Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Not the biggest fan of Freidman, but he did add value to CBC's Hotstove.
I think he's just kind of, ugh, I don't know, awkward. What he says is good, but during these playoffs he was like the kid being picked on by a bully (P.J. Stock), and he was being so meek about it that it was driving me nuts. His body language just screamed submission.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
the phillies parade in 2008 was insane. THe whole city shut down. It took me 12 hours to get home and i pissed in the streets about 4 times. I don't think ill ever go to another parade.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
the phillies parade in 2008 was insane. THe whole city shut down. It took me 12 hours to get home and i pissed in the streets about 4 times. I don't think ill ever go to another parade.

Was one of those 4 times near the parking garage on 8th just off 695? If so, you need to go bleach that, it still reeks.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I wonder how many of those two million paraders were just tagging along/bandwagoners, though (both in Chicago and Philly). I know there should be more "hardcore" hockey fans in both of those cities than there are in LA, but if I was given a choice between a parade with 300k dedicated and passionate fans and a parade with 2 million fans of "mixed" dedication, I'd go with the former. I know this probably isn't what's being compared here, but just putting it out there.

In any case, 300k seems like a huge number to me, regardless of what the turnout was in other cities.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder how many of those two million paraders were just tagging along/bandwagoners, though (both in Chicago and Philly). I know there should be more "hardcore" hockey fans in both of those cities than there are in LA, but if I was given a choice between a parade with 300k dedicated and passionate fans and a parade with 2 million fans of "mixed" dedication, I'd go with the former. I know this probably isn't what's being compared here, but just putting it out there.

In any case, 300k seems like a huge number to me, regardless of what the turnout was in other cities.

You really think those were all dedicated and passionate fans? :laugh: Yep, in Philly and Chicago it's half bandwagoners but in LA it's all harcore fans that show up.... :shakehead

RJ8812*

Sportsnet will pull a lot of guys from CBC, I reckon.

doesnt really matter when TSN has the far superior crew

CBC has been going downhill since the 04-05 lock-out

RJ8812*

this is funny

LA does not care about hockey. they have a good core of fans that go the to games, but outside of that, no one cares

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
LA also has more than double the population of Philadelphia.

They just don't have good fans. Their building was practically silent compared to MSG in the finals and they don't boo Bettman. I just can't defend that! :sarcasm:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
doesnt really matter when TSN has the far superior crew

CBC has been going downhill since the 04-05 lock-out

Longer than that...

There were rumours of Bob Cole retiring after the 2004 World Cup because he was sounding his age then... sadly still around 10 years later. CBC has been terrible for as long as I can remember.

RJ8812*

Longer than that...

There were rumours of Bob Cole retiring after the 2004 World Cup because he was sounding his age then... sadly still around 10 years later. CBC has been terrible for as long as I can remember.

and for some reason SN brought him in?

What are they thinking?

Hopefully Cherry is shown the door

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
LA also has more than double the population of Philadelphia.

It's just not a sports town. It's similar to Miami where there's just so much more going to even care much about them.

The Lakers are really the only team that consistently draws people in there & even then it's still treated a lot like a social event more than a sporting event. It also helps that they have the constant success & name brand as well.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Go re-read my post in full and you'll see that's not what I was saying.

I read what you said.

2m people in Philly and Chi - "I wonder how many of those two million paraders were just tagging along/bandwagoners"

300K in LA - "if I was given a choice between a parade with 300k dedicated and passionate fans and a parade with 2 million fans of "mixed" dedication, I'd go with the former"

If you meant something else then you should work on your wording.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I read what you said.

2m people in Philly and Chi - "I wonder how many of those two million paraders were just tagging along/bandwagoners"

300K in LA - "if I was given a choice between a parade with 300k dedicated and passionate fans and a parade with 2 million fans of "mixed" dedication, I'd go with the former"

So you just stopped reading after that and skipped the "I know this probably isn't what's being compared here, but just putting it out there." sentence? Interesting.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I read what you said.

Using that logic, you can't assume all 300K are diehards. Can't have it both ways.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Using that logic, you can't assume all 300K are diehards. Can't have it both ways.
That assumption was only made in a hypothetical scenario, and that's why the paragraph consisted of three, not two sentences. The third one explicitly stated that I do not believe it to be very likely that this scenario actually occurred. I fully believe both Chicago and Philly have more dedicated hockey fans than LA does.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
That assumption was only made in a hypothetical scenario, and that's why the paragraph consisted of three, not two sentences. The third one explicitly stated that I do not believe it to be very likely that this scenario actually occurred. I fully believe both Chicago and Philly have more dedicated hockey fans than LA does.

Hahahaha ok then. As you were....
Selective reading.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Compare those pics with these:

2vdmvxg.png

23ih2f9.png

20112px.png

33tpg03.png

Honestly, 300k might be generous.

100K were just waiting to cross the street.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sportsnet will pull a lot of guys from CBC, I reckon.

he's not a newsbreaker, not an editorialist. curious why someone wouldn't think much of him. he was the only value to watch hotstove, no one was watching for pj stock and glenn healy

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
At 2010 parade people were out on balconies of a bunch of building (Trump Tower , etc) and almost every office building had its workers in windows (Some throwing paper and stuff out)

It was a real fun atmosphere but the high humidity and massive crowd cause some issues

Paramedics had trouble getting thru to people in distress and then that cop ran over Hawk fans on live TV which was bad PR for city
People did the same for the Phillies parade in '08. Was pretty cool.

I want one for the Flyers though.

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
Blackhawks Parade- 6/28/13, 6/11/10 both on Fridays

Bruins Parade- 6/18/11 a Saturday.

Phillies Parade- 11/1/08 a Saturday.

Kings Parade- 6/16/14 a Monday, and 6/14/12 a Thursday.

300,000 for a parade during the work week is pretty damn good.

If the parade was held on a Friday or Saturday, I'm sure the numbers would be much, much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad