mess, and it starts at the very top.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
not seeing the comparison. Shelley played what 10-12 games a season? Even on Richards worst day Shelley couldn't carry his jock.
I'm making the comparison in terms of having a player on your team that you deem overpaid, but keep him for chemistry's sake. I'm obviously not comparing their hockey skills. So having said that, how much would you say Richards is overpaid by? I, for one, don't think he's turned into a bad player, but, yeah, that contract might be high for what he brings to the table these days.

Doesn't he?
I remember him being traded before his NTC or NMC (not sure which one) kicked him, hence it should still be active with the Kings.
If a player is traded before his NTC or NMC clause kicks in, then his new team has the option of picking or not picking it up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think that if they find a deal for Richards, they will move him. He has value. I think it will happen just before UFA season starts as some teams that feel they are not close on other deal will look to LA...and possibly Philly with Vinny.

While it does seem like there are lots of C available this year, a lot of the trading teams need to re-fill the hole. It's gonna be an exciting 2 weeks coming up!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's gonna be funny next season to watch the Pens trade away Malkin and Crosby so they can tank for McDavid. It's just a habit at this point and they can't help themselves.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Sure they do, once a player waives his no trade clause it ceases to exist.

We have had this debate on the board before and I believe that the team acquiring the player has the option of keeping that trace clause in the contract. Most do out of good faith because they usually won't trade a player who just arrived.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Honestly, and some people may think Im being ridiculous, but I feel like their 90's Stanley Cup championships should be taken away. Just leave those years with a vacant SC winner. It's not ideal but it's a lot better than a cheating organization having those cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00