Miscellaneous NHL Talk V7.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Remember: There were many posters who wanted to hire Todd McLellan. Ended up just another fungible mediocre coach like most do.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Remember:
bb16b697389229c6efc5390e60a5fca1.png

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have no issue Hextall being patient thru the years, taking on cap dumps for better returns, etc...

But this year was SUPPOSED to be different. This was the year where we went from sellers, to adding to the roster. We added Folin who is a solid DEPTH Dman. And of course added JVR. Great starts.

Not addressing the PK...weather that's Lappy or Hak is a huge fail. It needed to be addressed in the summer, and wasn't. And all it's done is get worse. Hell...look at his OWN season ending press conference:

Specifically, he mentioned wanting to find a penalty killer “up front” to address their PK woes.- failed to add anyone

He specifically mentioned the last 22 or 23 games, plus the playoffs, almost as a base off of which to grow for the PK- ok...it's been 20 games this year and the PK has only gotten worse. Your move Hex.

Point is, Hextall is not making very EASY moves to help the team this year. That's on him.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
At least they did not hire J.Stevens, Hextall probably will... O boy, the return of John Stevens to Philly. I feel it in my bones already... Jxc will go crazy...

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I won’t defend him as a coach, but for the people so wildly impressed by Hakstol overcoming a terrible (!) roster, take a look at Edmonton’s compared to this one to see what that actually means. And we are dead even with them.

I'm not sure Edmonton has a terrible roster, more bad coaching than anything.

They do have a competent goalie in Koskinen, absolutely dominant 5 straight years in the KHL playoffs (77g .937 S%), who should get Talbot benched - who wanted the Flyers to go after Talbot? Koskinen was probably the guy we should have gone for in the offseason and dumped Neuvirth. One year $2.5M instead of Hutton's 3yr $8.75M.

McDavid - best player in the NHL
Kassian - #13-2009
Koskinen -#31-2009
Chiasson - #38-2009
Nugent-Hopkins - #1-2011
Larsson - #4-2011
Klefbom - #19-2011
Rattie - #32-2011
Nurse - #7-2013
Draisaitl - #3-2014
Puljujarvi - #4-2016

They've also added veterans like Kris Russell, Ryan Spooner, and Lucic (0verpaid, but not totally useless)

Now some of these guys have been underachievers, which is why Edmonton could pick them up, but that's what coaches are for?
But that's a lot of raw talent to work with for the right coach.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I miss Esche and Biron all of a sudden. I know fighting is down in the league. But how cool would it be (entertaining as a viewer/customer) if our goalies got in scraps? While I am a troglodyte, and enjoyed Razor's thrashing of Holtby, I mean an honest scrap between fiesty dudes.

They'd have to skate to the red line and be careful to rock'em sock'em robot without either crossing center ice, but that's doable. These are professional athletes, and goalies are phenomenal skaters.

With Esche and Biron, we knew they weren't great, but being solid back-ups they could be good. But they were entertaining. Checmanek(sp) and Bryzgalov were entertaining, but Checmanek was only entertaining when something bad happened, and ... yeah, same comment for Bryz, except maybe add, about to happen.

I do enjoy the pic of Bryz looking back into his net, looks like Simmonds just coasting in the slot. Bruins celebrating, gosh I hate Boston.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Did you really just use draft position to indicate quality in the NHL?
Hmmm....

We have 9 1st rounders on our roster plus have Simmonds, Lindblom, Ghost, Gudas Hagg. That's 14 guys!!

Yet Dead blames Oilers coaching, but not ours. Seems like a lot of raw talent on the Flyers to work with for the right coach, too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Draft position is an indicator of potential when a player is drafted, obviously, sometimes it's a miscalculation.
Other times the wrong player on the wrong team can struggle, then turn it around on the right team.

Chiasson is off to a good start
Larsson is playing well, he may never live up to the Hall trade, but big mobile D-man plays 21 minutes a night
Nurse isn't playing up to his draft spot, but still a solid starter who's took a step up last year
The other high picks are playing well or too new to write off.

Couple guys won't live up to their draft status:
Kassian is probably never more than a 4th line winger
Rattie is playing decently, getting 3rd line minutes, but first year he's been able to stick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hmmm....

We have 9 1st rounders on our roster plus have Simmonds, Lindblom, Ghost Hagg. That's 13 guys!!

Yet Dead blames Oilers coaching, but not ours. Seems like a lot of raw talent on the Flyers to work with for the right coach, too.

Our talent is a lot younger, check back in two years!
Puljujuarvi is 20, McDavid is 22 (going on 30), Nurse is 23, Draisaitl is 23. Rest are 24 or older.
6 players taken in the top 10.
Marody is only 22, so he could be the savior!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Draft position is an indicator of potential when a player is drafted, obviously, sometimes it's a miscalculation.
Other times the wrong player on the wrong team can struggle, then turn it around on the right team.

Chiasson is off to a good start
Larsson is playing well, he may never live up to the Hall trade, but big mobile D-man plays 21 minutes a night
Nurse isn't playing up to his draft spot, but still a solid starter who's took a step up last year
The other high picks are playing well or too new to write off.

Couple guys won't live up to their draft status:
Kassian is probably never more than a 4th line winger
Rattie is playing decently, getting 3rd line minutes, but first year he's been able to stick

It's the most absurd and dishonest usage of a statistic I've ever seen, and I've seen guys literally invent stats before.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not sure Edmonton has a terrible roster, more bad coaching than anything.

So, it's the Flyers bad roster being lifted up by good coaching......and the Oilers good roster being held down by bad coaching? Hmmmmmm how convenient to fit a certain narrative.....

giphy.gif

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 5.02.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 5.02.51 PM.png

FCBAF7E89FF7D7CA85E06E8F10170911A75827F3

You've outdone yourself.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Our talent is a lot younger, check back in two years!
Puljujuarvi is 20, McDavid is 22 (going on 30), Nurse is 23, Draisaitl is 23. Rest are 24 or older.
6 players taken in the top 10.
Marody is only 22, so he could be the savior!
Sure...if you want to ignore that we have Giroux, Voracek, Couturier and JVR and they don't.

We have 6 top 10 picks too on our roster.

So we have as many top 10 picks, more 1st rounders, way better vets, yet you think the Oilers have lots of raw talent to work with. But the Flyers...and Hak, don't.

Once again, you are jumping thru hoops to defend Hak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad