Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It only takes economic ruin to get Gus into the lineup. :laugh:

Pretty much. This team just gets under a $68.5 million cap. Players like Laughton, Alt, and Morin could be called up once the season has officially started and Pronger is on LTIR. Obviously I don't want Rosehill on the 4th line, but he can hold a roster spot at a cheap price. Another cheap backup could take Greiss' place if he's not available.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.700m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($0.735m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($4.250m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,476,429; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,623,571

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Pretty much. This team just gets under a $68.5 million cap. Players like Laughton, Alt, and Morin could be called up once the season has officially started and Pronger is on LTIR. Obviously I don't want Rosehill on the 4th line, but he can hold a roster spot at a cheap price. Another cheap backup could take Greiss' place if he's not available.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.700m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($0.735m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($4.250m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,476,429; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,623,571

Scary to think about life without Kimmo but that's not a terrible roster. I wonder if Kimmo would ever pull an Andre Dawson and say he will play for whatever they can afford.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think he could pull a Scott Niedermayer and start the season in December.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wonder if the acquisition of MacDonald might make the Flyers front office think Coburn is expendable? Remember that Edmonton really wanted Coburn but they weren't willing to pay the price. We have seen MacT over value his own players and not pull the trigger on deals. I know MacDonald is not as good defensively as Coburn but he can provide more offense from the back end and has the ability to move the puck as well.

Just me spit balling, if the team doesn't go too deep in the playoffs I have been adamant in saying there will retool the defense. If Kimmo goes, there is no doubt they are going to try and replace him with a big name.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
More reason to trade Grossman for a 2nd round pick at the draft. Waste of 3.5MM

That is quite possible as well but Coburn would get much more in return.

Grossmann is of course the most logical player to move in the off season. A second round pick just isn't sexy to me though, I would like a prospect in favor of a pick.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That is quite possible as well but Coburn would get much more in return.

Grossmann is of course the most logical player to move in the off season. A second round pick just isn't sexy to me though, I would like a prospect in favor of a pick.

Coburn at the draft to add a 2nd plus a med tier prospect would be nice.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Our playoff chances apparently went up 3% last night without playing! That is about as much of a bump than you get when you lose in OT vs a Western team!

9-8-2 likely does it now. (90% chance.)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Trading Coburn for that return would be a disaster.

They aren't going to trade Coburn unless it's in a package for a defensman who's better than him and can log even more than his 22 minutes on the top pairing.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can someone explain to me why the idiots*[MOD] at NHL.com have the Rangers, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets ranked higher on their Super 16 rankings? It makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I can't see us trading coburn. He is too important to us. We don't have any defender who can play the big minutes against hard competition like he can.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I wonder if the acquisition of MacDonald might make the Flyers front office think Coburn is expendable? Remember that Edmonton really wanted Coburn but they weren't willing to pay the price. We have seen MacT over value his own players and not pull the trigger on deals. I know MacDonald is not as good defensively as Coburn but he can provide more offense from the back end and has the ability to move the puck as well.

Just me spit balling, if the team doesn't go too deep in the playoffs I have been adamant in saying there will retool the defense. If Kimmo goes, there is no doubt they are going to try and replace him with a big name.

I don't think Coburn is great offensively but he would probably put up similar numbers as McDonald if he was getting #1 PP time.

I think Kimmo signs another one year deal.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
The Ducks are jumping down the Pens throats right now. They are so aggressive and dont let up. Quite entertaining so far.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sens board is a good read these days. They're all frustrated with Zibanejad's lack of substance and motivation. I actually really like the kid as a player and would love to see him succeed, but I get some serious satisfaction seeing him fail given all the crap Sens fans threw at Couturier in the preseason Couturier v. Zibanejad threads. Here they are if any of you want to go back and read some comedic gold before venturing over to the Sens board. :laugh:

Part 1: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1488499&highlight=couturier+zibanejad
Part 2: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1524767&highlight=couturier+zibanejad

Also, if the Sens remain in limbo, it's not at all unrealistic that Ryan walks next summer. He'd probably be traded at the deadline a la Vanek before then, but I can't imagine he'd be looking to commit long term to a franchise that is pretty mediocre at this point. (Please don't misconstrue this as me saying it's our birthright to sign him. Just pointing out the likelihood of him reaching UFA increases by the day.)

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
if they keep sucking, just wait for those Ryan to Flyers from the Sens fans and them asking for Voracek,Simmonds,Schenn,Couturier

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

I was in favor of trading Coburn before Grossmann and Schenn fell on their faces and became 5-6 defenders. Other than maybe MacD Coburn is the only complementary top 4 defender we have.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Sens board is a good read these days. They're all frustrated with Zibanejad's lack of substance and motivation. I actually really like the kid as a player and would love to see him succeed, but I get some serious satisfaction seeing him fail given all the crap Sens fans threw at Couturier in the preseason Couturier v. Zibanejad threads. Here they are if any of you want to go back and read some comedic gold before venturing over to the Sens board. :laugh:

Part 1: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1488499&highlight=couturier+zibanejad
Part 2: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1524767&highlight=couturier+zibanejad

Also, if the Sens remain in limbo, it's not at all unrealistic that Ryan walks next summer. He'd probably be traded at the deadline a la Vanek before then, but I can't imagine he'd be looking to commit long term to a franchise that is pretty mediocre at this point. (Please don't misconstrue this as me saying it's our birthright to sign him. Just pointing out the likelihood of him reaching UFA increases by the day.)
No surprise one of my *favorite* posters is all over that thread for the sens. BennyFTW is maybe one of the biggest homers we have on here. I love how some think couts had "defensive awareness* while zibby had " great defensive awareness".

One thing I like about our fan base is we generally don't have huge homers on here. Occasionally we do but for the most part we understand what we have in players and prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad